10/20 Clipper

Minny_Weather

24 minutes ago, St Paul Storm said:

Here we go. Gonna get real pretty quick it appears. Decent flake size at the onset. 

EDIT:  Upgraded to a Winter Storm Warning.  Now up to 2"/hr. Mercy.  

4-6" wow. My gf might not be able to make the drive down here later.

37 minutes ago, james1976 said:

4-6" wow. My gf might not be able to make the drive down here later.

Just took a quick drive on my lunchbreak.  Roads are mainly wet, but they are starting to become covered in spots.  Bridges and overpasses are slick. Temp now below freezing, so it might not improve much. I would hope the interstate would be ok though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, St Paul Storm said:

Just took a quick drive on my lunchbreak.  Roads are mainly wet, but they are starting to become covered in spots.  Bridges and overpasses are slick. Temp now below freezing, so it might not improve much. I would hope the interstate would be ok though. 

I'm about to drive to my doctor across town. NDDOT indicates that interstates here are just wet which is good.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Nice...

Current conditions at

Minneapolis, Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (KMSP)

Lat: 44.88°NLon: 93.23°WElev: 840ft.
sn.png

Heavy Snow

30°F

-1°C

Humidity 96%
Wind Speed SE 10 mph
Barometer 30.20 in (1023.7 mb)
Dewpoint 29°F (-2°C)
Visibility 0.25 mi
Wind Chill 21°F (-6°C)
Last update 20 Oct 12:53 pm CDT

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

Pure rip city. Just eyeballing it from the office window, but I'd say 2-3" down already. We're gonna blow past the record for this date for sure.....probably going to double the record.  Record snowfall for any date in October is just over 8" during the 1991 Halloween Blizzard.  That one is probably safe. 

• Like 5
  • Snow 2

Nice pic, James! I'm about 5 miles from there.  

It's still pounding. If you woke up and didn't know what day it was, you'd never believe it was Oct 20. My wife just texted that our entire neighborhood is without power. Power lines and broken tree limbs all over the place. Gonna be an interesting evening. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, St Paul Storm said:

Nice pic, James! I'm about 5 miles from there.  

It's still pounding. If you woke up and didn't know what day it was, you'd never believe it was Oct 20. My wife just texted that our entire neighborhood is without power. Power lines and broken tree limbs all over the place. Gonna be an interesting evening. 

Wow! Must be a heavy wet snow

Just drove to my doctor across town. Interstates are fine, all other roads are slushy. My parking lot is a mess. Radar looks to be filling in to the West. This is a very wet, low-ratio snow which explains the relatively low accumulation. 32.4°F.

1020201544.jpg

• Like 5

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

The radar for MSP is an absolute bullseye...the airport is still reporting +SN with viz less than 1/2 mile...what a storm to kick off the winter season!

Current conditions at

sn.png

Heavy Snow Freezing Fog

31°F

-1°C

image.png

• Like 4
  • Snow 2

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

The radar for MSP is an absolute bullseye...the airport is still reporting +SN with viz less than 1/2 mile...what a storm to kick off the winter season!

Current conditions at

sn.png

Heavy Snow Freezing Fog

31°F

-1°C

image.png

It’s an utter disaster out there. Absolutely awesome! 

• Like 4
  • Snow 1

Finished with 3.4" on the balcony, which lines up pretty decently with what looks like will be the airport's final tally at 3.5".

The plus side to this being low ratio goop is the fact that slightly above freezing temps won't do much to this snowpack tomorrow. 

• Like 5

Flash freezing is going to be a major issue tonight. There has to be 2" of slush on my parking lot, if not more, as well as a lot of ponding of water. Side streets are not much better. Forecasted lows are in the low 20s. 

• Like 2
  • Snow 1

6 hours ago, St Paul Storm said:

6” here as well and still snowing. 

9637287E-625D-4F2F-B990-BED848E9D670.jpeg

Congrats SPS! Impeccable timing on your return to the forum. Was that planned??

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

MSP with a record setting 7.9"!!!  Congrats on everyone who scored Bigly with this storm system.  I guess those juiced up totals ended up coming into fruition and the Kuchera snow maps did well with the snow ratios.  BTW, what were the snow ratios like???  Take some pics today with the sun shining down on a fresh snow pack and leaves on the trees.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, jaster220 said:

Congrats SPS! Impeccable timing on your return to the forum. Was that planned??

Thanks Jaster! Not planned at all. Life is full of coincidences. 

Ended with 6.75” here. I’m hoping a bit of the snow melts today if we’re going to get a bunch of rain tomorrow. The snow is like cement and will likely block the drains and sewers. Don’t need hydro issues in October. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, FAR_Weather said:

Flash freezing is going to be a major issue tonight. There has to be 2" of slush on my parking lot, if not more, as well as a lot of ponding of water. Side streets are not much better. Forecasted lows are in the low 20s. 

I was correct.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

MSP with a record setting 7.9"!!!  Congrats on everyone who scored Bigly with this storm system.  I guess those juiced up totals ended up coming into fruition and the Kuchera snow maps did well with the snow ratios.  BTW, what were the snow ratios like???  Take some pics today with the sun shining down on a fresh snow pack and leaves on the trees.

The models overall did a pretty amazing job with this storm. We can only hope this starts a trend of good modeling for the rest of the season. The only ones that didn't do well were the rapid refresh models up until the storm was underway. The RAP and HRRR were showing 2-4" totals here even as the snow starting falling. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, St Paul Storm said:

The models overall did a pretty amazing job with this storm. We can only hope this starts a trend of good modeling for the rest of the season. The only ones that didn't do well were the rapid refresh models up until the storm was underway. The RAP and HRRR were showing 2-4" totals here even as the snow starting falling. 

Yeah, they nailed amounts up here as well.

• Thanks 1

Congrats to all of the peeps who scored w this one. Enjoy!

"Tis the Season."

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"