October 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the snow thus far

By far the most impressive October storm I've witnessed here since 2012 when I bought property. Ended up with 9 inches of powder and is currently 22 degrees down from 24 at 9am. 

Just catching up to everything this morning. I think given that the user base of the forum has been somewhat of a close knit community for 15+ years, there is a bit of leeway given when it comes to be

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I have an overnight layover in Denver Sunday night. Looks like I may see some snow. 

Chiefs-Broncos game is going to be cutting it close. Could see our first snow ballgame of the season. ❄️

• Sad 1
  • Snow 3

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 23 (Most recent: Dec 5, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

Up to 59F after an overnight low of 45F. Clouds burning off.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 23 (Most recent: Dec 5, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Chiefs-Broncos game is going to be cutting it close. Could see our first snow ballgame of the season. ❄️

You seem to be out of town during winter weather. My luck has usually been the opposite. I missed the 12/14/16 snow event. flew out that day and just missed the massive traffic jam. However, we had a nice artic frontal passage with snow in NE Oklahoma a couple days later. 

• Snow 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 14.69"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

14 minutes ago, Snowdrift said:

Early season snow can be rough. It catches people off guard. 

Friend just posted this on facebook... just south of the Twin Cities.   Along with some expletives.  😃

122000971_10221703184683355_3935006818428274485_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Snow 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Friend just posted this on facebook... just south of the Twin Cities.   Along with some expletives.  😃

122000971_10221703184683355_3935006818428274485_n.jpg

Most people here get really excited about the snow!  This might ruffle some feathers if you post about it some more!  

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I picked a good woman, she noticed me looking at all the pretty weather models she calls them and said so... looks like we're heading to the cabin to see some snow? HA!! It did not take her long to catch on. 

Chesaw should do pretty well. You picked a good woman. 😉

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I picked a good woman, she noticed me looking at all the pretty weather models she calls them and said so... looks like we're heading to the cabin to see some snow? HA!! It did not take her long to catch on. 

Be sure to post pictures! I’m thinking of heading up to Anderson Mountain (between Bellingham and Mt. Vernon, elevation 3200) to see some snow. Assuming, of course, that the DNR doesn’t lock the gate.

• Snow 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

11 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

That is awesome!

• Snow 1
  • Downvote 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Most people here get really excited about the snow!  This might ruffle some feathers if you post about it some more!  

Have you ever ruffled feathers?   Jesse?    

• Excited 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Windy 1

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Be sure to post pictures! I’m thinking of heading up to Anderson Mountain (between Bellingham and Mt. Vernon, elevation 3200) to see some snow. Assuming, of course, that the DNR doesn’t lock the gate.

I barely knew they opened the gate. I've been up there a couple times and had to park just off of 9 every time. Love the chair at the top with the view of the San Juans.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 0"

Just now, Skagit Weather said:

I barely knew they opened the gate. I've been up there a couple times and had to park just off of 9 every time. Love the chair at the top with the view of the San Juans.

There’s a gate on Alger Hill Road, reached via Skaarup Road from Parson Creek Road. That’s the entrance I use.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

Seeing the EPS following the GEM is strange.  

Blocking ridge stays in place most of the 12Z EPS run.    Much more so than the runs over the weekend and even yesterday. 

• Snow 3

00z runs tonight are real big. The fact we're saying this pre-Halloween and have a legitimate reason to do so is pretty crazy.

00z GFS in 6 hours 54 minutes

00z GEM/CMC in 7 hours 26 minutes

00z ECMWF in 9 hours 11 minutes

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
7 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

00z runs tonight are real big. The fact we're saying this pre-Halloween and have a legitimate reason to do so is pretty crazy.

00z GFS in 6 hours 54 minutes

00z GEM/CMC in 7 hours 26 minutes

00z ECMWF in 9 hours 11 minutes

Yeah... this is going down as an historic October for parts of the US.

• Snow 2

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... this is going down as an historic October for parts of the US.

Historically warm so far here. 

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 0                         2020-21: 14.69"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

NAM is further east with the trough, about the same for the block. I figured the 06z was quite flukey with its trough position. With other models the trend is our friend.

Thank goodness it's the NAM. Mr T has more credibility. image.thumb.png.f3db429992b788143d75c44a9e244ffb.png

• Popcorn 1

Sorry guys I ended up getting chased around the outside of the building at work by a whacked out homeless guy on drugs...That was a first! I was mostly worried about the snot coming out of his nose as he is screaming that he was going to kill me and everyone in the building for “abducting his cat and then murdering it” I could almost see the COVID flowing from his mouth. Anyway he got tased by the cops and hauled away. That really cut into my forum time! 

So I might see some snow...How about that!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Excited 2
  • Confused 3
  • Popcorn 3
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 2
  • Snow 2
4 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Sorry guys I ended up getting chased around the outside of the building at work by a whacked out homeless guy on drugs...That was a first! I was mostly worried about the snot coming out of his nose as he is screaming that he was going to kill me and everyone in the building for “abducting his cat and then murdering it” I could almost see the COVID flowing from his mouth. Anyway he got tased by the cops and hauled away. That really cut into my forum time! 

Glad you got away from the covid.

• Excited 1
6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Has to be a good sign for winter!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 3
7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

That cat’s gonna miss out on a bad a** winter.😢

• Excited 1
  • Sad 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

19 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Yeah, it looks like I've got about the same chance as you do.  57 here also the high, 5.98" for the month and 50.75" for the year.

• Like 1
  • Rain 1
32 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The guy will not be happy about the snow.

• Sad 2
  • Angry 1
1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

It's pretty close, bit further east though. Still warmer than the other models.

The difference between the GFS and GEM is pretty huge as far as upper level temperatures in Oregon. You would think the two will meet in the middle soon, but who knows? 

18z GFS is nearly identical to 12z with the block a few notches stronger this run, but overall still warmer than the EURO/EPS, GEM/CMCE. GFS has been doing real poorly the past 5 days, more like the past 439 years, so not really concerned.

00z GFS in 5 hours

Go Rays!

• Like 2
Just now, FroYoBro said:

The difference between the GFS and GEM is pretty huge as far as upper level temperatures in Oregon. You would think the two will meet in the middle soon, but who knows? 

With the Euro and ICON a bit more diggy (not to mention our dear friend the NAM), the GFS is now safely the warmest of the major models. Could waffle a bit more before settling.

• Like 2
46 minutes ago, MossMan said:

is there an analog for this?

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 2
46 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Holy pancakes man! The tasing part is the only good part of this story. Wow.

00z ECMWF in 7 hours 15 minutes

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

With the Euro and ICON a bit more diggy (not to mention our dear friend the NAM), the GFS is now safely the warmest of the major models. Could waffle a bit more before settling.

Agreed. We could see the GFS tonight make a big move towards the EURO digging the arctic trough out. I hope so!

00z NAM in 3 hours 9 minutes

• Excited 1

58/49 today...0.02” of precip this morning. Nice and sunny now going to head to the beach this evening for some sunset photos. 

• Like 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

Crazy that we’re actually talking about snow possibly. Probably won’t have much of an effect below 1000’ but still pretty low for this time of year. Should definitely get our first 30s of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

• iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic