December 11-13th MW/GL Snowstorm

bud2380

8 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

Well UKIE is barf too.  So we'll see if the Euro does a full cave or not here.  We basically have the Canadian and ICON still showing significant snow and every other model showing much less.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

NIce bullseye right over my back yard on that run! See that little sliver of 6+, right over my county! HA. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1
  • Weenie 1

First advisory out from Hastings. Mentioned the trend is further north. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE...CORRECTED
National Weather Service Hastings NE
1103 AM CST Thu Dec 10 2020

NEZ041-047>049-062>064-075>077-085>087-110100-
/O.COR.KGID.WW.Y.0019.201211T1200Z-201212T1200Z/
Nance-Howard-Merrick-Polk-Hall-Hamilton-York-Adams-Clay-Fillmore-
Webster-Nuckolls-Thayer-
Including the cities of Fullerton, Genoa, St. Libory,
Central City, Stromsburg, Osceola, Shelby, Polk, Grand Island,
Aurora, York, Hastings, Sutton, Harvard, Clay Center, Edgar,
Fairfield, Geneva, Exeter, Fairmont, Inavale, Red Cloud,
Blue Hill, Rosemont, Bladen, Bostwick, Superior, Nelson, Hebron,
and Deshler
1103 AM CST Thu Dec 10 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM FRIDAY TO 6 AM CST
SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 3 inches.
  Localized higher amounts are possible.

* WHERE...Portions of central, east central and south central
  Nebraska.

* WHEN...From 6 AM Friday to 6 AM CST Saturday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the evening commute.

* WIND...North 10-15 MPH with gusts to around 25 MPH.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...This system has been trending northward,
  and the band of heaviest snow is currently forecast to be near
  Interstate 80. But additional shifts are possible, so stay tuned
  for upcoming forecasts.
  • Snow 2

I'm curious to see what the NWS does now.  I'm sure they will side towards the lighter amounts as they usually do.  They seem to have a GFS bias, which is somewhat baffling.  But when you have one model showing an inch or less for most of the area and another showing 6"+ for a large portion of the area, not sure what you do there. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

I'm curious to see what the NWS does now.  I'm sure they will side towards the lighter amounts as they usually do.  They seem to have a GFS bias, which is somewhat baffling.  But when you have one model showing an inch or less for most of the area and another showing 6"+ for a large portion of the area, not sure what you do there. 

I'm guessing a 2-4" advisory and see how it looks in the morning 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

12z Euro...better here but still not buying it...I think its seeing the dynamic cooling...very heavy precip falls between 12:00-6:00pm on Sat for NE IL...man, what could have been (sounds like a common "saying" the past few winters)...

1.png

Not buying these numbers for anyone on this sub and especially for Chi-town northern burbs but one can only dream. Most likely a cold rain with some snow covering the grassy areas for our area and maybe 2-4 for areas NW of here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Tony said:

Not buying these numbers for anyone on this sub and especially for Chi-town northern burbs but one can only dream. Most likely a cold rain with some snow covering the grassy areas for our area and maybe 2-4 for areas NW of here.

RPM model is showing a changeover around noon and looked very similar to the Euro but not as robust.  I think a couple of inches are possible from ORD and points west/north...the city is looking primarily rain and some backside light snow/showers.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dubuque473 said:

Is this on shore and fully sampled?

The jet streak that will help spin up the second wave will be onshore this evening.

• Thanks 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Winter storm watch for 4-7/ 5-8 . 15-30 miles north of me.  mentions between 5-1 up to 9-1 snow ratios.  yuck.    Nothing but 1-2" of rain here.  Cooler (normal) but No precip for next 7 days after this.  Sad.  Good luck to everyone else.  Looks like a lot of slop for a lot of folks.  

• Like 2

The latest HRRR mostly misses Cedar Rapids to the southeast with the second wave's defo zone.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

3k NAM

snku_acc.us_mw.png

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"