January 2021 Observations and Discussion

Grizzcoat

28 minutes ago, Niko said:

Snowing now in parts of LA 🤣

Snow is actually no stranger to Northern Louisiana.

However, it is ridiculous that Houston is getting snow while I'm right at the freezing mark.

Screwwwwww this split flow pattern.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

23 minutes ago, FAR_Weather said:

Snow is actually no stranger to Northern Louisiana.

However, it is ridiculous that Houston is getting snow while I'm right at the freezing mark.

Screwwwwww this split flow pattern.

Its pathetic!

We are half way through this Winter (or nearly there) and nothing to show for.

• Snow 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Models are meeting in the middle.  The low isn't up in Canada and it's not in Iowa, but in between.  It's a pretty intense upper low they are all showing.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I'm not going to lie, this pattern change is wearing down my patience. Getting tired of waiting, but I'm still holding. Pacific has been stealing the show for a few weeks now. I still believe the BSR is applicable, but then there's that much going on up there, models will struggle.

Not sure how our ongoing SSW ranks on all time list, but it's a really extreme one. Looking longer range the ensembles do show the cold filling in to Canada, so a trend has started. That's positive to see.

• Like 2

BREAKING NEWS: It finally snowed ... in southeast Texas and Louisiana LOL! So wishcasting for a pattern change weeks ago was somewhat correct — just a bit outside on the region though 😆

Already Jan. 10. Winter is going FAST. Time to start thinking spring! Baseball and boating is right around the corner and I, for one, couldn’t be more excited. Maybe I can start doing some wishcasting for warm weather in March — there has to be a model showing it somewhere, right? I am calling it now: signs pointing to an EPIC repeat of March 2012. 80-degree temps, sunshine and NO SNOW all throughout the month. 

Think spring, boys. It’s the only shot you winter nuts have at keeping your sanity at this point 😆

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Troll 4

Friday marks the halfway point of meteorological winter. Now I am sure we will get snow in the 2nd half of meteorological winter and it could snow well into March and even April. But that said the 1st half of this winter has been one for the record books for how mild it has been and the lack of snow fall. The one issue is with the lakes still wind open and now midwinter one has to be concerned for any cold and how much lake effect that could bring. At this time it is 29 here with cloudy skies. I had to go to the south side of town yesterday and boy there is a lot less snow on the ground on the south side then here where I live.

Some people just get way too caught up in this. It might snow, it might not. It it is what it is. Can't control the weather. But March 2012 was so outrageous I'd be more comfortable forecasting an epic winter than that lol. 

• Like 5

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

March 2012 is like Feb 1936- ( July of 12' was no WHERE near 36')  just in reverse. And no place in Upper Midwest has seen a switch from Feb 1936 to July 1936-- but no one either knows about it- or does- and doesn't admit it. That's when the climate was a changing folks.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

2 hours ago, snowstorm83 said:

Some people just get way too caught up in this. It might snow, it might not. It it is what it is. Can't control the weather. 

I enjoy reading the long-range forecasting discussion.  I certainly hope for exciting weather, as others do.  However, as you get older and the years really start to fly by, you will increasingly learn to accept that, ultimately, you'll get what you get.  While I've received more snow this winter than many, at this point in my life we could have a totally snowless winter and it just wouldn't bother me much.

• Like 4

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

3 hours ago, snowstorm83 said:

Some people just get way too caught up in this. It might snow, it might not. It it is what it is. Can't control the weather. But March 2012 was so outrageous I'd be more comfortable forecasting an epic winter than that lol. 

I have fond memories of that month, but then it got cold again and froze some things and the summer was way to hot and dry! Better not to have it that warm in March!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

March 2012 is like Feb 1936- ( July of 12' was no WHERE near 36')  just in reverse. And no place in Upper Midwest has seen a switch from Feb 1936 to July 1936-- but no one either knows about it- or does- and doesn't admit it. That's when the climate was a changing folks.

Just off the tip of my head without looking- but FEB 36' in DSM avg 8.6F (record coldest) - I do believe some places in ND Avg near -10F for the month YES check it out it you dont believe) only to see July of 1936 have an avg high of 99.4F in DSM- with 14 days in a row 100+ max temps. Lucky now to get ONE. (Water vapor anyone?_ Jokers now blame everything on climate change. - when it's most likely OCeans ( true heat)  in the balance. )-- and if you think humans control ocean temps, your just as sick as you think I'am-- only that 99.8% of the heat capacity of world is controlled by H20 vapor, the oceans have been warming- and effecting land mass. Bio Fuels- elec cars, whatever measures, (though maybe good for the earth) are going to effect these overall temps. They will not. Sadly- it's a solution? that's trying to be showed with facts the other way. Rant over.

• Like 6

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

15 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

I'm not going to lie, this pattern change is wearing down my patience. Getting tired of waiting, but I'm still holding. Pacific has been stealing the show for a few weeks now. I still believe the BSR is applicable, but then there's that much going on up there, models will struggle.

Not sure how our ongoing SSW ranks on all time list, but it's a really extreme one. Looking longer range the ensembles do show the cold filling in to Canada, so a trend has started. That's positive to see.

I'm Riding the Larry Cosgrove train he has been pretty accurate this far and has always supportive the mid January throught march pattern producing.In fact he is bullish on what he sees for February.

i know this may ring off deaf ears for those on climate change and all--- and I agree stats can be made to make "stats" what you think-- but here is a climate change stat with over 150 years of data that happened in the same year--- ND MAX and MIN happened in the same year-  my goodness the liberals then  like now- would have gone ape shi!-  

21px-Flag_of_North_Dakota.svg.png North Dakota 122 °F / 50 °C July 6, 1936 Steele −60 °F / −51 °C February 15, 1936 Parshall 181 °F

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Troll 1

1 hour ago, Grizzcoat said:

i know this may ring off deaf ears for those on climate change and all--- and I agree stats can be made to make "stats" what you think-- but here is a climate change stat with over 150 years of data that happened in the same year--- ND MAX and MIN happened in the same year-  my goodness the liberals then  like now- would have gone ape shi!-  

21px-Flag_of_North_Dakota.svg.png North Dakota 122 °F / 50 °C July 6, 1936 Steele −60 °F / −51 °C February 15, 1936 Parshall 181 °F

Thanks for proving once again this is a political topic.

SEMI is under a cloud cover until further notice. The extended shows cloudy skies w some precip by the weekend, (rain/snow) w colder air, but not bitter cold, "Yet."

Note: MLK Day looks to be stormy for the EC, as a potential Miller A looks possible for them.

Btw: No accumulating snow in sight for SEMI. Maybe some snowshowers by the weekend, as most of the precip will be well north of MI, but, nevertheless, snowshowers for Sat-Sun n Mon, but nothing of significance. Crazy, weird Winter.

@jaster220 Your headline reads WWA for ICE! UGHHHH...stay safe there.

@OKwx2k4 Plenty of action down south....hopefully you are using/have used your shovel/blower.

@Sparky Had a question for ya about gardening, but I cannot seem to remember what it was. I will let you know. Son of a .....🙄

Temp attm of 27F under cloudy skies.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

1 hour ago, Niko said:

SEMI is under a cloud cover until further notice. The extended shows cloudy skies w some precip by the weekend, (rain/snow) w colder air, but not bitter cold, "Yet."

Note: MLK Day looks to be stormy for the EC, as a potential Miller A looks possible for them.

Btw: No accumulating snow in sight for SEMI. Maybe some snowshowers by the weekend, as most of the precip will be well north of MI, but, nevertheless, snowshowers for Sat-Sun n Mon, but nothing of significance. Crazy, weird Winter.

@jaster220 Your headline reads WWA for ICE! UGHHHH...stay safe there bud.

@OKwx2k4 Plenty of action down south....hopefully you are using/have used your shovel/blower.

@Sparky Had a question for ya about gardening, but I cannot seem to remember what it was. I will let you know. Son of a .....🙄

I’m not a master gardener! Ha🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

You would think you would know what the difference between climate and weather is. Sad you are a victim of political propaganda aimed at your emotions.    But it’s going around these days.  

• Like 1
  • lol 1

43 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

You would think you would know what the difference between climate and weather is. Sad you are a victim of political propaganda aimed at your emotions.    But it’s going around these days.  

Are you saying today's climate in the Upper Midwest is more extreme than the 1930's? A whole decade of weather??

• Like 1

@Hawkeye Isn't there a thread for that system??

• Thanks 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

3 hours ago, Niko said:

@jaster220 Your headline reads WWA for ICE! UGHHHH...stay safe there.

LOL. Safe from what, MDOT trucks running around on dry pavement? Desperate winters demand desperate headlines. My grid calls for 20% chance of Freezing Drizzle. say WAT??

• lol 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

4 hours ago, tStacsh said:

Ugh. Wishful thinking.  More of the same as predicted.  

Not really, the pattern is turning around and maybe your "reverse psychology" will pay dividends in the end...😉 👊....so far, my calls for storm dates have all transpired to date, except for the details of where the past two systems ended up tracking, which unexpectedly tracked way to far south than I'd imagine.  With regards to the cold and teleconnections, they are all trending in our favor or flavor, whichever you prefer...

While on the topic of storms and the potential for this pattern to really fire up post 15th, over the past several days the models flipped towards a deeper -EPO.  This teleconnection along with the -PNA had me worried (and still does) as it could ruin our snow potential for those of us farther E across the Sub.  Needless to say, I'm a bit more enthusiastic with the pattern to close out the month.

With that being said, last night's Euro Weeklies have reversed course for the latter part of the month and is showing an extended and rather strong signal for a west-based Greenland Block.  This 500mb pattern is ideal for west/east tracking systems across the board and is looking more or less like a traditional La Nina type of pattern.  Big potential for plenty of winter storms to track this month and finish strong.

2.png

00z GEFS for Week 2 looking really nice...the "Nanook From the North" is coming to North America...storms will ride along the southern periphery of the extreme cold that is lurking and seeding farther South in due time. Those who don't believe the pattern change is coming are in denial.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_12.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_12.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

That's some unreal mild air -- "lows" for next WED? Where is the Arctic Air everyone is talking about? sfct.conus.png

I wouldn't worry about what a Day 9 Euro temp map is showing bc if it can be easily explained looking at the 500mb pattern.  How often have we seen the Euro (and other models) show a cut-off piece of energy dive into the 4 corners or N Mexico in the extended, then begin to correct?  The immense blocking being advertised is eye candy for one, two, we have not seen this type of blocking in years.  Expect, the unexpected, like we are seeing with the storm system we are tracking.  It's nice to see positive trends inside 5 days wrrt to tracking storm systems.

ecmwf_z500a_namer_10.png

• Like 3

Not sure I buy into the LRC some of you talk about , but here is the pattern lately in C.IA that seems to be repeating itself every 16-18 days. Dec 12th- 6.6" of snow. Dec 29th- 9.6". And now the system for this Friday 1/15-- exactly 17 days after Dec 29th.  I'am calling Feb 1st of 4-6" of snow. 😉

• Like 2

GFS starting to show where we're headed....FINALLY! I knew all that cold wasn't going to run off the EC. Hasn't happened yet in 6 months, not gonna start today. :)

@Grizzcoat May have a little LRC in it. (I don't call my process that or by a name, really) Looks just like December. Winter's back.gfs_T2ma_us_49.thumb.png.039fcaf970be865bb54edf78ddf009af.png

• Popcorn 1

While there may be freezing drizzle in places here at my house nothing. At this time it is cloudy and 31 here. Yesterdays high of 30 was the coldest high of January so far as ever day this month has been 30 or above with the warmest so far being 38. The total snow fall for the month remains at just 2.2” and for the season 7.5” That is just about 30” below average where Grand Rapids should be now. There is still a long time to go but if that 38 remains the high for the month that would be the coolest high for any January since 2009.