December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

42 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

Radar has a sword penetrating Forks currently!

Screenshot_20201220-192735_Chrome.jpg

RIP vampires 

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

31 minutes ago, wxmet said:

GFS is warmer at KSEA which is probably why it’s showing heavy rain instead of snow with a temps in the upper 30s. Brutal. I definitely need to move.

Same. I want to live somewhere that I get enough snow that it’s not an event to celebrate, but not so much that I get sick of it. 30-40” a year maybe?

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

25 minutes ago, seattleweatherguy said:

I have to say Whatcom country/Victoria/Vancouver is long over due to be nailed. 

Yea..they definitely got nailed last winter...and the one before that. They’re probably the least “due” out of the whole region. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

17 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Same. I want to live somewhere that I get enough snow that it’s not an event to celebrate, but not so much that I get sick of it. 30-40” a year maybe?

Where I live, we get 90 inches a year.  So definitely not as exciting when it snows or as disappointing when it doesn't, but I don't get tired of it until about March.  Then it starts to melt.  I've gone to Colorado several times, and for many areas the biggest snow months are in March.  That might be a bit much even for me.

2 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Where I live, we get 90 inches a year.  So definitely not as exciting when it snows or as disappointing when it doesn't, but I don't get tired of it until about March.  Then it starts to melt.  I've gone to Colorado several times, and for many areas the biggest snow months are in March.  That might be a bit much even for me.

Went to college in northern Utah in a climate where the snow could last until April. It sucked. Dirty, slushy, trashy (literally, filled with all the trash that got buried during the winter and was now melting out) snow making everything look drab. Oh, and it still has a high albedo so forget about that sprig sunshine accomplishing much. So you get to hear the Salt Lake stations boast about another glorious spring day well into the 60's, but your high was in the 38–42 range AGAIN. With not a green thing in sight.

It sucked.

Yes there CAN be such a thing as too much snow.

• scream 1
  • Downvote 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

Day 10

gfs_z500a_namer_41.png

This is beginning to look a lot more promising.  Three chilly troughs in the next 10 days.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Went to college in northern Utah in a climate where the snow could last until April. It sucked. Dirty, slushy, trashy (literally, filled with all the trash that got buried during the winter and was now melting out) snow making everything look drab. Oh, and it still has a high albedo so forget about that sprig sunshine accomplishing much. So you get to hear the Salt Lake stations boast about another glorious spring day well into the 60's, but your high was in the 38–42 range AGAIN. With not a green thing in sight.

It sucked.

Salt Lake is the ugliest place on earth I've ever been. Summer, winter, dosen't matter.

• Downvote 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

10 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

In Colorado it often melts even during the winter though.  Not usually the case in Leavenworth.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Salt Lake is the ugliest place on earth I've ever been. Summer, winter, dosen't matter.

I had a a layover there and thought it looked pretty with all the mountains and snow around. That must change once you leave the airport.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It sucked.

My thing is that once the snow has stopped for good, I hope for a quick melt.  The grass will have lost its color and will take awhile until it turns green.  That is why March is my least favorite month.  At least we don't have 100 inches on the ground like some of the places in Colorado.  They call the melt season the Mud Season.  

Still is great to live in a snowy area though.

• Like 1

I have the answer for where the cold air comes from that the NWS can't figure out.  It comes from the cold air that will be dammed up along the north slopes of the Olympics earlier in the day.  Once the low center goes east of Puget Sound it causes that dammed up cold air to pour down Puget Sound.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

My thing is that once the snow has stopped for good, I hope for a quick melt.  The grass will have lost its color and will take awhile until it turns green.  That is why March is my least favorite month.  At least we don't have 100 inches on the ground like some of the places in Colorado.  They call the melt season the Mud Season.  

Still is great to live in a snowy area though.

I think the Cascades get more than Colorado.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

In Colorado it often melts even during the winter though.  Not usually the case in Leavenworth.

Depends on where in Colorado.  Like Washington they have pretty dry and relatively warm areas, and of course Denver can go from a foot of snow to 70 degrees in a day, but the mountains will have the snow really pile up.  Winter Park, for example, often has snow on the ground for 6 months. 

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Thankfully, I was in Logan. Much nicer. It's in this amazingly lush valley (both farms and wetlands). An impressive oasis in an area that's generally semiarid. Downside is that there can be severe temperature inversions in that valley, and as already mentioned spring can take a long time to come.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Depends on where in Colorado.  Like Washington they have pretty dry and relatively warm areas, and of course Denver can go from a foot of snow to 70 degrees in a day, but the mountains will have the snow really pile up.  Winter Park, for example, often has snow on the ground for 6 months. 

That makes sense.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS is far from terrible.  Some pretty chilly looking troughs in the believable range.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Chilliwack, BC got about a 1 m of snow last January, and some models show them getting 50 cm this time. Be glad nobody is posting from there to gloat. It's still in the lowlands but far enough east that they are to Bellingham as Belligham is to Eugene or perhaps Redding.

4 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

00z GFS 10 Day Rainfall, Snowfall totals

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

snodpc_acc.us_nw.png

Where did the snow from tomorrow go on that map?  Kind of odd how that doesn't match up with the maps for tomorrow.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9