The Weather Forums

.. As I've said.  (?) (!!)

... I'll, just stick to my own views regarding what a "flawed theory" is.  More in fact. 

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/526-global-warming/?p=71544

Just because a theory is flawed doesn't make it wrong.

.. When a theory is wrong, it's flawed.

The only other flaw in whatever theory, being where a person having come up with one, has perhaps made an error where having stated or written down what they'd actually had in mind differently. 

... Like all theories, it is flawed.

"All theories", neither .."are flawed", nor "have flaws".

And if you think they are or do, then you've successfully, deluded yourself.

Unknown elements have nothing to do with a theory's being wrong. And so neither, their being flawed. 

.. If you like thinking so, you have my full blessing.

... not being able to "see" [different elements of a theory] is one thing. Not being able to calculate them or explain them is another.

.. Logically, no theory is "flawed", until "shown to be". .. "Implausible", "Lacking in some (even any.) measure of good sense", perhaps. (More basic "judgement" calls.)-But not "flawed".

---
  • Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was the first time I'd opened this thread in months. I also try to remain as apolitical as possible when it comes to climate science, so you'll never hear political scrutiny from me unless I'm p

The human race is relatively insignificant. The planet could exterminate us very, very easily.   You could fit all of those 7 billion people, standing side by side, into the state of Maine (probably w

I had heard he was considering this for several years. I corresponded with him a few times on Texas. He's one west coaster I'm thrilled to welcome to the Lone Star State!

Posted Images

When a theory is wrong, it's flawed. When a theory is flawed, it's not necessarily wrong.

Unknown elements within a theory will derail it's original premise and/or transitional assortment, so yes, they're "flaws" in the framework of the theory.

-
First off, with the "evaluation" ("experiment".), relative to the various theories on the table certainly still ongoing where regarding the potential where looking at Global Warming, I'd say your quotation tacked in here above is certainly correct. If with the "ongoing" element that I've pointed to here working to put your statement above it to the test.

Otherwise, regarding "Phil's" fairly ridiculous notion, that "All theories are flawed", and with his having registered that he's "Liked" what you've quoted cited here above, the quote certainly works well enough for me, here too. If again here.

.. Logically, no theory is "flawed", until "shown to be". .. "Implausible", "Lacking in some (even any.) measure of good sense", perhaps. (More basic "judgement" calls.)-But not "flawed".

Regarding "Assumptions". Basic to most all "Theories".

From "Isaac Asimov's" "Understanding Physics", ....

" .. something accepted without proof, and [with its being] incorrect to speak of as either true or false, since there is no way of proving it to be either. (If there were, it would no longer be an assumption.)" 

.. To which he's added, following, ...

".. It is better to consider assumptions as either useful or useless, depending on whether or not deductions made from them correspond to reality. If two [different] deductions both lead to deductions that correspond to reality, then the one that explains more is the more useful"

Beyond these thoughts, of course there's, still. (?), what actually transpires to consider, where looking at whatever thinking, assumption, or set of assumptions strung together making up a theory.

From .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory

"... A theory provides an explanatory framework for some observation, and from the [various ?] assumptions of  (making up. ?) the explanation follows a number of possible hypotheses that can be tested in order to provide support for, or challenge, the theory."

.. More definitively, .. Even the more basic framework of a theory, may be "ill-constructed", even "ill-concieved". But until shown to be, the theory isn't.

-

---

Otherwise, regarding "Phil's" fairly ridiculous notion, that "All theories are flawed", and with his having expressed that he's "liked" it above, the quote certainly works well enough for me, here too. If again here.

Not to be rude, but can you just shut the f**k up already? If you want to continue spouting your misinformed viewpoints everywhere, be my guest, but don't drag my name into it.

You clearly have no idea what a theory is, nor how to analyze one via the scientific method. At least that's what I think, based on the crap I've read from you today.

Yes, all theories are flawed because they're reductive and incomplete..there's a clear distinction between fact/observation, and the more theoretical realms..

One of your main and more typical routes of course here above, where considering the discussion anything, and where faced with what you don't like seeing posted regarding your thinking. (Who can characterize it, otherwise.) .. Your having worked to obfuscate the main points that I've in fact cited regarding the general theme here, with your having worked more only to have tried to characterize my input as uninformed and more naive. @

Happy "theorizing" professor. ..... http://www.beansthatjump.com/

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/526-global-warming/?p=71543  @

$ .. "All theories are flawed".  ".. Certainly sound, thinking."

@

---

Study: Human-caused global warming behind Calif. drought

Human-caused climate change helped fuel the current California drought, says a Stanford University study released Monday.

Climate change has increased the chance that the two main weather conditions that led to the drought — higher than average temperatures and little rain or snow — will occur at the same time, the study shows.

Almost 98% of California is now enduring a drought, which is entering its fourth year and shows no signs of relenting, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.

The study, led by Stanford scientist Noah Diffenbaugh, found that the worst droughts in California's history occurred when conditions were both dry and warm, and that global warming is increasing the probability those two weather patterns will coincide.

Diffenbaugh said having very dry years that are also very warm would not have happened without human influence.

Burning of fossil fuels such as oil, gas and coal increases the amount of carbon dioxide and other "greenhouse" gases in the atmosphere and cause the planet to warm to levels that cannot be explained by natural causes.

The study also projected that the trend will continue of dry and warm years happening together.

Diffenbaugh and his team looked at historical weather records and computer model simulations to reach their conclusions.

Other scientists not involved in the Stanford study questioned some of its methodology and findings.

Scientist Martin Hoerling with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the current lack of rain or snow in California is clearly not part of a long-term trend, or part of human-induced climate change, as many studies have already shown.

He also said a drought measurement tool used by the Stanford team — the Palmer Drought Severity Index — is "flawed and unreliable" to assess the impact of climate change.

"The warming trend can only account for a small fraction of the actual warmth in California the past two winters," Columbia University scientist Richard Seager said.

He said most of the warm temperatures were caused by the same ridge of high pressure in the atmosphere that also minimized any rain or snow.

Hoerling and Seager were co-authors of a NOAA report in December that said natural weather patterns, not man-made global warming, were the primary cause of the drought.

The Stanford study appeared in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

More doom and gloom fodder from the so called, 97%. California has gone through many droughts way before humans even roamed the planet. And wouldn't you know it, flawed studies produced this nonsense.

More doom and gloom fodder .... from .. the so called, 97%. California has gone through many droughts way before humans even roamed the planet. And wouldn't you know it, flawed studies produced this nonsense. ["... Ya don't have to look very far to find more. HOAX, any way ya spel it. End of story. Who are they, tryin' to kid?]

Did the different elements of the article that you've reprinted above, "smell funny" when you were reading it.

(In the light of all of the data that you've talked about being aware of more sound. ?) 

Stay tuned for more good stuff like this. Pretty much. Right. ?

... and it doesn't seem very believable (scientific) at all. Throw in the politically affected socioeconomic mess (including the Age of Instant Gratification) that drives the emotional responses, and it just leaves a foul taste.

.. Nice wall-paper.

---

I have always wondered how the alarmists explain volcanic eruptions??? Imagine the ghastly amounts of CO2 this bad boy is belching into the atmosphere. While this eruption goes on, the fanatical lunatics at the EPA make new regulations like chain saw emissions. Its such a crock, someone please pinch me...

http://binaryapi.ap.org/aac00c22aa1947b89601af22d88fe25b/460x.jpg

PUCON, Chile (AP) — One of South America's most active volcanoes erupted early Tuesday in southern Chile, spewing heavy smoke into the air as lava surged down its slopes, prompting authorities to evacuate thousands of people.

The Villarrica volcano erupted around 3 a.m. local time, according to the National Emergency Office, which issued a red alert and ordered evacuations. Local media showed images of the volcano bursting at the top, glowing in the dark amid heavy smoke and rivers of lava. Authorities worried that mudslides caused by melting snow could endanger nearby communities, but no injuries were reported.

The 9,000 foot (2,847-meter) volcano in Chile's central valley, 400 miles (670 kilometers) south of Santiago, sits above the small city of Pucon, which has a population of about 22,000 people.

"It was the most amazing thing I've ever seen," 29-year-old Australian tourist Travis Armstrong said in a telephone interview from Pucon. "I've never seen a volcano erupt and it was spewing lava and ash hundreds of meters into the air. Lightning was striking down at the volcano from the ash cloud that formed from the eruption."

Chilean authorities had issued an orange alert on Monday because of increased activity at the volcano. About 3,500 people have been evacuated so far, including tourists, said Interior and Security Minister Rodrigo Penailillo.

Penailillo warned that the eruption was causing numerous rivers in the area to rise as snow along the sides of the volcano began melting. Villarrica is covered by a glacier cap covering some 40 square kilometers (15 square miles) and snow from about 1,500 meters (about 5,000 feet) on up.

Authorities were keeping an eye on four nearby communities that could be endangered by mudslides as the snow melts. Officials were also monitoring nearly 200 people who were cut off from main roads when two bridges were destroyed by rising waters from nearby rivers.

Rodrigo Alvarez, director of the National Service of Geology and Mining, issued a warning for people in the area, especially at tourists, to be careful. "This is not a fireworks show," Alvarez said, calling on people to obey official prohibitions to stay away from the volcano.

"It's an unstable volcano, all of its borders are altered," Alvarez added.

President Michelle Bache let arrived in Pucon amid cheers and boos later Tuesday to check on safety preparations, and declared an agricultural emergency to help local farmers.

"You never know when an eruption will take place but what we do know is that the activity is lower, that's visible," Bachelet said after flying over the affected areas and meeting local authorities.

Witnesses said Pucon looked like a deserted town at dawn. But as the volcanic activity decreased, some local residents had decided to return to their homes, more cars were seen in the streets, and some people had even decided to sunbathe at a nearby lake. By midday, the community's bus terminals, banks, restaurants and other businesses were operating normally.

The eruption "was something beautiful and amazing. We're still a bit shocked but the volcano has calmed down so I'm going to continue with my vacation," Alejandra Paz Bustos, 29, said as she sunbathed at nearby lake Villarrica.

Jose Manuel Reyes, the 37-year-old manager of La Bicicleta hostal in downtown Pucon, said visitors from France, Canada, Australia, South Africa and Brazil watched the early morning eruption from the building's terrace.

"We're still a bit nervous because we don't know what's happening," said Reyes. "There was nervousness, but we haven't seen any panic."

Tourists flock to the area around Villarrica for outdoor activities like kayaking, horseback riding, fishing and hiking around the volcano, which last had a major eruption in 1984. Dozens of tourists were among those evacuated. Officials said late Tuesday that about 15,000 people living in rural areas near the volcano were suffering water shortages after the eruption, and kept the red alert for nearby areas.

The Villarrica has a crater of about 200 meters (yards) in diameter and a lake of lava about 150 meters (yards) deep. It has periodic eruptions every 10 or 15 years.

Chile has more than 2,000 volcanoes in the Andes cordillera and about 90 of them remain active. Villarrica is considered among the country's most dangerous.

___

Vergara reported from Santiago, Chile. AP writer Luis Andres Henao in Santiago and Ariel Marinkovic in Pucon contributed to this report.

• 2 weeks later...

Scientists: Orbital Variations Main Cause of Climate Change

Wednesday, 11 Mar 2015 04:02 PM

By John Blosser

Global warming theorists have taken yet another hit with a new study out of Denmark which demonstrates that variations in Earth's orbit are the primary causes of climate change, and have been for at least the last 1.4 billion years.

Scientists from the University of Southern Denmark and the China National Petroleum Corporation investigated marine sediment from the Xiamaling Formation in China and determined that the sediment shows evidence that "the same orbital forcing that caused the climate to change 1.4 billion years ago is the underlying force behind global warming today," the Daily Caller reports

The research, published in PNAS
, states: "There is a wealth of evidence pointing to dramatic short-term climate change on Earth over the last few million years. Much of this climate change is driven by variations of Earth's orbit around the Sun with characteristic frequencies known as Milankovitch cycles."

Milankovitch cycles are fluctuations which occur in Earth's orbit every 20,000, 40,000 and 100,000 years, which bring about an ice age every 100,000 years or so. Currently, Earth is in the middle of a warming period, and has been for the last 11,000 years, Dr.  Donald Canfield, professor at the Nordic Center for Earth Evolution at the university and one of the principle researchers, said, the Daily Caller reported.

"This research will also help us understand how Milankovitch cyclicity ultimately controls climate change on Earth," Canfield said in a statement.

"The way our planet revolves around the sun is the ultimate control knob over the climate," the Daily Caller commented.

The study approximates findings from a study of sea surface temperatures and diatoms, marine algae, from Aarhus University in Denmark. Researcher Marit-Solveig Seidenkrantz commented: "We know that the sun is very important for our climate, but the impact is not clear. Climate change appears to be either strengthened or weakened by solar activity. The extent of the sun's influence over time is thus not constant, but we can now conclude that the climate system is more receptive to the impact of the sun during cold periods, at least in the North Atlantic region," Eureka Alert reported.

Other climate researchers dispute the effect of the sun and Earth orbits on climate change.

Gavin Schmidt, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, told the Daily Caller: "While the ranking of individual years can be affected by chaotic weather patterns, the long-term trends are attributable to drivers of climate change that right now are dominated by human emissions of greenhouse gases" from fossil fuels.

Science 2.0 states: "Natural forces have always caused climate on Earth to fluctuate — sometimes quite a bit. We can't control everything. The Earth is still going to orbit the sun and such orbital forcing of climate change happens over thousands of years and brings ice ages and warming periods."

... Baam !!

"It's official". (Sorta. .. I read it on the Internet. And the article "may" be a little biased. But, it could be sompthin' that might be, you know, the case. Not the "hit" part. The other thing.)

"... Global warming theorists have taken yet another hit ..........

I have always wondered how the alarmists explain volcanic eruptions??? ... bad boy is belching .....

http://binaryapi.ap.org/aac00c22aa1947b89601af22d88fe25b/460x.jpg

Read More .....

The type of approach to the "question" of "Global Warming" ("Cooling"), or "Climate Change", pointed to here above, .. is obviously, more in line with political rhetoric than any kind of more scientific deliberation where considering it.

Take for example above, the question, embedded within the pondering alluded to here above about "volcanic eruptions". ……

"How do the alarmists explain volcanic eruptions. ?"

…. This fairly obviously "loaded" question, with first its reference to most likely anyone feeling that "Global Warming" might be to some degree more Anthropomorphic, .. and then with this idea "established", the question inferred, put fairly ridiculously, meant to have asked something more like, .. How do these "alarmists" go about explaining all of the CO2 put into the atmosphere, by volcanos. ? .... where considering the more general CO2 / greenhouses gases element to the [more] Anthropomorphic investigation (?) (Then. ?), …. And with the question to the actual question posed, being (obviously.) .. more "geologically". 

Viewed more scientifically, i.e. analytically at all, this crap would be considered just that, a [pre] loaded question. Inductive (inclusive of a bunch of presupposition.), and no where near to a more deductive, or more in earnest and deliberative, approach to the question.

$ … And fairly obviously, this thread has been "hi-Jacked", inhabited, by this more "inductive" type of "rhetoric". (Discovered. .. by someone, wholly willing and able [apparently] to employ it, toward what ever end that they might have in mind.) .... I would suggest that you take note of this idea where and when seeing it pop up with something "new" added to it. 

---

Great paper. An overall cooling of the abyssal oceans from 1992-2011?

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/abs/10.1175/JCLI-D-14-00550.1?af=R

Estimated values of recent oceanic heat uptake are of order of a few tenths of a W/m2, and are a very small residual of air-sea exchanges with annual average regional magnitudes of hundreds of W/m2. Using a dynamically consistent state estimate, the redistribution of heat within the ocean is calculated over a 20-year period. The 20-year mean vertical heat flux shows strong variations in both the lateral and vertical directions, consistent with the ocean being a dynamically active and spatially complex heat exchanger. Between mixing and advection, the two processes determining the vertical heat transport in the deep ocean, advection plays a more important role in setting the spatial patterns of vertical heat exchange and its temporal variations. The global integral of vertical heat flux shows an upward heat transport in the deep ocean, suggesting a cooling trend in the deep ocean. These results support an inference that the near-surface thermal properties of the ocean are a consequence, at least in part, of internal redistributions of heat, some of which must reflect water that has undergone long trajectories since last exposure to the atmosphere. The small residual heat exchange with the atmosphere today is unlikely to represent the interaction with an ocean that was in thermal equilibrium at the start of global warming. An analogy is drawn with carbon-14 “reservoir ages” which range over hundreds to a thousand years.

Al Gore at SXSW: We Need to ‘Punish Climate-Change Deniers’ and ‘Put a Price on Carbon’

The South by Southwest (SXSW) Festival is happening now in Austin, Texas. Running from March 9 to 22, it’s a massive film, interactive and music festival that is nearly 20 years old. The festival brings together designers, developers, investors, entrepreneurs and politicians for panels and discussions about technology and innovation.

http://ecowatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/algore.jpg“We need to put a price on carbon to accelerate these market trends,” said Gore. “And in order to do that, we need to put a price on denial in politics.” stocklight / Shutterstock.com

For the third time in the last few years, Al Gore, founder and chairman of the Climate Reality Project, spoke at the festival on Friday. Naturally, his interactive discussion focused on addressing the climate crisis. The former vice president focused on the need to “punish climate-change deniers, saying politicians should pay a price for rejecting ‘accepted science,'” said the Chicago Tribune.

Gore said forward-thinking investors are moving away from companies that invest in fossil fuels and towards companies investing in renewable energy. “We need to put a price on carbon to accelerate these market trends,” Gore told the Chicago Tribune, referring to a proposed federal cap-and-trade system that would penalize companies that exceeded their carbon-emission limits. “And in order to do that, we need to put a price on denial in politics.”

He called on the tech-minded SXSW crowd, which is dominated by Millenials, to harness technology to launch a grassroots movement to tackle climate change and call out climate deniers. “We have this denial industry cranked up constantly,” Gore said. “In addition to 99 percent of the scientists and all the professional scientific organizations, now Mother Nature is weighing in.”

Years from now, Gore said the next generation will look back at us and ask: “How did you change?,” according to Macworld. “Part of the answer may well be that a group of people came to South by Southwest in Austin, Texas in 2015 and helped to make a revolution,” Gore said.

Gore wanted these young, tech-savvy attendees to start a grassroots movement using social media like they did when “net neutrality was threatened or when the Stop Online Piracy Act threatened to blacklist websites that offered so-called illegal content,” said Macworld. That means signing petitions to fight climate change, utilizing social media to call out climate deniers in Congress and streaming the Live Earth Road to Paris concert on June 18, an event designed to draw attention to the climate talks in Paris this December.

The former Veep even gave a nod to Pope Francis during his talk, showing a slide of the pontiff and saying “How about this Pope?” Pope Francis celebrated his two-year anniversary as Pope on Friday, riding a wave of popularity “that has reinvigorated the Catholic Church in ways not seen since the days of St. John Paul II,” said the Chicago Tribune. Gore said he was looking forward to the Pope’s highly anticipated encyclical on the environment which is due to be released in June or July. “I’m not a Catholic,” Gore said, “but I could be persuaded to become one.”

A question (measure. ?) of "balance".

$ … And fairly obviously, this thread has been "hi-Jacked", inhabited, by this more "inductive" (political) type of "rhetoric". (Discovered. .. by someone, wholly willing and able [apparently] to employ it or point to it, toward what ever end that they might have in mind.) .... I would suggest that you take note of this idea where and when finding something "new" having been added to this thread.

If you've noted it previously, ignore this view of point and "by all means" ... Get back to the good stuff.

.. Along with anything else, posted here if perhaps, by anyone who might perhaps think this thread is still worth the idea of tacking anything into it more in line with a less purely rhetorical, and at least a bit more deliberative discussion. "Good luck", where considering all counts here above.  —>  $$

---
Why I am a Climate Change Skeptic
March 20, 2015
Patrick MooreDr. Patrick Moore is the co-founder, chair, and chief scientist of Greenspirit Strategies, a... (read full bio)

[Editor’s Note: Patrick Moore, Ph.D., has been a leader in international environmentalism for more than 40 years. He cofounded Greenpeace and currently serves as chair of Allow Golden Rice. Moore received the 2014 Speaks Truth to Power Award at the Ninth International Conference on Climate Change, July 8, in Las Vegas. Watch his presentation about this piece at the video player to the left.]

I am skeptical humans are the main cause of climate change and that it will be catastrophic in the near future. There is no scientific proof of this hypothesis, yet we are told “the debate is over” and “the science is settled.”

My skepticism begins with the believers’ certainty they can predict the global climate with a computer model. The entire basis for the doomsday climate change scenario is the hypothesis increased atmospheric carbon dioxide due to fossil fuel emissions will heat the Earth to unlivable temperatures.

In fact, the Earth has been warming very gradually for 300 years, since the Little Ice Age ended, long before heavy use of fossil fuels. Prior to the Little Ice Age, during the Medieval Warm Period, Vikings colonized Greenland and Newfoundland, when it was warmer there than today. And during Roman times, it was warmer, long before fossil fuels revolutionized civilization.

The idea it would be catastrophic if carbon dioxide were to increase and average global temperature were to rise a few degrees is preposterous.

Recently, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) announced for the umpteenth time we are doomed unless we reduce carbon-dioxide emissions to zero. Effectively this means either reducing the population to zero, or going back 10,000 years before humans began clearing forests for agriculture. This proposed cure is far worse than adapting to a warmer world, if it actually comes about.

IPCC Conflict of Interest

By its constitution, the IPCC has a hopeless conflict of interest. Its mandate is to consider only the human causes of global warming, not the many natural causes changing the climate for billions of years. We don’t understand the natural causes of climate change any more than we know if humans are part of the cause at present. If the IPCC did not find humans were the cause of warming, or if it found warming would be more positive than negative, there would be no need for the IPCC under its present mandate. To survive, it must find on the side of the apocalypse.

The IPCC should either have its mandate expanded to include all causes of climate change, or it should be dismantled.

Political Powerhouse

Climate change has become a powerful political force for many reasons. First, it is universal; we are told everything on Earth is threatened. Second, it invokes the two most powerful human motivators: fear and guilt. We fear driving our car will kill our grandchildren, and we feel guilty for doing it.

Third, there is a powerful convergence of interests among key elites that support the climate “narrative.” Environmentalists spread fear and raise donations; politicians appear to be saving the Earth from doom; the media has a field day with sensation and conflict; science institutions raise billions in grants, create whole new departments, and stoke a feeding frenzy of scary scenarios; business wants to look green, and get huge public subsidies for projects that would otherwise be economic losers, such as wind farms and solar arrays. Fourth, the Left sees climate change as a perfect means to redistribute wealth from industrial countries to the developing world and the UN bureaucracy.

So we are told carbon dioxide is a “toxic” “pollutant” that must be curtailed, when in fact it is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, gas and the most important food for life on earth. Without carbon dioxide above 150 parts per million, all plants would die.

Human Emissions Saved Planet

Over the past 150 million years, carbon dioxide had been drawn down steadily (by plants) from about 3,000 parts per million to about 280 parts per million before the Industrial Revolution. If this trend continued, the carbon dioxide level would have become too low to support life on Earth. Human fossil fuel use and clearing land for crops have boosted carbon dioxide from its lowest level in the history of the Earth back to 400 parts per million today.

At 400 parts per million, all our food crops, forests, and natural ecosystems are still on a starvation diet for carbon dioxide. The optimum level of carbon dioxide for plant growth, given enough water and nutrients, is about 1,500 parts per million, nearly four times higher than today. Greenhouse growers inject carbon-dioxide to increase yields. Farms and forests will produce more if carbon-dioxide keeps rising.

We have no proof increased carbon dioxide is responsible for the earth’s slight warming over the past 300 years. There has been no significant warming for 18 years while we have emitted 25 per cent of all the carbon dioxide ever emitted. Carbon dioxide is vital for life on Earth and plants would like more of it. Which should we emphasize to our children?

Celebrate Carbon Dioxide

The IPCC’s followers have given us a vision of a world dying because of carbon-dioxide emissions. I say the Earth would be a lot deader with no carbon dioxide, and more of it will be a very positive factor in feeding the world. Let’s celebrate carbon dioxide.

Patrick Moore (pmoore@allowgoldenricenow.org) was a cofounder and leader of Greenpeace for 15 years. He is now chair and spokesman for Allow Golden Rice.

2015 is off to a very warm start. Take a look at the global temperature anomaly this year compared to last year. It's still very early to say, but with an El Nino pattern beginning to show up we're definitely on pace to beat last year. March may end up being the warmest March on record or very close to it. You can see that it has started to "cool off" a bit recently though.

tempanomaly2014.png

tempanomaly2015.png

Marchtempanomaly.png

That 2°C Global Warming Target? Should be More Like 1.5°C Says Scientists
Alex ChaversMarch 29, 2015

Limiting global warming by 2°C compared to pre-industrial times is a goal heard around the world. From CNN to climate policy negotiations. It was even endorsed by the Copenhagen Report issued by the 15th Conference of the Parties of the United Nations Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in 2009.

But, several countries and scientists say this target just isn’t enough. Many countries are calling for the target to be revised during the ‘2013-2015 Review.’

Petra Tschakert of Penn State University in University Park writes in a recent article that the target should be at 1.5°C.

“Without a doubt, it is in the utmost interest of a large number of countries to pursue the 1.5°C target, as ambitious or idealistic it may appear to date, and to see it anchored as a binding goal in the next agreement, as a possible outcome of the 2013–2015 Review,” writes Tschakert.

Caribbean countries and other island states are especially critical of the 2°C target. They believe such a rise threatens the very existence of their countries. Even a 1.5°C target is seen as problematic. You can’t blame them. Any rise in oceans due to global warming will affect them first.

A 2°C target has been preached for years. Any change will be met with resistance from multiple areas. First, the economic toll. Any drastic changes to current environmental policy will cost. The wealthy countries don’t want to pay, and the poor countries can’t afford to.

Next, is the science behind it. Study after study has used the 2°C target. New studies will need to be commissioned to look at the 1.5°C target. Obviously, lower temperature rises is better – but politicians will want to see the science back it.

Is a 1.5°C target even realistic? I doubt it. It’s like pulling teeth to get countries to agree on steps towards a 2°C. A 1.5°C target in today’s world of geopolitical flashpoints popping up everywhere? Yeah, not going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been discussed at length in the Pacific NW threads for the last 10 months.  These types of patterns have happened in the past and will happen again, so I agree with the author that it has little to do with AGW.  My personal opinion is that the warm water is caused by atmospheric conditions, as opposed to the other way around.  I have a hard time seeing how SSTs that are 5 degrees warmer than normal can influence the 500 mb patterns.  Sure there could be positive feedback, but nothing major. 

• Like 1
This should be a nail in the coffin to prove global alarmist nonsense...
SCIENCE: Save The Earth By Peeing In The Shower

SCIENCE: Save The Earth By Peeing In The Shower

You want to save the environment, right? Prevent global warming, save the world’s 13 Icelandic snow owls, that kind of thing.

Then you must pee in the shower. That’s the earnest message from a couple of students at England’s University of East Anglia, reports BBC News.

The two students, Debs Torr and Chris Dobson, theorize that their idea could “save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 26 times.”

It’s also a pragmatic timesaver, The Daily Caller notes.

“We’ve done the maths, and this project stands to have a phenomenal impact,” Dobson told the BBC.

“Imagine how big an impact it could have if we could get everyone in East Anglia, or even the UK, to change their morning habits.”

Dobson, 20, also noted that, strangely enough, not everyone has loved the big, brilliant idea.

“The campaign has been really divisive. People either seem to love it or hate it,” he explained.

But he’s undaunted.

“We’re trying to challenge conventional behavior — to start a debate on a resource that we largely take for granted,” the student said.

Dobson added that he and Torr have undertaken ample research to ensure that it’s not some disgusting health risk to pee in the communal showers that are often found on college campuses.

“As long as the water is flowing there is no hygiene risk as urine is sterile but we would encourage that every person using the same shower consents to the challenge and if not that they don’t take part,” he assured the BBC.

Dobson and Torr are the University of East Anglia’s representatives in an environmental initiative called the Npower Future Leaders Challenge.

A school spokeswoman said the administration fully supports the students.

The University of East Anglia in Norwich, England is, of course, most famous because it was the epicenter for the 2009 Climategate scandal. “Climategate” is a journalistic shorthand for the massive leak of emails from the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. The emails revealed discrepancies in the recording of climate change data, as well as contained poorly maintained computer code, and even allusions to the deletion of any information that could be acquired through Freedom of Information Act requests. (RELATED: Inhofe Calls For Investigation Of Researcher Michael Mann)

Follow Eric on Twitter and on Facebook, and send education-related story tips to erico@dailycaller.com.