The Weather Forums

October 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Beautiful day. Down to 57F after a high of 63F so a 63/48 spread. Going to enjoy some below normal temps coming up.

• Thanks 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 23 (Most recent: Dec 5, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the snow thus far

By far the most impressive October storm I've witnessed here since 2012 when I bought property. Ended up with 9 inches of powder and is currently 22 degrees down from 24 at 9am. 

Just catching up to everything this morning. I think given that the user base of the forum has been somewhat of a close knit community for 15+ years, there is a bit of leeway given when it comes to be

Posted Images

57/46 so far here today. Some morning and early afternoon showers but a mostly sunny late afternoon.

Likely to set a new low for the day by midnight.

• Excited 1
3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Wish there was a way to downvote the high temp at PDX today...

You could give yourself a gold star for thinking about following through with that particular action and maybe, just maybe find some solace in that?

Or you could post about it on some online forum board where like-minded individuals somehow find the time to angrily shake their fist/s at the sky. 

• Like 1
  • Troll 1
1 minute ago, The Blob said:

What was it? I just woke up and need something to ruin the day. 

They hit 60 😖

Although I’m sure Bezos will find much more efficient ways to ruin the remainder of your day.

• Angry 1
  • Sun 1
  • Troll 1
12 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Can’t see much here since that was taken during the annual algae bloom but when the water is clear you can see more of it.  

EEB9806A-910F-43D7-8945-0B86CCE51D84.jpeg

Could of swore I saw that on the Disney Jungle Cruise! 

• Troll 2
8 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I assume it crashed during a VERY icy January 1950 morning commute?

That was my first thought when I first found it back in the late 1990’s! Could have been!!

16 minutes ago, Jbolin said:

You could give yourself a gold star for thinking about following through with that particular action and maybe, just maybe find some solace in that?

Or you could post about it on some online forum board where like-minded individuals somehow find the time to angrily shake their fist/s at the sky. 

This isn’t that forum? :huh:

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

A high of 50 here today and a likely freeze tonight.  The cold is finally here!  The models are spitting out highs of 50 or lower for each day Friday through Sunday for SEA and very possibly Monday right now with a hard frost on at least one night outside of the big cities.  Quite good for this early.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

58 minutes ago, Jesse said:

They hit 60 😖

Although I’m sure Bezos will find much more efficient ways to ruin the remainder of your day.

They still haven't even seen a sub 60 high yet this fall.

In sharp contrast to the last two years, when they pulled off a 53 degree max on 10/5/18 and a 52 degree max on 9/29/19.

There's an outside chance they could even make a run at 60 tomorrow. And then perhaps flirt with a sub 50 high on Friday. Would be kind of funny.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

Avg. low so far this month has been 51.1. Should come down a bit over the next few days. Finally have been getting nights down into the 40s the last 10 days. Yesterday morning and this morning were the first time we’ve had back to back mornings in the 40s surprisingly. 

• Snow 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

Currently in the mid-40's around the region, give or take 5 degrees. Currently running 5-10F cooler than last night, aiming for frost in outlying areas. Finally!

SeaTac managed to reach a high of only 53F today, largely the doing of the late-morning thunderstorms sapping up much of the potential heating.1986738010_chillyevening.thumb.png.5774aa557a2474ce8858d93c2ec4fbd3.png169373352_seatacchilly.png.9fe8ab58f4fdc6e5d7141119e80c8efd.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1

Don’t know my current temp...The DVD player blocks my weather station signal. The DVD player is not allowed to be used during arctic outbreaks. Sorry kids. 

currently 68.5 degrees in the house. 

8C8CF8CB-EDEF-44A0-85F2-E95AAD381054.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

48 currently. It’s already colder than most morning lows so far this fall.

• Snow 2

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

6 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Don’t know my current temp...The DVD player blocks my weather station signal. The DVD player is not allowed to be used during arctic outbreaks. Sorry kids. 

The Grinch! I’m watching Friday the 13th ....‘‘tis the season” 

46*

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1
7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

I love the dog.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, MossMan said:

65 days of Christmas!!

• Sun 1
  • Snow 1

A Winter Storm Watch has been hoisted for the Spokane area. I have a feeling it will end up as a Winter Weather Advisory for downtown and the valley. But it's still fun to track regardless of the ultimate outcome.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
18 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Christmas film before Thanksgiving...uh oh!!!

• Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 23 (Most recent: Dec 5, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, Snowdrift said:

A Winter Storm Watch has been hoisted for the Spokane area. I have a feeling it will end up as a Winter Weather Advisory for downtown and the valley. But it's still fun to track regardless of the ultimate outcome.

Maybe premature but there's a pretty good chance that GEG surpasses 1" snowfall with this. If that's the case, then it'll mark the first time officially that the city has seen an inch or more in back to back Octobers.

For added context, prior to last year GEG hadn't seen measurable snow in October since 2001.

• Snow 1
1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

Maybe premature but there's a pretty good chance that GEG surpasses 1" snowfall with this. If that's the case, then it'll mark the first time officially that the city has seen an inch or more in back to back Octobers.

For added context, prior to last year GEG hadn't seen measurable snow in October since 2001.

You are correct. I feel good about recent Octobers. We need an old school January. I'm satisfied with every other month on the calendar. January has been hot trash. Although it is getting better. Here's a little factoid. On average Spokane sees its first 1 inch snowfall on November 19th.

• Like 1

Already down to 42 OMG!

• Excited 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

18z GFS was an improvement and the 00z NAM is starting off stronger than its 18z counterpart. This mainly has implications for Spokanites, though a deeper trough would mean cooler air for Seattle, and a more intimate taste of what may come this winter. Honestly could see lows in the upper 20's at SeaTac, something not seen in October for quite some time.

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

Down to 40, lowest temp so far this fall.  I have a feeling I may be thawing my wife's car in the morning.  Hopefully I will be able to get the rest of my crap dried out tomorrow so we can get her car in the garage tomorrow night. 

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Beautiful day. Down to 57F after a high of 63F so a 63/48 spread. Going to enjoy some below normal temps coming up.

Amazing how bad you have torched down there.  It's been bad here, but nothing like you've had.  It only got to 50 here today.

• Troll 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

8 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

18z GFS was an improvement and the 00z NAM is starting off stronger than its 18z counterpart. This mainly has implications for Spokanites, though a deeper trough would mean cooler air for Seattle, and a more intimate taste of what may come this winter. Honestly could see lows in the upper 20's at SeaTac, something not seen in October for quite some time.

There does seem to be a very slow improving trend in the home stretch on most of the models.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 13

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

19 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Already down to 42 OMG!

Do you have a PWS?

I looked up "Covington WA NWS" and the nearest NWS hourly recording station (actually a CWOP) is EW6690 Maple Valley which is actually at 38 right now. However they are way up at 770'.

00z NAM Day 2 to 3.5. Much better looking. Block stronger, cold trough bit further west in BC, and it digs back over eastern WA/OR. Let's hope this continues with all 00z runs tonight. C'MON!!!!

10-21-20_00z_NAM_48-84.gif

• Thanks 1
  • iFred unpinned and unfeatured this topic