Pacific NW August 2014 Discussion

stuffradio

There were 3 hurricanes in the Central Pacific. On your chart, the purple blob is Genevieve crossing the dateline. Do you think the hurricanes brought the zonal winds north or vice versa? By what mechanism does this translate into a September PNW trough?

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-147.10,-13.06,380

The upper level winds are what allowed the cyclones to move west w/o being sheared apart, and may have inadvertently enhanced them.

I'm examining the axis of -AAM between 10-20N, spanning the globe and moving poleward. It is a product of the maturing -QBO.

The coming trough in the west would be a result of MJO/QBO forcing trumping the antecedent ENSO circulation..

Big change in the ensemble mean from the 06z to the 12z in the mid-long range. From up around +20c to down around +10c.

Get ready for #westerntroughing from late-month into September!

• Like 1

It would be nice but I will believe it when I see it. :)

I've been there. The 2011-2012 super-torch still haunts me. Even now my subconscious fears its return..

• Like 1

What does a delayed fall even mean? Does that mean delayed rain?

Means a delayed transition to Autumn wx...? In my area that usually entails a lack of morning frosts, weak steering flow, and fog/low clouds every morning..hideous

I knew the bold part, the text after the text I bold is what I wanted to know for you.

Ah, I see. I might flip my lid if I have to wait until October (again) for Canadian air

Sorry, we're keeping it locked up north of the border. It's too risky letting it cross the border. It might buy all your milk!

Fine, be that way :(

Ah, I see. I might flip my lid if I have to wait until October (again) for Canadian air

Right.

From the guy saying he could see his breath with highs in the 50s just 10 days ago. Where the hell do you think that air came from???

Stop the martyr drama. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Stop the martyr drama. :)

Look who's talking here :lol:

July doesn't count..those temps would be considered warm here by late September. Plus, that was a disgusting, smoke-filled airmass

hey if this pattern were in winter would this mean snow? And i feel like taking a vacation this week. Perfect as in last week of hot weather?

Yeah, that would actually be an crazy snow pattern for the PNW lowlands in winter w/ that offshore ridge and poleward amplification/Rossby wave over NE Canada preventing the offshore ridge from pinching off...that's actually as good as it gets

I'm really not seeing a long lasting troughy pattern setting in. 12z ensembles give us another heat wave week two.

As it stands currently this is running as the warmest August in history at PDX. That is before the heat wave the next couple days.

I'm really not seeing a long lasting troughy pattern setting in. 12z ensembles give us another heat wave week two.

As it stands currently this is running as the warmest August in history at PDX. That is before the heat wave the next couple days.

We'll give something back during the second half of the month. It may not be a dream-trough scenario, but it'll do.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

But will it hot and muggy this late August/early September again? I certainly hope not!! :(

Can't decide if the pattern next week will be muggy or not in the wake of the midweek trough.

If you want snow, buy an air conditioner and man up.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.