December 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Omegaraptor

17 minutes ago, El_Nina said:

First you mentioned yesterday the snowpack was surprisingly unaffected by the AR and would actually probabaly go up again last night. Then now you seem to have forgotten it was 60 just yesterday even though you were talking about it all afternoon. 

It was both 50+ and 60+ yesterday. You guys are both right.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

10 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

As usual, there is little reason to trust the models more than a few days out, but the Euro sure was a lot more intriguing.

Yep, just pick a time frame and click back 8 runs and watch how different they are. Pretty crazy.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Well, I could've done that....:).

I am busy and have a 6 month old that needs attention......a link to the latest KING EURO!!!!

hmm ok it's only a few more clicks but here ya go may I suggest a bookmark for future requests  https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=ecmwf&p=500h_anom&rh=2020122212&fh=0&r=na&dpdt=&mc=

The most interesting thing I can find. 18z GEFS did feature the best Columbia Basin cold pool yet through about January 4th. If that persists, if there is any snow cover in the Eastern Gorge/Columbia Basin that would be even colder. If the jet is suppressed and systems largely move into our south, cold east winds would continue for quite some time with low level cold building in the Central to Western Gorge. Then we would just need moisture. Who knows....

image.png

48/36 for the day with the occasional shower. Much better.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

13 minutes ago, dolt said:

I think you misread that. Looks like they're going for 27. Maybe a few frostmen are in the cards for this Christmas.

C9B7059A-D322-492C-B2C1-783408C55624.png

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

8 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

C9B7059A-D322-492C-B2C1-783408C55624.png

Poking around a bit, I find the NWS website to be pretty inconsistent. I'm getting different predictions from your link, my phone app (that uses NWS predictions), and their main website. I'll be fine with 22. Maybe I can make some wheelbarrow ice.

2 hours ago, North_County said:

In November (I think), a couple of individuals were arrested trying to sabotage the train tracks in Bellingham using shunts. Catch-and-release. Reportedly they were associated with groups protesting the coal train shipments using the line. At the time, it was reported that there were something like 20 similar cases or discoveries in the last year-ish in Skagit and Whatcom counties. The Bellingham Herald referred to the Whatcom train network as a "prime target."

You could very well be correct, and this could be mere operator error. But it's not exactly tinfoil-hat-worthy to think it's highly suspicious.

What they were doing was installing a “shunt,” a device that shorts the two rails together, thereby electrically mimicking the presence of a train and fooling the signaling system into turning lights red and stopping trains. Note the last part: stopping trains. Make them stop when it is otherwise safe to proceed. Not the reverse.

While illegal, and technically an act of terrorism because it entails electrically tampering with a signaling system, installing shunts can not cause a derailment.

It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

What they were doing was installing a “shunt,” a device that shorts the two rails together, thereby electrically mimicking the presence of a train and fooling the signaling system into turning lights red and stopping trains. Note the last part: stopping trains. Make them stop when it is otherwise safe to proceed. Not the reverse.

While illegal, and technically an act of terrorism because it entails electrically tampering with a signaling system, installing shunts can not cause a derailment.

I don't pretend to be a train expert, but the DOJ release from November 30th specifically identifies derailments multiple times as a danger of installing shunts.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdwa/pr/pair-charged-interfering-safety-railroad-tracks

"“Since January there have been 41 incidents of shunts placed on the BNSF tracks in Whatcom and Skagit counties—causing crossing guards to malfunction, interfering with automatic braking systems, and, in one case, causing the near-derailment of tanks of hazardous chemicals,” said U.S. Attorney Moran"

"On the night of October 11, 2020, multiple shunts were placed in three different locations in Whatcom and Skagit Counties.  The shunts triggered an automatic braking system on a train that was transporting hazardous and combustible material.  The emergency braking then caused a portion of the train to decouple from the engine.  Decoupling has the potential to cause a derailment—in this case—of tanker cars of flammable gas in a residential area. "

Further, intuitively, causing a vehicle with hundreds or thousands of tons of trailing weight, insane amounts of momentum, and dozens of points of articulation, to stop suddenly and unexpectedly, seems like exactly the kind of thing that would cause a derailment. Like a semi jacknifing from sudden braking. (And yes, I get that the safety braking system triggered isn't necessarily like slamming on the brakes, but I also assume it's more sudden and less prepared for than a typical planned braking. And that's alot of momentum to bring to a stop.)

Again, it very well could be basic mechanical failure or operator error. But it's also not wise to immediately dismiss even the remote possibility that the 41 known incidents of railway tampering in the last year could be related.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, North_County said:

"On the night of October 11, 2020, multiple shunts were placed in three different locations in Whatcom and Skagit Counties.  The shunts triggered an automatic braking system on a train that was transporting hazardous and combustible material.  The emergency braking then caused a portion of the train to decouple from the engine.  Decoupling has the potential to cause a derailment—in this case—of tanker cars of flammable gas in a residential area. "

This is an overzealous prosecutor, and why trials have cross-examinations. Emergency stops can damage couplers and wheels, but they almost never cause derailments.

And a shunt in and of itself cannot trigger an automatic emergency stop. Ignoring a red light caused by a shunt can, but ignored red lights are the fault of the engineer.

It's called clown range for a reason.