The current Ridging ..

richard mann

-

With checking through what I do regularly relative to and where considering my own interests both weather and climate wise, ….

This as both the weather and climate impact the Greater Far West, or both the Pacific Northwest along with more southward.

... and with this, where looking more specifically at the current significant ridge-development and patterning sitting setup over much of the West and westward out over the Eastern Pacificand further, the whole question of ridge-development more generally, …

.. What I'm noting as having been the most significant elements and factors having worked to have contributed to this development, have been first, and if more obvious, the still remaining warmer-season heat, even heating potential to the south, together along with also, otherwise, the significant earlier fall-season "cold", having built up to the NE over Canada and having moved more directly south, just east of both the main ridge in place, and also "The Rockies"i.e. the main "ridge-line" looked at more geographically, "dividing" the country. 

14100315z Goes10-IR -@
14100306-13 tcm sfc na -@

This, with this cold's relative to my own appreciation, having been steered more directly south as it has, with colder air's looked at more broadly, over-all at this point, significantly slowed movement and pace east. In fact having been slowing, steadily more daily, for several days. .And with this idea, this cold's in my view, having worked to "block" the more general flow of the atmosphere east, contributing to the ridgingsignificanthaving developed here more to its west. .This, while at the same time and also of note, the main cold sitting more out over the Eastern Central Pacific at this point, and also having slowed its main pace eastward, has with its slowing, more allowed for this greater ridging.

.. If "classifying" this ridge / "ridge-type", I'd call it .. a more "classic" "near to equinox", development and formation. 

---

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- 
With this threadnot stated above within its more initial postmy main intent has been to have set up a thread, where the general character of different, main and more significant ridges / ridging can be examined / discussed .. To whatever extent, and by whomever.

Here within this post and where considering the "current Ridge" in place more at this point, I'll just add to, or update .. the main materials that I'd pointed to within my more initial post above, which focus mainly on the shape and general coverage of the ridge in place currently, along together with otherwise, the main colder air to the east - still in place, which I've pointed to above with having suggested a basic link between it and the ridge.

14100500z Goes10-IR -@
14100406-13 tcm sfc na -@

Related, generally.

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/640-october-2014-observations-for-the-pacific-northwest/?p=34147
http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/640-october-2014-observations-for-the-pacific-northwest/?p=34151

---

(.. cross-reference. Plus additional materials.)

http://theweatherforums.com/index.php?/topic/640-october-2014-observations-for-the-pacific-northwest/?p=34323

14100118z united srf-anal 6-hrly.gif  ("gif" loop.)

14100200z-14100200z satsfc na 3-hrly.gif
14100200z-14100200z satsfc na/epac 3-hrly.gif  ("gif" loops.)

Note the differential, as indicated within the second of the two loops here more just above, where looking at the main surface-pressure values of the colder air mass East, set against those of the ridge West, over the 2nd and 3rd of October.

14100200z-14100700z Goes-E 12-hrly

---