December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

8 minutes ago, Esquimalt said:

Yeah rain here too.  Euro looks better for us but I really don’t see there being 5 inches of accumulation here come tonight.  Almost a foot at the ferries according to the euro 

Yeah, we're not going to see those 10:1 ratios. It's transitioned over to snow up around Sydney so perhaps favorable upper level conditions are close. Down to 0.9C (33.6F) here now, but still mostly rain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

And its up to 60 degrees now in North Bend... we will put the "warm ground" theory to the test tonight because it does not get much warmer than this in December.

nb 12-21 2.png

Assuming you are referring to warm ground slowing down accumulation, as someone who frequently sees snowstorms that follow 60+ days, I can tell you the warm ground theory is only true for maybe the first hour or two of snow falling. At least if you're seeing moderate to heavy snow.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

Heavy chunky rain and positive splats for the past couple of hours here. This appears to be a bit ahead for schedule, so hopefully that's good news for later in the day.

Changeover from straight rain to rain/snow mix was right at the southern edge of town, which seems to happen a lot. Straight rain in Lynden as of about 9:30am.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

The GFS v16 shows over a foot of snow near Everett. 😆

Good to know the replacement GFS can be just as loony as the old version. Real big upgrade.

2020-12-21 10_20_18-Models_ GFSv16 — Pivotal Weather - Vivaldi.png

Hey it stills works perfectly fine south of King County. Zero snow from Tacoma to Eugene😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Here is my “before” picture...The “after” picture will probably look identical haha! 
Up to 45 degrees with moderate drizzle.

.81” so far on the day, 5.10” for the month. 

B74EAAE6-1CAC-4B50-BF4B-23E5BD6A12FE.jpeg

• Like 4

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

12z Euro shows the big temperature change for Central Sound areas to occur between 4-5PM. Surface temps, 925s, and 850s are all shown to drop off around that time. If we are going to get any snow, it'll be around that time or later. 

There is a South Sound CZ signature showing up between 7-8PM. Probably the best chance for any surprises.

1608606000-FL89Phw4ui0.png

1608609600-LM1WHqcFjDw.png

LETS GO BABY. I might get a rain snow mix out of this!!!!!! Real talk tho, it's been awhile since my area has had a convergence zone for snow

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

6 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

12z Euro shows the big temperature change for Central Sound areas to occur between 4-5PM. Surface temps, 925s, and 850s are all shown to drop off around that time. If we are going to get any snow, it'll be around that time or later. 

There is a South/Central Sound CZ signature showing up between 7-8PM. Probably the best chance for any surprises.

1608606000-FL89Phw4ui0.png

1608609600-LM1WHqcFjDw.png

Should be fun to count the two flakes that will fall from the sky

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 2

18 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Assuming you are referring to warm ground slowing down accumulation, as someone who frequently sees snowstorms that follow 60+ days, I can tell you the warm ground theory is only true for maybe the first hour or two of snow falling. At least if you're seeing moderate to heavy snow.

The warm ground thing has never made much sense to me.  Ambient temperature/dew point, precip rates and solar radiation are the only REAL factors.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

22 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

This. Once it snowed an inch 18hrs after a 74°F high. In the middle of the day in March.

Sun angles and ground temps matter. But only in marginal setups. And even then it can be overcome by rates.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wxmet said:

Feels like the CZ should setup further north than what the ECMWF is showing but that model can’t be wrong inside 24hrs.

Initially there will be multiple c-zones right after the main frontal passage.   Later tonight it shows a single c-zone from Randy's area eastward and that fades away by early morning rather than moving south.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Very heavy drizzle now! Temp at 46.0 however it appears that the wind is attempting to shift to a W-NW direction. 
Up to .86” on the day. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Light rain and 40F here. It looks like the warmth has reached Arlington and Coupeville just about 20 miles south. I don't think it's supposed to get up here, but we'll see.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)