July 2014 Observations and Discussion

East Dubzz

I am prob speaking for a lot of the members on this board, IMO thus far this summer it has been very nice, not hot, very active and cooler.  Last summer was pretty similar except it warmed up a lot in August.  I don't see that happening this August. 

Definitiely agree with this as far as this summer. Has been a very pleasant one for me, I can't complain. And I hope it doesn't get hot this time around, that's the worst for football practices.

• Like 1

was looking at the weather blogs and the what they are saying is a bunch of crap they are saying that thy still saying that we will have a moderate to a strong el nino that the winter will be mild with a few spring like days in january of 2015 that snowfall will be below normal for chicago and other areas as well and with the latest on the el nino so that means that the el nino is a no show this year that means that we will have a repeat from last winter with this up coming winter being twice severe than last winter with a number of things with the northren pacific and with the northren atlantic being above normal water temps so that means with a -epo/wpo -ao -nao with a la nada to a la nina and with a jet stream screaming over california.

Below normal keeps increasing

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/610temp.new.gif

if this keeps up that you can expect for fall and upcoming winter that this is not from an el nino that this is caused by the la nada and i expect this trend to continue through fall to this up coming winterbut with this winter being brutally cold with back to back snowstorms.

Cedar Rapids still couldn't make it to 90 even on the hottest day of the year.  It topped out at 89 with a dewpoint in the upper 70s.  Our next shot at 90 should hold off until August.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Cedar Rapids still couldn't make it to 90 even on the hottest day of the year. It topped out at 89 with a dewpoint in the upper 70s. Our next shot at 90 should hold off until August.

But man that it was hot enough for me. In Platteville, Wisconsin, where I was working today the heat index topped out at 104. That's plenty warm, I'm glad we haven't had many days like that this year because I just hate them.

Wow, wasn't expecting a 69F temp this morning with a gusty NNE wind off the lake.  These are conditions expected in September.  I can't imagine what kind of chill we will be experiencing this Fall when we have such strong shots of cold in mid/late July.

• Like 1

Wow, wasn't expecting a 69F temp this morning with a gusty NNE wind off the lake.  These are conditions expected in September.  I can't imagine what kind of chill we will be experiencing this Fall when we have such strong shots of cold in mid/late July.

i agree that this fall will be on a cold one and by octoberit will chill down.

My lows next week are projected to be near 50F. Ouch!!! I will not be surprised to even see upper 40s in spots. This has been a very comfortable summer. I'll take it anytime. My ideal summer weather is from highs ranging in the mid to upper 70's and lows in the 50's. Now, that is perfecto!!!

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Today will be the 3rd day of July that we have failed to hit 70F. Certainly not unusual to see multiple highs in the 60s in July, but if we can squeak out another one or two days like this at the end of the month, four or more of those below 70 highs are a bit more rare.

I think next week Monday looks in the bag for you to squeeze another sub 70F day, especially with winds off the lake.

I can't believe how much of the nation will be below normal in prime summer time.  This would be about 75% of the nation.

I'm sure the southern folks are not minding this cool summer and saving quite a bit of money on AC this year.

• Like 1