NE Twin Tornadoes

NEJeremy

I wanted to make a post about the twin tornadoes that I am sure many of you have heard about out here in Nebraska. I was out chasing that day and witnessed it all! It was the best day of chasing of my life, but unfortunately 2 people were killed in the town of Pilger.

As of this post, there have been 3 EF-4 tornadoes confirmed and another EF-3.

I actually saw 3 tornadoes on the ground at once. 2 other times I saw 2 tornadoes on the ground at once. I saw a total of 10 tornadoes One as the Stanton tornado started to weaken, and then the twin tornadoes on the ground near Pilger!

I witnessed the Stanton wedge tornado from birth to it's final rope out stage. I could hear the roar from it even though I was several miles away. Thereafter I chased the twin tornadoes and the supercell all the way to Sioux City. I saw the damage thereafter and found maybe 1/3 of a car left in a ditch where the Stanton wedge crossed the road. There was only the 2 front wheels and part of the bottom of the frame of the car left. Not sure of course what the car looked like beforehand.

Last night there was another monster supercell in northeast Nebraska, that also had 2 tornadoes on the ground at once, although further apart than the day before near Pilger, and also had a wedge that was nearly stationary for over an hour! No injuries were reported from that storm.

I will post pics when I get done editing, etc. I kept a safer distance than some of the other chasers that got the extreme close up video and pics. There was just too much going on in the sky above me that I didn't want to be trapped in a bad spot

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have finally been able to transfer and edit my video from this day showing my experience with the tornadic supercell that produced 4 EF-4 tornadoes including the twin Pilger tornadoes. I watch other peoples videos and get a little jealous and disappointed I didn't get closer shots, but I still wouldn't trade this day for anything! Make sure to change the video settings to 1080p for HD video! Also, I apologize for the shakiness at the beginning of the video. I think I was trying to do too many things and the camera was kind of all over the place for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2585tPH-o

• Like 1

Just watched your video Jeremy! Incredible footage. The 13 minute and 20 minute marks approximately are just...WOW! 

Quite the unique storm dynamics that came together that day.

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Just watched your video Jeremy! Incredible footage. The 13 minute and 20 minute marks approximately are just...WOW! 

Quite the unique storm dynamics that came together that day.

Yeah I still find myself going back and watching video from this day. There are a ton of them on Youtube. Probably a day I will never experience again, and I chase about 10-12x a year.

I have finally been able to transfer and edit my video from this day showing my experience with the tornadic supercell that produced 4 EF-4 tornadoes including the twin Pilger tornadoes. I watch other peoples videos and get a little jealous and disappointed I didn't get closer shots, but I still wouldn't trade this day for anything! Make sure to change the video settings to 1080p for HD video! Also, I apologize for the shakiness at the beginning of the video. I think I was trying to do too many things and the camera was kind of all over the place for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR2585tPH-o

incredible video nejeremy the pilger tornadoes did a number on the town damaging or destoryed70 to 80% of the town and never seen twin tornadoes like this one did.