The Weather Forums

October 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Yeah they are a huge eyesore. I’ve never seen the draw. Especially when our towering native fir trees look so nice on their own.

We need a really hard core winter to take them out.  I remember in 1990 a lot of non native stuff got wiped out.  Time for another purge!

• Like 2
  • Troll 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the snow thus far

By far the most impressive October storm I've witnessed here since 2012 when I bought property. Ended up with 9 inches of powder and is currently 22 degrees down from 24 at 9am. 

Just catching up to everything this morning. I think given that the user base of the forum has been somewhat of a close knit community for 15+ years, there is a bit of leeway given when it comes to be

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

After reflecting on tonight's model runs a little bit I'm not terribly disappointed in the direction they have gone.  When looking at the ECMWF in particular it looks very favorable for frosty nights in the in the 6 to 10 period with seasonable daytime temps in all likelihood.  Good leaf turning weather, and that is pretty important to me at this stage.  I still say our time is going to come with this strong Nina in play.  At this point I'm just happy we have put the horrible pattern of September and early October behind us.  There is of course the chance the models will be back to a really cold pattern again tomorrow anyway.

Wish we could say the same. Still just warmer than normal here almost every day which feels pretty much the same as the last 2 months.

• Sad 2

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 23 (Most recent: Dec 5, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Wish we could say the same. Still just warmer than normal here almost every day which feels pretty much the same as the last 2 months.

Yeah....I guess there has been kind of a north to south gradient with this.  I thought it got pretty chilly down there last night or at least it did around Portland.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

The EPS looks pretty favorable for chilly nights in the 6 to 10 period also.  Actually a bit better placement and better intensity of the offshore ridge than the 12z.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

Looks like somebody hacked the site.  I wouldn't click on any of those links that look like Chinese characters.

• Confused 2
  • Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

1 minute ago, DJ Droppin said:

Go Canada!

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/short_range/tools/gifs/500hght_comp_can610.gif

There are still some ensemble members on the GFS and EPS that look pretty cold so who knows.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

No doubt the GEM gets colder than a brass monkey's arse in the 6 to 10 day period.

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

Just now, DJ Droppin said:

Which site?

Ours.  It you look at the entire Western Forums page it's a mess.

• Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

9 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It wasn’t that bad this far north, but the further south you were, the more it sucked, and it sucked particularly badly for those south of Seattle.

The epic, top-tear, all-time record breaking cold the GFS was forecasting just was not believable. It was inevitable there was going to be some backpedaling from that.

I had a full week with lows below 20°, including one in single digits, and a couple days where the high failed to crack 20. High of only 15° on the 14th, with a low that morning of 11° and 9° the following morning. Seemed like the outflow was ripping for a week-and-a-half straight with no let-up. I don't know what qualifies as top-tier cold, but it was plenty chilly on the border.  I do seem to recall that there was a dramatic north-south temperature gradient, though.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yeah....I guess there has been kind of a north to south gradient with this.  I thought it got pretty chilly down there last night or at least it did around Portland.

I wouldn’t take him too seriously. Eugene’s average temp was the same as Seattle’s today.

40 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Looks like somebody hacked the site.  I wouldn't click on any of those links that look like Chinese characters.

Korean

Hopefully Fred is able to get a certification and get the board secure soon.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Downvote 1

Personal Stats:

52 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think it was colder up north. Currently 46F.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Personal Stats:

52 for the low this morning. We’ve had 4 lows in the 40s so far this fall...but we’re yet to have consecutive lows in the 40s still. Soon enough we will be getting consistent cold lows. 

• Like 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

Gfs and the euro show pretty low rain amounts particularly in the south sound the next 10 days. NW flow...so will probably get 0.25” or so during that time period. 

• Sun 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

Great discussion about palm trees last night!    We have only discussed this 100+ times and Phil acts super surprised every time... and Jim talks about killing all of them every time.    😀

• Like 1
  • Troll 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I'll be dammed if the 6z EPS control doesn't look like the 0z Canadian at day 6.  The mean looks a little bit better at that time also with a more solid looking block over the GOA.  There are a also a good number of cold GFS ensemble members.  A cold outcome could still happen.

• Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

13 minutes ago, MossMan said:

My relatives in Minnesota just posted a video on FB of snow falling at their place! ❤️ 

Its just a quick moving band... but I did find some traffic cams in the Twin Cities showing snow falling.

C557 (1).jpg

C551.jpg

• Snow 6

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Global SSTA configuration resembles 1988 very closely. A bit more +IOD/+PMM this year, perhaps. But dāmn it’s close.

image.jpeg
cdas-sflux_ssta_relative_global_1.png

• Sun 1
  • Snow 1
34 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its just a quick moving band... but I did find some traffic cams in the Twin Cities showing snow falling.

C557 (1).jpg

C551.jpg

They are in the Ham Lake area just north of the Twin Cities. 

• Snow 1
55 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Great discussion about palm trees last night!    We have only discussed this 100+ times and Phil acts super surprised every time... and Jim talks about killing all of them every time.    😀

Palm trees belong in the tropics. People torture those poor trees trying to grow them in places they struggle to survive. It’s so silly.

People try to grow them here all the time. They usually survive 3-5 years before a major cold wave roars in and freeze dries them in a week. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1
9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Palm trees belong in the tropics. People torture those poor trees trying to grow them in places they struggle to survive. It’s so silly.

People try to grow them here all the time. They usually survive 3-5 years before a major cold wave roars in and freeze dries them in a week. 

Thanks for letting us know your very important take on where specific trees should grow!  

They seem to do just fine around here.    There are many palm trees even out here and they did fine through our epic cold and snow last February.

Here is a nice pic from Vancouver BC to make you smile... 

img00215-20100524-1701-scaled-10001.jpg

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Trachycarpus fortunei (windmill palms) are hardy down to 0°F. 

The average winter at PDX, per 1991-20 stats, has a lowest temperature of 21°F.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here is another article for Phil... all about the palm trees in Vancouver BC.  

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-palm-trees-planting

At the end of the article there is a poll and 86% of the people responding said they should plant more palm trees around the area.   :)

4953718186_3c23ea6eb8_b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 4
  • Troll 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Here is another article for Phil... all about the palm trees in Vancouver BC.  

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-palm-trees-planting

At the end of the article there is a poll and 86% of the people responding said they should plant more palm trees around the area.   :)

4953718186_3c23ea6eb8_b.jpg

People love growing them on the island, they struggle with our dry summers more than anything we get in the winter. It'd probably take another Jan 1950 to kill them off, and even then I'm sure the more established ones would survive.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Thanks for letting us know your very important take on where specific trees should grow!  

They seem to do just fine around here.    There are many palm trees even out here and they did just fine through our epic cold and snow last February.

Here is a nice pic from Vancouver BC to make you smile... 

The hardiest palm plants like Trachycarpus fortunei can survive down close to zero. Doesn't mean it's ideal for them, and repeated exposure to temps like that would finish them off. Another winter like 1949-50 or even 1978-79 would certainly do the trick.

• Like 3

I keep falling into this trap.

Lets plant palm trees in the arctic while we’re at it. They grew naturally up there a few dozen-million years ago without issue, after all.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

The hardiest palm plants like Trachycarpus fortunei can survive down close to zero. Doesn't mean it's ideal for them, and repeated exposure to temps like that would finish them off. Another winter like 1949-50 or even 1978-79 would certainly do the trick.

Prayers for all the palm trees Tim has probably killed on his crusade.

• Popcorn 1
3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lets plant palm trees in the arctic while we’re at it. They grew naturally up there a few dozen-million years ago without issue, right?

We get it... you hate palm trees.   

And our coastal zones are pretty far from arctic.    

• Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Lets plant palm trees in the arctic while we’re at it. They grew naturally up there a few dozen-million years ago without issue, after all.

You should spend a winter here sometime, just so you can see what it’s really like.

Seattle’s average midwinter low temp is only a couple degrees colder than the average midwinter low temp 700 miles farther south in the San Joaquin Valley, lol. Just like how summers are all the same swampy humid shitt once you get south of Philly.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

You should spend a winter here sometime, just so you can see what it’s really like.

Seattle’s average midwinter low temp is only a couple degrees colder than the average midwinter low temp 700 miles farther south in the San Joaquin Valley, lol. Just like how summers are all the same swampy humid shitt once you get south of Philly.

Phil could stay in Brennan’s illegal off the grid cabin in the woods! 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

People love growing them on the island, they struggle with our dry summers more than anything we get in the winter. It'd probably take another Jan 1950 to kill them off, and even then I'm sure the more established ones would survive.

It’s the cold (and/or dry) NW winds that cripple them here, more-so than temperatures. Even during mildish winters it has a visible effect. The ones planted in sheltered locations do much better. And the warm/wet summers usually revive them after they emerge from the winter looking sickly. 

But when it does drop to zero (once every 3-5 winters or so) the wind is guaranteed to be throwing a temper tantrum, and pretty much all of the palms wilt and die unless it’s a quick hitter.

Yet people still try. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Who knows, maybe I’ll move out there after I graduate. Plenty of family and job opportunities in my field.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

This cherrypicked comparison makes for a pretty innaccurate depiction of our mean winter conditions compared to the San Joaquin valley. But to be expected considering the source.

• Downvote 1

Flight sim forum to tree forum....Cool...lol.

According to my phone app Andrews tree is a scouts Pine as others have noted. I planted 2 palms and a Banana plant in my yard long ago around a fountain.  It was a intimate little area that gave me my Hawaii fix.  Now they are all HUGE and doing well.  So I have a tropical area in my yard along with the traditional NW yard with Fir trees. 

Time to get caught up on the weather as I’ve been playing hard and away from things.

Currently Windy with gust up to 20 mph. Temp sitting at 58* 

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic