NCDC Finally Has Seattle Weather Data Back To 1894 and 1895 For Bellingham!

snow_wizard

It took some digging, but the NCDC has continuous weather records for the same weather station in Seattle from 1894 through 1998.  Their record archives are getting better all the time.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USW00024281/detail

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Is this the raw data or adjusted data?

Everything I looked at is the same as the official records I copied from books at the Seattle Public Library many years ago.  They obviously entered the raw data into a modern format.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

How do you search for other locations in the area such as Bellingham as all I get are order forms.

You have to go back to previous pages on that site.  It's not a terribly user friendly site.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I look forward to your research Jim! It would be nice to see a post or two on some of the winter storms of the late 1800's.

I already had a lot of the paper records.  I was missing the daily snowfall data for some of the lesser winters though.  I have done posts in the past about winters such as 1892-93, 1898-99, and 1915-16.  The Seattle records for 1890 through 1893 have some amazing events, but they are not recognized as official records.  I was able to get those from other places.

Late Dec / early Jan in the winter of 1898-99 is probably the most overlooked amazing run of winter weather on record for Seattle.  That's a fun one to look at in the link I provided.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Here's a link I found for Bellingham records back to July 1893.  Those might be fun to look at!  Too bad they don't include Jan / Feb 1893.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/locations/CITY:US530004/detail

EDIT:  Actually that link was for a list of station in the Bellingham area.  This one is for Bellingham and has records back to 1895.  The first data I've ever seen that far back for them!

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USC00450569/detail

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Here's a link I found for Bellingham records back to July 1893.  Those might be fun to look at!  Too bad they don't include Jan / Feb 1893.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/locations/CITY:US530004/detail

EDIT:  Actually that link was for a list of station in the Bellingham area.  This one is for Bellingham and has records back to 1895.  The first data I've ever seen that far back for them!

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:USC00450569/detail

That information has been available on the Utah site for a number of years, actually.

That information has been available on the Utah site for a number of years, actually.

I didn't realize that.  I know Utah never had the old Seattle data which has been very puzzling.  I noticed the old Bellingham data is wrong for January 1907.  That was actually a very cold month.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I didn't realize that.  I know Utah never had the old Seattle data which has been very puzzling.  I noticed the old Bellingham data is wrong for January 1907.  That was actually a very cold month.

That's frustrating when the numbers are wrong. I took a look at January 1907 for Clearbrook - 23.2 avg. and Olga - 31.4 avg. Both stations did have some missing data, more so for Olga. It was definitely chilly though.

Is Bellingham WA more prepared for snow or do things still close down there like Seattle at the slightest coating?   Is it kind of like Baltimore vs Washington DC in preparedness?

It's no different up here than most of the other places in the PNW. If it snows 2 inches, schools are shut down.