Jump to content
The Weather Forums

Which do you think was a better winter? 1998-1999 or 1999 thru 2000?


Recommended Posts

Also which winter effected schools the most for your area?

 

For us 1998 was a dry but cold winter in Silverton but we got more snow in 1999 thru 2000 but not much cold.  I think mid to late January we had a sloppy 2 inch event where we closed school for a day maybe 2 days even? I just remember being surprised at people's reactions to how easily schools closed and Salem only had a 2 hour delay.  Which schools do you recall tending to be tougher or whimpy when closing/delays are called out and how much snow do you remember in 1999 thru 2000?

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

1998-99, and it’s not even close. Had a legit high tier arctic blast (dry one though) and one of the best winters ever recorded in the Cascades snow-wise.

How did the schools react that year? Did they close down for a long time or eventually have to chain up the buses? Do they put chains on the school buses in Alaska? Is it hard to put the chains on when it's so cold? What does the cold in Alaska do to their power grid? Has there ever been a place so cold they don't have electric power? How would that effect school closures? If the schools are closed for too long can it negatively effect the amount of people who get an education so they can go work for the power company as adults? What do they do if it's too cold to go work at the power company and there aren't enough people to work there? Has this ever happened in any state? Has this ever had an effect on the power grid in Alabama? Does Alabama get much snow? What do they do with their school buses when it snows there?

  • scream 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Omegaraptor said:

1998-99, and it’s not even close. Had a legit high tier arctic blast (dry one though) and one of the best winters ever recorded in the Cascades snow-wise.

The December 1998 blast wasn't dry, just FWIW.

The front itself did only produce spotty snow, but there was a clipper on the 21st mid-blast that dropped a fairly widespread inch across NW OR and SW WA. Then the overrunning event on Christmas Eve that produced a widespread 2-3" for the Portland and Seattle areas before a quick changeover.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, 1998/99 had much better wave driving than 1999/00. Two SSW events in 1998/99, one of them in December, the other in late Feb/Mar.

On the other hand, 1999/00 was an unmitigated zonal disaster upstairs.

image.thumb.jpeg.80691e7f95778671536a9fa3b053963e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a81829121d1d5125857967e38a12b4a7.jpeg
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Well, 1998/99 had much better wave driving than 1999/00. Two SSW events in 1998/99, one of them in December, the other in late Feb/Mar.

On the other hand, 1999/00 was an unmitigated zonal disaster upstairs.

image.thumb.jpeg.80691e7f95778671536a9fa3b053963e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a81829121d1d5125857967e38a12b4a7.jpeg
 

What I remember most about 99-2000 was Dave Tolleris  rocking February that turned into an epic Rocking bust after our sort winter blitzs in middle late January :lol: :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, weatherfan2012 said:

What I remember most about 99-2000 was Dave Tolleris  rocking February that turned into an epic Rocking bust after our sort winter blitzs in middle late January :lol: :lol:

Wasn’t that bust March 2001?

My first real snow memory was January 2000, I think? One of those years in the 1998-2000 period.

I remember a foot of snow with big wind gusts blowing it all over the place. Was just standing outside in my winter coat, mesmerized by it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Phil said:

Wasn’t that bust March 2001?

My first real snow memory was January 2000, I think? One of those years in the 1998-2000 period.

I remember a foot of snow with big wind gusts blowing it all over the place. Was just standing outside in my winter coat, mesmerized by it.

     Yeah That was January 25 2000 the oppersite bust where the storm happen when forecasts were for a inch or less.but doing that time after the storm Dave was hyping how febuary was going to be rocking and he busted big time as February was awful lol I remember that very well 99-2000 was the two week January winter but certernly was wild mid to late January .2000-2001 was the classic miller B screw winter.March 2001 should have  known that would happen considering Miller B phase screw patterns here but everyone took the bate with that one.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally from 1998 to 2003 I didn't get any snow until like 11/15/2003. 

And I was a kid so I can't really pick which winters were better. 

Our older station in K-Falls too was defunct around that time frame so I can't comment on local snowfall then.

[Signature in link]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, BLI snowman said:

1898-99 was pretty great.

Incredible in Seattle.  That winter featured the longest stretch with 10 or more inches of snow on the ground in Seattle in the period of record.  I think it was 10 days or something like that.  That event was late December / early Jan, and then we had the huge cold wave in early Feb.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

 

Winter 2021-22 stats

 

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 29

Lows 32 or below = 7

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Incredible in Seattle.  That winter featured the longest stretch with 10 or more inches of snow on the ground in Seattle in the period of record.  I think it was 10 days or something like that.  That event was late December / early Jan, and then we had the huge cold wave in early Feb.

1898/99 was our greatest winter of all time until 2009/10 beat it. At least in terms of snowfall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2020 at 10:53 PM, weatherfan2012 said:

I Wonder how those 16 hundreds winters were with the peak mounder min going on then 🤔

Do you think they were much wetter or drier? How much different do you think the inland high deserts like Bend,Prineville or Pendleton were?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2020 at 7:18 PM, Link said:

Do you think they were much wetter or drier? How much different do you think the inland high deserts like Bend,Prineville or Pendleton were?

A good question well before my time so have to research look it up those it hard to really find much information about weather clear back then as it was before records started being kelp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/31/2020 at 7:18 PM, Link said:

Do you think they were much wetter or drier? How much different do you think the inland high deserts like Bend,Prineville or Pendleton were?

Well, they were much, much wetter in the SW US and drier in the cold season in AK/coastal BC.

There were decades of unbroken -NAO in that era as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both were terrible for us in Southern California, which followed a very wet 1997-98.

Constant offshore flow and high pressure blocking out storms. I could live the rest of my life without seeing that again (as we did in 2008-09, 2013-14, 2017-18).

  • Like 1
 

My personal weather station: Davis Instruments Vantage Pro 2

2021-2022 Season Total: 1.38" (as of 12/1/21)

2020-2021 Season Total: 5.40"

2019-2020 Season Total: 15.82"

2018-2019 Season Total: 15.84"

2017-2018 Season Total: 4.63"

2016-2017 Season Total: 15.18"

2015-2016 Season Total: 8.12"

2014-2015 Season Total: 10.09"

2013-2014 Season Total: 7.35"

2012-2013 Season Total: 7.11"

2011-2012 Season Total: 7.02"

2010-2011 Season Total: 17.09"

2009-2010 Season Total: 11.59"

Average Seasonal Precipitation: 10.89" (11 years)

California Water Year/Rainy Season measuring period runs from July 1 to June 30.
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, Reg1992 said:

Both were terrible for us in Southern California, which followed a very wet 1997-98.

Constant offshore flow and high pressure blocking out storms. I could live the rest of my life without seeing that again (as we did in 2008-09, 2013-14, 2017-18).

1999-00 was definitely better than 2013-14 and 2017-18 in Socal, but the fall was very similar to this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, BLI snowman said:

The December 1998 blast wasn't dry, just FWIW.

The front itself did only produce spotty snow, but there was a clipper on the 21st mid-blast that dropped a fairly widespread inch across NW OR and SW WA. Then the overrunning event on Christmas Eve that produced a widespread 2-3" for the Portland and Seattle areas before a quick changeover.

Unfortunately for Silverton the clipper did not produce anything of note, I remember maybe an hour of flurries with it. And the changeover on the 24th was pretty quick just a dusting. If Link slept in that morning he would have missed it. I loved that blast though. 32/16, 23/10, 21/11, 26/12 at Silverton. Would love to see something like that happen again someday. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: T"                         2021-22: 8.44" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Snowfall                                  Precip

2021-22: T"                         2021-22: 8.44" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...