October 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

7 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah in a way it’s not fair to the tree to be forced to live so far outside of its normal climatological conditions. Almost as cruel as transporting a fragile California yuppie into the Cascade foothills and expecting it to thrive.

Jesse is back to throwing rocks... surprise, surprise.

We love it here!   And we can cash out and move anywhere at any time.   Not sure I will be able to convince my wife to move though.

You seem like a very fragile climate change warrior who is withering in a warming world.   Poor Jesse.    😀

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

My brother lives in Coquille. I bet palms would do well there. Seems like an extraordinarily mild climate, and far enough from the coastline that the marine layer is not always dominant. 

Going down the coast through Oregon into Northern California, palms (at least the big tall ones) don’t seem to become really prevalent until the Eureka/Arcata area.

I find that interesting since that area has some of the most consistently cool and gloomy summers in the lower 48. Winters are very mild though so that probably plays a bigger role in survivability.

9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah in a way it’s not fair to the tree to be forced to live so far outside of its normal climatological conditions. 

Trees have emotions and feelings now.    Won't anyone think of the trees??  

• Excited 1
  • Troll 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

ATM!

Your favorite category? The college?

55F and sunny.

• Sun 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

7 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

My brother lives in Coquille. I bet palms would do well there. Seems like an extraordinarily mild climate, and far enough from the coastline that the marine layer is not always dominant. 

They would probably thrive there. Florence and Newport have a decent amount of healthy palms. Brookings and Gold Beach have some very impressive specimens. I'm okay with them there in the banana belt of Oregon.

5c096eb9ce5e0_GoldBeach1.JPG.943b89bab1e 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dolt said:

They would probably thrive there. Florence and Newport have a decent amount of healthy palms. Brookings and Gold Beach have some very impressive specimens. I'm okay with them there in the banana belt of Oregon.

I've noticed that too. Even though that's more impressive than anything we can muster I still consider those northerly palms, though. The big tall LA style ones (not sure of their technical name) don't show up until you are well into Humboldt County, CA.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I've noticed that too. Even though that's more impressive than anything we can muster I still consider those northerly palms, though. The big tall LA style ones (not sure of their technical name) don't show up until you are well into Humboldt County, CA.

Pretty sure the big tall LA palms are either Washingtonia Robusta or Washingtonia Filifera (fan palms). They shouldn’t have any problem growing on the southern OR coast.

The one shown in the picture is a Canary Island Date Palm which has similar cold hardiness.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Pretty sure the big tall LA palms are either Washingtonia Robusta or Washingtonia Filifera (fan palms). They shouldn’t have any problem growing on the southern OR coast.

The one shown in the picture is a Canary Island Date Palm which has similar cold hardiness.

What about in the Stampede Pass region of the San Joaquin valley? 🤔 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Thrilling discussion about palm trees!  

Palm trees used to thrive in WA state during warmer periods of our climate history.    The Earth is ever-changing.  

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 4
  • Troll 1

Just now, FroYoBro said:

I’m glad Tim never gets involved in these silly discussions. Things could get a little silly around here if he ever did! 

I was sleeping last night when this discussion started.   Not on me!

I just found it funny that Phil acts like he has never heard of palm trees in the PNW every time it comes up.  :)

• Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1

Just now, Eujunga said:

GFS ensembles showing remarkable consensus for 10 days out.

Only a 30ºC spread between coolest and warmest members.

At least the cooler solutions are still on life support. Looks like a stretch of decent October weather regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Thanks for letting us know your very important take on where specific trees should grow!  

They seem to do just fine around here.    There are many palm trees even out here and they did fine through our epic cold and snow last February.

Here is a nice pic from Vancouver BC to make you smile... 

img00215-20100524-1701-scaled-10001.jpg

Is that the French Riviera!!! haha

• Downvote 1

An ice age? Perhaps a minor one, sure.... Fantastic tree discussions everyone.

Well 12z runs are in a word, progressive. Very progressive. I think that makes sense given the burgeoning Nina underway. If that's how it's going to be let's just blow this ridge out and return to damp westerlies. C'MON!!!!

18z GFS in 2 hours 39 minutes

00z GFS in 8 hours 39 minutes

00z GEM/CMC in 9 hours 11 minutes

00z ECMWF in 10 hours 56 minutes

• Snow 1

8 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

An ice age? Perhaps a minor one, sure.... Fantastic tree discussions everyone.

Well 12z runs are in a word, progressive. Very progressive. I think that makes sense given the burgeoning Nina underway. If that's how it's going to be let's just blow this ridge out and return to damp westerlies. C'MON!!!!

18z GFS in 2 hours 39 minutes

00z GFS in 8 hours 39 minutes

00z GEM/CMC in 9 hours 11 minutes

00z ECMWF in 10 hours 56 minutes

Progressive?

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Up to 59F. Another gorgeous day. Kiddos will have plenty of time outside this weekend!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

11 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

We need a really hard core winter to take them out.  I remember in 1990 a lot of non native stuff got wiped out.  Time for another purge!

I think it was Feb 1989 you are thinking about. That was colder than Dec 1990. Feb 1989 killed a lot of non-native stuff. I had just moved to Seattle the following spring and the carnage at the Washington Park Arboretum was quite evident.

There are no palms in my neighborhood. It gets blasted by Fraser outflow too much for them.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.