December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

4 minutes ago, iFred said:

Already one message from someone complaining about all of the "off topic" talk from members in Canada and NW WA.

Just a note, generally the coastal lowlands from Crescent City, CA to Haines, AK are impacted one way or another from the same Pacific systems. This forum is for those folks. If there is a strong interest in an Oregon only discussion thread, then create it. If the thread is active, it will get pinned.

How can you get mad about weather discussions for Washington and Canada in the "December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW" forum page? Some ppl crack me up😂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Lol, yeah that is nonsense. The more, the merrier! I love seeing posts from other areas of the west coast. 

Same. That is kind of the purpose of this subforum. Having things broken down into little sub-regions would get too confusing IMO. We are all impacted by the same large scale weather patterns in this region, even if the on the ground results may vary a lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

How can you get mad about weather discussions for Washington and Canada in the "December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW" forum page? Some ppl crack me up😂

Right? It's like, what the fuckk else are we supposed to talk about here? We're going to post our observations down here because it's where we live. Just feels condescending.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Right? It's like, what the fuckk else are we supposed to talk about here. We're going to post our observations down here because it's where we live. Just feels condescending.

Even tho Victoria and Vancouver are in Canada, we all share the same climate so it shouldn't matter if they are in a different country or not. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kokaneekidz said:

i Fred ! Are you just trying to tune us up a bit? LOL

Think of how bad it's gonna be if even places like Lewis County north score and all of Oregon and SW Washington posters will be posting obs about rain and being hopeful that a pattern down the line can produce something favorable for our part of the region. It'll be a "civil war" on here at that point.

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

Even tho Victoria and Vancouver are in Canada, we all share the same climate so it shouldn't matter if they are in a different country or not. 

Victoria should be part of USA as it is south of the 49th parallel. If it were on the mainland it would be.

5 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Think of how bad it's gonna be if even places like Lewis County north score and all of Oregon and SW Washington posters will be posting obs about rain and being hopeful that a pattern down the line can produce something for favorable for our part of the region. It'll be a "civil war" on here at that point.

You wish. There have been set ups like that before and it's usually just fine. There will always be a few posters who have a problem but most here are pretty civil and can see the bigger picture. It's cool when anywhere in the western lowlands score because it's relatively rare for all of us, whether you live in Vancouver BC or Medford. 

• Like 3

Absolutely torching here today as well (currently 51F!) so I guess that means our patterns are connected so I'll be posting my daily reports here going forward! Thanks Fred!! 😉

• Like 1
  • Troll 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

6 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Think of how bad it's gonna be if even places like Lewis County north score and all of Oregon and SW Washington posters will be posting obs about rain and being hopeful that a pattern down the line can produce something favorable for our part of the region. It'll be a "civil war" on here at that point.

What we’ve got here is.... a failure... to communicate.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

5 minutes ago, kokaneekidz said:

Victoria should be part of USA as it is south of the 49th parallel. If it were on the mainland it would be.

There was almost a war over that very thing. Started by a pig 🐷 getting shot on someone's farm in the San Juan's.

• Like 2

Temp just started dropping. Still mostly in the shadow, but there seem to be a good couple of moisture blobs headed this way. 39F

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

7 minutes ago, kokaneekidz said:

Take a look at eastern Canada some time. Lots of it is south of the 49th.

Would have been impractical to have Vancouver Island split by a border. I would support selling Point Roberts to Canada for the same reason.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

There was almost a war over that very thing. Started by a pig 🐷 getting shot on someone's farm in the San Juan's.

The boundary treaty had wording which turned out to be ambiguous in the case of the San Juan Islands. There never was any ambiguity about Vancouver Island. It was always British/Canadian.

If the drafters of the treaty had known about Point Roberts, they would have probably given it to Canada.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

16 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Plus Victoria is south of many Washington posters in this subforum. I'd argue their weather is often more relevant to central Puget Sound than mine is.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The boundary treaty had wording which turned out to be ambiguous in the case of the San Juan Islands. There never was any ambiguity about Vancouver Island. It was always British/Canadian.

If the drafters of the treaty had known about Point Roberts, they would have probably given it to Canada.

Same general idea. But thanks for the clarification, Hermione!

• Like 1

Looks like it's pretty snowy up near the border. This is near Birch Bay on I-5.

20201221_BBaySnow.jpg.8eb6f09afd5ce81c0887c50780f7b675.jpg

• Like 3

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

3 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Pretty wintery scene for inland parts of the island today (this is west of Duncan):

202012211128.jpg

Incredibly the temperature has continued to drop here in Victoria (down to 0.4C/32.7F) yet there still isn't any accumulation to speak of (hopefully that doesn't offend anyone). 😅

Should be changing over for you anytime now. Accumulating on roads now too! 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, iFred said:

Already one message from someone complaining about all of the "off topic" talk from members in Canada and NW WA.

Just a note, generally the coastal lowlands from Crescent City, CA to Haines, AK are impacted one way or another from the same Pacific systems. This forum is for those folks. If there is a strong interest in an Oregon only discussion thread, then create it. If the thread is active, it will get pinned.

Last I heard BC and NW WA are both in the PACNW....

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Take a look at eastern Canada some time. Lots of it is south of the 49th.

Would have been impractical to have Vancouver Island split by a border. I would support selling Point Roberts to Canada for the same reason.

As long as we're on this "off"-topic, interesting story about Sumas. The surveyors missed the 49th parallel here, and drew the border line too far south. It eventually got corrected as the surveyors moved further west. But the result is a strip about 100 yards wide stretching for a few miles that is offficially part of the USA but north of 49°, making Sumas the furthest north incorporated city in the lower 48. My house just about straddles where the border "should" be.

• Like 4