October 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The cottonwoods behind our house were pretty much bare one year ago... which was really early.

They are still fairly green today... 

20201022_140917.jpg

It almost looks like you manipulated the saturation on this photo, but I'm guessing you didn't. 

• Troll 2

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Just now, jakerepp said:

It almost looks like you manipulated the saturation on this photo, but I'm guessing you didn't. 

I truly didn't.    I do have a new Galaxy S20 though. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Very nice! You enjoying it? 

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Galaxy S20? Wow. I swear they were just on the Galaxy 10. However, I only stick to Apple usually. Is that the phone that can bend?

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Galaxy S20? Wow. I swear they were just on the Galaxy 10. However, I only stick to Apple usually. 

I think they jumped from 10 to 20.

We switched to T-Mobile and I got a new phone for free out of the deal!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I think they jumped from 10 to 20.

We switched to T-Mobile and I got a new phone for free out of the deal!

It confused me too, but that's what they did. They might have been concurrent with each other even.

Did you jump from Verizon? I had Verizon through work but we switched to T-Mobile and I was blown away at how much better it was.

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

3 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

It confused me too, but that's what they did. They might have been concurrent with each other even.

Did you jump from Verizon? I had Verizon through work but we switched to T-Mobile and I was blown away at how much better it was.

Yep... switched from Verizon. 

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

The cottonwoods behind our house were pretty much bare one year ago... which was really early.

They are still fairly green today... 

20201022_140917.jpg

Fwiw the transition was crazy fast here this month. Will probably hold true up there too.

Was deep green 2 weeks ago. Now we’re at/beyond peak with many trees almost bare. Like a switch flipped.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Fwiw the transition was crazy fast here this month. Will probably hold true up there too.

Was deep green 2 weeks ago. Now we’re at/beyond peak with many trees almost bare. Like a switch flipped.

Was also insanely fast here. Started late and now many bare trees.

• Like 3

A forum for the end of the world.

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z GFS looks almost exactly like the 12Z ECMWF... solid trend today towards troughing later next week.  

My condolences. 

1 hour ago, jakerepp said:

SaturationGate!

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

In the low 50s here, peaked at 54F. So weird seeing such a brilliantly sunny sky without the unseasonable heat that's been associated with it in the last couple months. Very refreshing.

• Like 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

19 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

In the low 50s here, peaked at 54F. So weird seeing such a brilliantly sunny sky without the unseasonable heat that's been associated with it in the last couple months. Very refreshing.

Daytime highs have not been that anomalously warm.    Its just the normal change of seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Daytime highs have not been that anomalously warm.    Its just the normal change of seasons. 

We were talking about hitting 90 and setting records the first week of October along with plenty of lingering smoke from the September disaster. An average high in Portland today is 61 and as of Sunday night they've only had one below average day, last Thursday. The fall colors are slow for a reason this year. 

3 minutes ago, El_Nina said:

We were talking about hitting 90 and setting records the first week of October along with plenty of lingering smoke from the September disaster. An average high in Portland today is 61 and as of Sunday night they've only had one below average day, last Thursday. The fall colors are slow for a reason this year. 

The warmest temp in Seattle this month has been 73.    And there have only been 3 days above 70 degrees.

I would not call that "heat".     I know some of you melt when its above 45 though.   :)

• Troll 1

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The warmest temp in Seattle this month has been 73.    And there have only been 3 days above 70 degrees.

I would not call that "heat".     I know some of you melt when its above 45 though.   :)

The first 10 days of this month alone produced 7 70 degree days in Portland, including hitting 80 on the second. The daytime heat wasn't as extreme the 10-20 but nights were still struggling to even get down into the 40s. 

15 minutes ago, El_Nina said:

It was only the warmest first half of fall on record for many places. Totally normal :) (normal being my preferences)

• Confused 1
  • Popcorn 1

3 minutes ago, El_Nina said:

The first 10 days of this month alone produced 7 70 degree days in Portland, including hitting 80 on the second. The daytime heat wasn't as extreme the 10-20 but nights were still struggling to even get down into the 40s. 

He is north Seattle... not Portland.  

There has been not any "heat" this month up here.   Of course that is all subjective.

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

1 minute ago, El_Nina said:

I don't see how you can acknowledge the slow fall colors but not what's causing it. Kind of strange. 

Lots of rain... and warm nights.     That is the main reason for the slow fall colors.  

When its really dry... the trees just turn brown and go bare early.    And it takes chilly nights to really bring out the colors.

• Sun 1

Just now, Jesse said:

People who play constant mind games with others usually play them with themselves too.

You must be speaking from experience...  seriously.  

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Lots of rain... and warm nights.     That is the main reason for the slow fall colors.  

When its really dry... the trees just turn brown and go bare early.    And it takes chilly nights to really bring out the colors.

That theory falls apart though when you see how dry it's been for much of the region. It's definitely the warm temperatures.

I consider "heat" to be anything above 80 degrees.

Seattle has touched 80 degrees one time in the last 6 weeks.   I don't remember much "heat" up here since about September 10th.    But again... its semantics.     You could tell the seasons are changing when its sunny during the day and only in the 50s... like today.   

• Like 1

Just now, El_Nina said:

That theory falls apart though when you see how dry it's been for much of the region. It's definitely the warm temperatures.

I literally have no idea what your tree colors look like down there... and the person making the comment is in North Seattle.

Its been a wet fall so far up here... particularly the last month.   That is lots of rain which saved the trees from going bare early from dryness like what appeared to be happening in early September.

anomimage (5).png

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

1 minute ago, Omegaraptor said:

Anything south of the Thurston/Lewis line is California.

Can we have a Seattle area discussion without considering that you live in a different state?    😀