December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

3 minutes ago, wxmet said:

The ECMWF doesn't have a clue. 12z the low was in central Washington and now it's near the Canadian border.

I think there will be multiple low pressure centers... tiny differences will determine which will be more dominant.  

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, DJ Droppin said:

Any rug pulling would be my fault for the earlier Snowman Building Contest/Event Extravaganza. The weather gods did not appreciate that.

12z ECMWF in 11 hours 34 minutes

It's really insensitive of you to assume people would build a snowMan.

It's 2020.  I build snow monsters as to not offend.

• lol 1
  • scream 1

Just now, DJ Droppin said:

Day 4

500h_anom.na.png

Seems like it's wash rinse repeat with this pattern.  Someone, for the LOVE OF GOD, shut down the Pacific.  We need to get rid of that massive Low that keeps diving down out of Alaska.  Over and over and over so the blocks can't get established and retrograde.  Maybe this SSW thingy will help.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Good thing I didn’t tell my wife and kids yet...Looks like a model pullback has started. 

I have been announcing it all day... and got the snowblower up from the shed and filled it with gas and oil and let it run for awhile in the driveway making that distinct sound of winter!

I would normally say that is a jinx... but I remember doing the exact same thing right before the Super Bowl in 2019 and that snowblower was put to many hours of use in the month that followed.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 minutes ago, wxmet said:

The ECMWF doesn't have a clue. 12z the low was in central Washington and now it's near the Canadian border.

In other words, precisely where it belongs. 😀

18z_euro.thumb.png.77b35674f05dca52d71d00cbd1fe9bc5.png

(Until the next model run taketh away.)

(Or perhaps not. We shall see.)

• Like 1
  • scream 1
  • Downvote 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Check this out. I don't know if you're a believer in the Canadian ensembles....

Day 7-11 features a dramatic shift. Gulf of Alaska ridge develops further west with good amplification. It tried to get there, but the flow is still just too progressive. Interesting developments nonetheless.

floop-cmce-2020122000.500h_anom_na.gif

• Like 1
  • scream 1

The EURO shows about 1-2" here Monday night. Track of the low at this point won't make much difference here, any snow we get will be just behind the cold front with any moisture leftover. 

• Snow 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

The EURO shows about 1-2" here Monday night. Track of the low at this point won't make much difference here, any snow we get will be just behind the cold front with any moisture leftover. 

Places near the western Cascades have a much larger margin for error than places on the west side of the Sound with this sort of event. Totals will vary but most places should see some snow through upslope or cz action. The models have been showing decent amounts up here but I still feel there's a higher bust potential here than Seattle - Everett.

• Like 1

Just now, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Places near the western Cascades have a much larger margin for error than places on the west side of the Sound with this sort of event. Totals will vary but most places should see some snow through upslope or cz action. The models have been showing decent amounts up here but I still feel there's a higher bust potential here than Seattle - Everett.

Yeah that 00Z euro tonight was too close for comfort. Would appreciate about 20 miles south lol

One of these years we're going to have a snowstorm in December... Like, Arctic blast and snowstorm on December 19th, with a reinforcing blast and more snow on Christmas eve. High 24, low 17 with snow on Christmas day with 18" on the ground... 2021 is the YEAR BABY! LETS GO!. . .  lol

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, Brennan said:

One of these years we're going to have a snowstorm in December... Like, Arctic blast and snowstorm on December 19th, with a reinforcing blast and more snow on Christmas eve. High 24, low 17 with snow on Christmas day with 18" on the ground... 2021 is the YEAR BABY! LETS GO!. . .  lol

Growing up in the 1990s I thought it was amazing that we could ever get snow in a month outside of December. How times have changed.