November 2020 Observations and Discussion

Tom

^ From the comment section on the youtube video - something that many on this board would appreciate and understand -.

In the book "All Hell Broke Loose" by William Hull, my favorite story is about a man who was an amateur meteorologist and DID "see it coming". He owned a recording barometer (barograph) and saw the needle drop off the drum because of the low pressure of the approaching storm. He then had his local service station fill his gas tank, put antifreeze in his radiator, and put chains on his tires. The service station attendant was in his shirt sleeves and thought the man had totally lost his mind! But in hours the flakes began to fall and we can only wonder what the service station attendant thought then!

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

9 hours ago, jaster220 said:

@Tom

Any severe over your place (back home)? 

This is one of those "sneak attack" systems that seem to be a Nina thang. 07-08 had these too. Overnight AFD was "rain..then colder" but since then I've gotten multiple headlines in effect. I was in Holland and ran into heavy rain bands both going and coming back. Still dry and a very mild 71F having hit 74F for the high. Meanwhile, tomorrow's high keeps getting lowered. Now a full 30F colder than today with 44F in the grid (tho not sure if they mean at midnight and falling, or afternoon?). These extreme temp gradients are going to make for some doozy systems as we get into winter. Don't want to be on the wrong side ofc!

I heard from family and friends back home that the line of storms ripped through my neighborhood with very strong winds but no hail.  Looks like a lot of wind reports all over IL and around the Chicago area.  ORD topped out with a 68mph gust.  No doubt this was a sneaky system that crept up on many forecasters.

1.jpg

2.gif

• Like 2

This has been a very remarkable first 10 days of November 2020. Here at Grand Rapids the mean for the first 10 days was 55.7°  There were a total of 6 days with highs in the 70's with 5 days in a row. Both are new records for the month of November. The high for the month will be a reading of 77 and that ties for the 2nd warmest reading ever in the month. The low so far has been 27 and there was 0.2" of snow fall on the 1st that fell during the day after a cold front came thru. Here at my house I recorded 0.92" of rain fall with some lightning but not really much wind yesterday evening. At this time it is cloudy and 40 both here at my house and at the airport.

• Like 2

Happy Veteran's Day to all who have served this great nation....God Bless all those who are currently serving and protecting the U.S.A 

The Best & Most Touching Veteran's Day Memes

Sending a warm B-Day shout out to our member @james1976!!!!  Make it a great day buddy.

In other news, it looks like there will be a rather fast flow aloft as systems zip on by with no high lat blocking to make things interesting.  A couple cold fronts will sweep across the northern and eastern part of the Sub over the next week but nothing to interesting until we get towards Thanksgiving week.  I'm starting to see a potential winter storm system to come out of the central Rockies around the 24th/25th.  Using the EAR, this has an interesting west/east track with blocking over the top.  It doesn't appear to be a cutter but a more or less CO Low??  Could it be??

gfs-ens_mslpaNorm_npac_fh186-240.gif

As more data comes in, I'm seeing more evidence that the pattern in the NE PAC/Western NAMER may begin to flip towards the end of November.  The pressure pattern across eastern Eurasia is poised to reflect more High Pressure which correlates to higher heights into western Canada post system on the 19th in East Asia.  This is a big deal bc all we have been seeing in this part of the world were strong systems and that has been causing storms to slam into the PAC NW/W NAMER region not allowing any cold air into the lower 48.  I think this will change and the LR models will soon begin to show this....I'm hopeful at least based on what has worked for me this season.

Another clue, and this is a big one, is the big warm pool growing in the NE PAC that started around the 4th at 10mb.  This has been my go-to LR clue where to look for rising heights in the 2-3 week period going forward.  All of this info correlates towards higher pressure patterns in W NAMER by Thanksgiving week.  Interestingly, at this time there may also be growing HP around NE Canada/Greenland.  While all of this is being analyzed, I'm trying to dial in on the LRC cycle length and this is one of the hardest seasons yet.  Need more time to figure this one out.

Northern Hemisphere 10 hecto Pascals Temperature Anomalies Animation

• Like 5
  • Popcorn 1

8 hours ago, jaster220 said:

Will be nice when It's more like this..

20201110 NWS Duluth Obs.PNG

It will be most definitely, but not just yet. Snows this early in the season (early to mid Nov) are useless (especially in  mby) because they tend to melt the next day. Keep in mind, average highs are still in the low 50s for my locale. I'd say, starting late Nov could be a possible time for any wanted snow here, especially headed into December. Hang in there buddy.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Current conditions are sunny and crisp w temps in the 40s.

April 2024:

54 minutes ago, GDR said:

Just curious when was the last CO low storm?

Good question....prob back during ‘10-‘11 when there was good blocking. Actually, come to think of it, the GHD-2 Super Bowl storm sorta had characteristics of a CO Low.

• Like 3

Not a daily model watcher but my office seems excited about the weekend here.

- Stronger system expected over the weekend --

A much stronger system is expected over the weekend as a plains
trough drives our direction. The trough will move in Saturday
night and plow through the area on Sunday. High chances for
precipitation exists from Saturday night through Sunday night. As
we head into Sunday night the precipitation will become lake
generated. Rainfall totals will likely be around a half inch in
most locations. PWAT values will increase to 0.75 to around 1.00
inches during this event. It will become windy into the weekend
behind the cold frontal passage. Gales are likely on the Big Lake
with rain changing to some lake effect snow showers late into
Sunday and possibly Monday.
  • Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

28 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

Not a daily model watcher but my office seems excited about the weekend here.

- Stronger system expected over the weekend --

A much stronger system is expected over the weekend as a plains
trough drives our direction. The trough will move in Saturday
night and plow through the area on Sunday. High chances for
precipitation exists from Saturday night through Sunday night. As
we head into Sunday night the precipitation will become lake
generated. Rainfall totals will likely be around a half inch in
most locations. PWAT values will increase to 0.75 to around 1.00
inches during this event. It will become windy into the weekend
behind the cold frontal passage. Gales are likely on the Big Lake
with rain changing to some lake effect snow showers late into
Sunday and possibly Monday.

Looking forward to a stormy, wet, cold weekend.

Btw: I think we are done w breaking record high temps...🤫

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

April 2024:

In one of my favorite winters, there was an amazing calm in autumn and return to very tranquil and warm weather before the onslaught began. Same in 1888(i think) and same in 2010, if I am not mistaken.

I acknowledged in one of my posts after October's cold outbreak how rare it is that we make it a consecutive cold stretch but it was possible. (Obviously we didn't from the 2nd to yesterday) Same for the annoying ridges we keep seeing.

The pattern will be back. I know it will. Warm weather today and a bad euro monthly aren't influencing my mind much on this. Thats the most aggressively I have experienced and autumn show up probably since I was a kid or before.

The cold will be back. I've studied this and I don't think I have lived through anything like what is coming yet.

The GFS will change drastically over the next few days. Its just the pattern.

Yesterday was a monumental day in great lakes transport history. I call it "Big Fitz" day. The men that captained such a hard steaming, multiple record-breaker had to have had pure iron in them at some times if you have ever studied the history of that area. Many years ago now. Was a horrible tragedy but also kind of represented the beginning to an end to an Era, a generation, and massive swing in US music and even industrial history. Probably the last massive peak of the steel industry, by large. It was stunning enough that it made Gordon Lightfoot stop in his tracks and write an incredible expression of music that you cannot mistake overhearing to this day. The significance of a moment in time. The day the mighty Fitzgerald went down.

Today, of course is veteran's day. If you haven't already, take one moment for them. One moment. They are real heroes. I can't even do words enough to give proper justice to what they mean to me. We don't have an America without the fighting men who have laid down all to save it and not only it, but to help and support many other nations out of 3rd world status over the years. Our veterans did that and made it possible. Never forget the good for the bad. Never forget them. My generation has sacrificed massively in military service for 19 years until this year. Most of those were influenced, taught and raised by the desert storm guys and so on...fathers and sons. 2 generations.

I will never be able to give back what they have lost for me. What I couldn't give. What I couldn't sacrifice. I love and truly honor our military. Hero is too small of a word to describe what they are to me. No opinion of man, nor jaded history will ever change that. I love our military.

• Like 2

This is going to be a lengthy post once I decided to dive deep into the overnight data....Suddenly, since my post yesterday morning, the EPS has trended colder and more wintry towards Thanksgiving week.  Is this a "head fake" or does this have merit???  Some mets out there are gluing their eyes towards the LR models and how warm they are in the extended, but I'm seeing something different and I pointed it out yesterday.  The models are beginning to illustrate a flip in the pressure pattern across western NAMER around the 20th/21st.  I'm not sure right now if this will hold into early December but I am confident that it will transpire around the beginning of Thanksgiving week.  

All the models are seeing the flip towards a -EPO next week, but the question remains does it continue...???

8.png

00z EPS turned a bit wintry for a lot of peeps along the I-80 corridor on north...

7.png

What happens after Thanksgiving week is still up in the air and if the second cycle of the LRC is to be cycling through, then there are some big busts in the models up coming.  I'll be the first to admit that this year's pattern has been one of the more interesting ones to follow. Over the past few days I started to "see" the LRC cycle length but I'm not confident yet to put a finger on it.  Hopefully by early next week I'll be able to provide some more insight on this.

On another note, the JMA weeklies came in and they are advertising a full blown torch into December.

Week 2...

Y202011.D1112_gl2.png

Week 3-4...

Y202011.D1112_gl2.png

Here is what doesn't makes sense to me when the model is advertising a massive ridge across Siberia/Eurasia in Week 2 which would correlate into higher heights into western NAMER.  I could be very wrong about this but I just don't believe that there will be a PAC NW/W NAMER trough in the extended.  Not when I see the 10mb warm pool exploding. This LR tool has worked pretty well in the past so let's see if it does now.

2.png

Digging deeper into the JMA Week 3-4 forecast, it appears there is a continuation of rising motion across parts of the Indian Ocean and sinking air in the central PAC...

Y202011.D1112_gl0.png

If you compare the precip pattern above to the map below, Phase 8 and 2 are a close match in terms of convection...in a nutshell, there are some conflicting signals in this pattern going forward.  What will end up being the driving force??

Approximate locations of the MJO centre of convection RMM Index phases... |  Download Scientific Diagram

That NE PAC warm pool sure does look like it has some staying power...how will this influence our wx pattern is the million dollar question as we head deeper into winter.  As always, its a "wait and see" as nature will have the final say.

Y202011.D1112_gls.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As far as the PV goes, while it isn't playing ball right now....but...if the trends continue based off of the 00z GEFS forecast into the end of Nov, it appears the PV may be showing signs of an elongated pattern and making in roads towards North America, similar to how it behaved in '13-'14....this is always a big wild card.

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_fh252-384.gif

• Like 3

Shallow fog attm and temp is at 29F. Now, it feels like November!

Note: A lot of frost out there as well.

• Like 3

April 2024:

1 hour ago, Tom said:

This is going to be a lengthy post once I decided to dive deep into the overnight data....Suddenly, since my post yesterday morning, the EPS has trended colder and more wintry towards Thanksgiving week.  Is this a "head fake" or does this have merit???  Some mets out there are gluing their eyes towards the LR models and how warm they are in the extended, but I'm seeing something different and I pointed it out yesterday.  The models are beginning to illustrate a flip in the pressure pattern across western NAMER around the 20th/21st.  I'm not sure right now if this will hold into early December but I am confident that it will transpire around the beginning of Thanksgiving week.  

All the models are seeing the flip towards a -EPO next week, but the question remains does it continue...???

8.png

00z EPS turned a bit wintry for a lot of peeps along the I-80 corridor on north...

7.png

What happens after Thanksgiving week is still up in the air and if the second cycle of the LRC is to be cycling through, then there are some big busts in the models up coming.  I'll be the first to admit that this year's pattern has been one of the more interesting ones to follow. Over the past few days I started to "see" the LRC cycle length but I'm not confident yet to put a finger on it.  Hopefully by early next week I'll be able to provide some more insight on this.

On another note, the JMA weeklies came in and they are advertising a full blown torch into December.

Week 2...

Y202011.D1112_gl2.png

Week 3-4...

Y202011.D1112_gl2.png

Here is what doesn't makes sense to me when the model is advertising a massive ridge across Siberia/Eurasia in Week 2 which would correlate into higher heights into western NAMER.  I could be very wrong about this but I just don't believe that there will be a PAC NW/W NAMER trough in the extended.  Not when I see the 10mb warm pool exploding. This LR tool has worked pretty well in the past so let's see if it does now.

2.png

Digging deeper into the JMA Week 3-4 forecast, it appears there is a continuation of rising motion across parts of the Indian Ocean and sinking air in the central PAC...

Y202011.D1112_gl0.png

If you compare the precip pattern above to the map below, Phase 8 and 2 are a close match in terms of convection...in a nutshell, there are some conflicting signals in this pattern going forward.  What will end up being the driving force??

Approximate locations of the MJO centre of convection RMM Index phases... |  Download Scientific Diagram

That NE PAC warm pool sure does look like it has some staying power...how will this influence our wx pattern is the million dollar question as we head deeper into winter.  As always, its a "wait and see" as nature will have the final say.

Y202011.D1112_gls.png

Is your early thinking on the cycle length around 45 days or am I off?

6 minutes ago, St Paul Storm said:

Currently 28F and overcast. Another 1" of snow expected this afternoon. Some of the slush that melted yesterday refroze overnight. It's a skating rink out there this morning. 

How many snow events have you had already this season??  Has to be more than 5 or so...quite a wintry start for you guys up north...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

How many snow events have you had already this season??  Has to be more than 5 or so...quite a wintry start for you guys up north...

I believe this will be the 5th accumulating snow so far.  Officially 14.8" YTD at MSP, which is 12" above normal.  Fast start for sure! I'll take snow whenever I can get it. ❄️

• Like 1
  • Snow 4

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I was thinking around 46 days earlier this morning TBH...gotta see where we are by Thanksgiving week...

Last night Lezak made a prediction for accumulating snow around the 10th of Dec for KC.  If the cycle length is 45-46 days that would line up well with the system we had on Oct 24th-28th.

• Like 3

On 11/11/2020 at 9:09 AM, Niko said:

It will be most definitely, but not just yet. Snows this early in the season (early to mid Nov) are useless (especially in  mby) because they tend to melt the next day. Keep in mind, average highs are still in the low 50s for my locale. I'd say, starting late Nov could be a possible time for any wanted snow here, especially headed into December. Hang in there buddy.

What you want is Nov 30/Dec 1st 1974. The "Motown Crusher" that pummeled the far southern region of SEMI with about 20-21" of dense snowfall. One of the rare times when the city did better than the (now) far north suburbs. DTW only reported 19.7", which is officially number 2 all-time on the list. This brought the Motor City to a grinding halt as there was insufficient room to plow the heavy snow on many of the city's freeway on/off ramps. My relatives are all from Detroit and my cousins made tons of cash removing snow for days afterwards.

Snow depth map a couple days later..

1974-12-03 Snow Depth zoom.png

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Tuesday night's storm and winds shredded the last of the hardy tree leafs out back here in town while the countryside has looked ready for snow almost a week now. Came out of work last night to a very frosty car for the first time and see that here in Marshall we were below freezing a solid 8 hrs. Just a matter of time now before something measurable happens around these parts be it LES or whatever.

20201112 KRMY Obs 12-8 am.PNG

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

19 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

What you want is Nov 30/Dec 1st 1974. The "Motown Crusher" that pummeled the far southern region of SEMI with about 20-21" of dense snowfall. One of the rare times when the city did better than the (now) far north suburbs. DTW only reported 19.7", which is officially number 2 all-time on the list. This brought the Motor City to a grinding halt as there was insufficient room to plow the heavy snow on many of the city's freeway on/off ramps. My relatives are all from Detroit and my cousins made tons of cash removing snow for days afterwards.

Snow depth map a couple days later..

1974-12-03 Snow Depth zoom.png

Exactly! Now, that is perfect timing to start Winter and wow on that storm. Thanks for sharing that amigo. Man, Detroit got clobbered w that one.

• Like 1

April 2024:

1 hour ago, Niko said:

Exactly! Now, that is perfect timing to start Winter and wow on that storm. Thanks for sharing that amigo. Man, Detroit got clobbered w that one.

They sure did! The 21" report was from Sterling Hghts. That's not too far south of Macomb is it?

Meanwhile, back to the future, as in d3 surface map per the GFS and whoa! at Sunday morning here in the Mitt. Gonna be a wet, wild, and perhaps white?? opening morning of deer season (firearms) by the looks of things. Should be some whiteness across the UP and/or NMI. Nothing too ominous this far south but staying tuned regardless. I'm a yuge fan of strong autumn storms in the Lakes as a harbinger of good winter ahead.  7 am map is more wet than white but she drops to 980 mb or so and ushers in colder 850's to flip in the traditional LES belts of the Northlands.

20201112 12z GFS h72 Surf.png

20201112 12z GFS h78 Surf.png

• Like 3

And geez, tomorrow's going to certainly feel like winter after last week's heat.

20201113 Gridast ICONs.PNG

• Like 2

Simply perfect calm day under sunshine to move leafs, so I took advantage and did just that before heading off to work. One more clean-up in the front garden sometime later this month and it'll be time to put out the holiday lights!! 😉

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

LOL @ GRR's forecaster "04"

Sunday`s highs will likely be in the morning. Temps will fall during
the afternoon behind the cold front. It`ll be breezy Sunday. ECMWF
ensembles show winds approaching 50 mph again behind the front, but
that`s pretty typical for a November cold front.

🤔

• Windy 1