December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

3 minutes ago, wxmet said:

Can’t remember of the top of by head, when was the last time the ECMWF failed a snow forecast?

It had one for 2017. Instead of a couple inches, only had a rain snow mix and I’m close to 500’

• Snow 1

1 minute ago, puyallupjon said:

convergence zones rarely set up over Puyallup.  they may set up to the north and move from north to south before petering out though.  something stinks about this set up.  again, it looks like someone's 4 year old got a hold of some gray, blue and pink crayons and just went to town.

Rare but it happens. We had one like 5 years ago in the summer. We are due!!

• Excited 1

53 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

In addition to getting the snowblower ready... we just got the shovels and all the sleds down from the attic above the garage.   We are full winter mode now.   My daughter is done with school now for the holidays so she will be sledding from the Tuesday through Christmas Day.     

Looks the rain holds off until after dark on Christmas and that will probably be when the real melting starts here.

New NWS graphic is showing less than an inch in North Bend. Good luck sledding. I think you can replace the snowblower with a hairdryer.

1 minute ago, Jesse said:

We've stolen Mossman's identity and are about to take his plow on a joyride over Steven's Pass.

It does have a full tank so it might make it there! 

• Thanks 1
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We've stolen Mossman's identity and are about to take his plow on a joyride over Steven's Pass.

Wow. Finally something productive. Oh, I just saw the EPS. Very good agreement for the SSW to be underway around Day 7. Looks excellent.

00z ECMWF in 5 hours 13 minutes

• Excited 1

36 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yea I’d like to see what areas got snow during the 1974 event. Looks like it was central/south sound so maybe it wouldn’t be unprecedented if it occurred tomorrow. I think we’re just too close to the water even at our elevation. Slushy inch of snow is probably the best case scenario in our area. 

Yeah, it was definitely focused from north Seattle down to Olympia. Puyallup got 10"!

Areas north of Everett got little to nothing.

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, it was definitely focused from north Seattle down to Olympia. Puyallup got 10"!

Ugh...Un-staging my plow now. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Almost a relief from down here to not have to track a real marginal setup. Feels like PDX has busted a lot recently in those scenarios. Rooting for a positive outcome up there, which I will then transition to a forum familiar version of bitterness and jealousy and hyperbolic "it will never snow here again" before the PV lobe splits and crushes us in mid Jan.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Almost a relief from down here to not have to track a real marginal setup. Feels like PDX has busted a lot recently in those scenarios. Rooting for a positive outcome up there, which I will then transition to a forum familiar version of bitterness and jealousy and hyperbolic "it will never snow here again" before the PV lobe splits and crushes us in mid Jan.

I love watching the models when a PV lobe pivots down through Yukon. The mechanical forcing is astounding on the entire pattern.

00z GFS in 2 hours 13 minutes

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

March was pretty decent for hilly areas— was nice to have some snow after the January debacle haha 

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

March was pretty decent for hilly areas— was nice to have some snow after the January debacle haha 

yeah hills tend to do ok in the marginal setups. March I had about 15 minutes of a great snow globe onto wet pavement which has by and large been the modus operandi in the city center since Jan 2017. Some dustings in 2019.

The last event of any real sticking snow was 2/20 2018 which had had 4" at the airport but I got about 1-2" in Goose Hollow TR1zggAFEeXxuWAgqIrIemXdi-Rte3b1XFGVQt9umBQO7ZNA5admZRLY8d981Qem8KOVtPU3i_Tl6jxy5vu7uDheVr3vnw1Mt138ytFN38uZY_gP4YHfDP19aQWQ3WEc6jripqUuQFhwMemTWKMJCRxw4deMxWs-2xqxIhmFlUHNdKX-Sr7Ym4O7TK3DiNoakL0tmT3KtNw4TcngEK5Ytm_5dn_mwc8A17g6fDdQpiGVYK8nkTc8hg1ZSwUjv5_tYqUFMVcYBM9lUxzFc1XX5kgXEyriVWr6PR-gp5ZclrBoOv9YrfNz7qx5aQQcPB8qcQi4VSJGkWaTBZYzotVcKHWhXTC8J4X0vDzvfK_nDG4OsBd_Qxc_Ir_1QHMykqTmws3r0PsUhxA_cWIDicIyGwqsqv5lwqh0d87uoKKWGaaYHh5E-bhvQ5pF7i4fOiSgK-MHt6eIU4DPmoc3yFunhqDWBFs9K30Ui-21gTI-OktkoS-AURn3V25JK5r2wNdKjgp_R36CxuRSd-BrxQhYW8v2KLkw6qD-eLrC_A3qWQiAUGHYoaPKDQbM2wDSbgH49TrIrCTb5CbYQdfxa_gCKq11DoD5Pk6rXzBVFCxULxtxkRWvaFZHs7pCVolIViQPR7CgwPuYMhgT3yIt1uah8WX0Bw2qQfUUM7B3ORk5XOaR6kanbYm6N8Iq0pAJ=w1251-h938-no?authuser=0

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wxmet said:

Can’t remember of the top of by head, when was the last time the ECMWF failed a snow forecast?

Not that it matters much but it does a horrible job for the area around my cabin. The WRF model does much better. None of them are all that great at predicting snow amounts though. 

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

46 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

So from Seattle to Olympia there was a pretty widespread decent snow event in 74. It is 2020 wouldn’t be surprising. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

We’ve lost Jim. But I’m sure he knows more than the Mets at the NWS. 

I do want to go back to a question that was asked earlier but had no response. How long does it take the models to respond to an SSW event? And if I can add to it, is it underway already and doesn’t finish up for 16 days or has it yet to begin?

Phil? Anyone?

• Like 2

0z NAM stronger and significantly further North.

I don't think exact track matters as much for the Puget Sound area a lot of people think with this though. It is the backwash to the West of the low once it moves into the Cascades that has a chance to bring lowland snow and that won't be too impacted for the Central Sound whether it comes through Tacoma or Everett. Track has a much bigger impact in Victoria/Port Angeles/Bham.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The later timing on the NAM caused by the stronger further North low would actually be a good thing for the Sound since the best dynamics would be after sunset.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Here's the 3km NAM through 7PM. It cut way back on totals for just about everyone compared to 18z.

Pretty much the entire event for King County is between 3-6PM.

nam-nest-conus-seattle-total_snow_10to1-8606000-1.png

What I'd give for just 1.7" of snow. C'MON!!!!

00z ECMWF (Christmas Eve) in 99 hours 34 minutes

4 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Here's the 3km NAM through 7PM. It cut way back on totals for just about everyone compared to 18z.

Pretty much the entire event for King County is between 3-6PM.

nam-nest-conus-seattle-total_snow_10to1-8606000-1.png

Wow I went from 4 inches to literally zero. Tough bounce. Look Port Angeles. They had there totals REALLY cut back