January 2021 Observations and Discussion

Grizzcoat

Terry Swails had a nice write up including:

The potential for Arctic air is still on the table in the 8-14 day period although models are still struggling to get a handle on just how cold and when. However, Monday's EURO ensembles produced teleconnections that strongly point towards a cold pattern.”

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

78.1"  Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage  : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow  : 40

24 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

GFS starting to show where we're headed....FINALLY! I knew all that cold wasn't going to run off the EC. Hasn't happened yet in 6 months, not gonna start today. :)

@Grizzcoat May have a little LRC in it. (I don't call my process that or by a name, really) Looks just like December. Winter's back.gfs_T2ma_us_49.thumb.png.039fcaf970be865bb54edf78ddf009af.png

Hope your ready for a huge storm around the 26th.  That part of the pattern has produced twice for Oklahoma already, share some of that with me this time lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Not really, the pattern is turning around and maybe your "reverse psychology" will pay dividends in the end...😉 👊....so far, my calls for storm dates have all transpired to date, except for the details of where the past two systems ended up tracking, which unexpectedly tracked way to far south than I'd imagine.  With regards to the cold and teleconnections, they are all trending in our favor or flavor, whichever you prefer...

While on the topic of storms and the potential for this pattern to really fire up post 15th, over the past several days the models flipped towards a deeper -EPO.  This teleconnection along with the -PNA had me worried (and still does) as it could ruin our snow potential for those of us farther E across the Sub.  Needless to say, I'm a bit more enthusiastic with the pattern to close out the month.

With that being said, last night's Euro Weeklies have reversed course for the latter part of the month and is showing an extended and rather strong signal for a west-based Greenland Block.  This 500mb pattern is ideal for west/east tracking systems across the board and is looking more or less like a traditional La Nina type of pattern.  Big potential for plenty of winter storms to track this month and finish strong.

2.png

00z GEFS for Week 2 looking really nice...the "Nanook From the North" is coming to North America...storms will ride along the southern periphery of the extreme cold that is lurking and seeding farther South in due time. Those who don't believe the pattern change is coming are in denial.

gfs-ens_z500aMean_namer_12.png

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_12.png

My whole life is reverse psychology.  It's gotta work at some point right?  

47 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

GFS starting to show where we're headed....FINALLY! I knew all that cold wasn't going to run off the EC. Hasn't happened yet in 6 months, not gonna start today. :)

@Grizzcoat May have a little LRC in it. (I don't call my process that or by a name, really) Looks just like December. Winter's back.gfs_T2ma_us_49.thumb.png.039fcaf970be865bb54edf78ddf009af.png

I just hope we score a storm here. I think I may stop model watching or something in order to make sure it happens

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, whatitdo said:

I just hope we score a storm here. I think I may stop model watching or something in order to make sure it happens

Storms are great and all, but all you need in SW MI is some shortwaves with a little moisture and cold air.   The snow can really pile up without any real storms.  Models don't pick up LES snow very well in the long range as well.  So if the pattern changes like advertised we will do well in the upcoming weeks.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stacsh said:

Storms are great and all, but all you need in SW MI is some shortwaves with a little moisture and cold air.   The snow can really pile up without any real storms.  Models don't pick up LES snow very well in the long range as well.  So if the pattern changes like advertised we will do well in the upcoming weeks.  

thats very reassuring lets gooooo!

• Snow 1

3 minutes ago, whatitdo said:

thats very reassuring lets gooooo!

I do need "storms". LES rarely works out this far from the lake shore. Clippers would be better than what's gone on so far tho. Expectations are low tbh.

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

The boring weather pattern continues.  All the snow is virtually gone, except for the random pile.  We really have had no overly cold weather either, except in October.  We are always 15 days away from a change around here, that so far, hasn't materialized.  Tweet below from NWS Hastings illustrates our warmth.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

I do need "storms". LES rarely works out this far from the lake shore. Clippers would be better than what's gone on so far tho. Expectations are low tbh.

If the jet stream forecast holds, we should end this miserably pattern and get at least some clippers or even some bigger storms by the 22nd.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stacsh said:

If the jet stream forecast holds, we should end this miserably pattern and get at least some clippers or even some bigger storms by the 22nd.  

My one single solitary hope rides with the mid-December system that could have been snow here in a colder scenario. I think it would be cycling through around that time frame. Everything else has been very scant in the qpf dept.

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

2 hours ago, Clinton said:

Hope your ready for a huge storm around the 26th.  That part of the pattern has produced twice for Oklahoma already, share some of that with me this time lol.

I hope we all get some of that next one. If it is what I think, may be more than we all want. Lol. I've been ready for this for 3 years. It's just got to tap that Gulf and it's on like donkey kong.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

My one single solitary hope rides with the mid-December system that could have been snow here in a colder scenario. I think it would be cycling through around that time frame. Everything else has been very scant in the qpf dept.

Man, I'm still full of hope for you buddy. You have been the most "whiffed" member here I think. I hate that it keeps missing you.

Also @CentralNebWeather, I'm going with a huge bust on my part on the colder than average part of my forecast. That ship sailed 40 days ago. I'm sorry about that. I had forgotten about the massive inversions in the analogs I had and those stupid warm ridging episodes over the heartland rarely ever roll so far into the next winter from summer. Has made for some dynamic extremes in other areas of the globe though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whatitdo said:

I understand that. It's why you see (or don't see, lol) me disappear sporadically now. I get a bit bummed out. I've been waiting 5 years on real winter. It takes its toll on the heart when winter forecasting is your main fun in the season.

It's going to flip. I know it is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sparky said:

I’m not a master gardener! Ha🙂

Yep..I guess ur right. Forget it then!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

Man, this pattern blows big time. My forecast is calling for cloudy skies endlessly. Thankfully, when I was in Albany, NY last week, I was able to see some snow falling. Temps were the same tho tbh w here, no big difference. Anyways, Ma Nature has to make a flip in pattern soon.

Btw: The arctic air that was supposed to be arriving has gotten deleted in my extended and why am I not surprised. Being replaced by upper 30s towards the 20th or so. Tbh , I have been here in MI, pushing  11 years now and the only true Winter I have seen was 2013-14. The rest were just normal MI Winters, if normal. I would say mild ones. There is an exception for 2019 in Jan, when the PV visited.

April 2024:

53 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Man, I'm still full of hope for you buddy. You have been the most "whiffed" member here I think. I hate that it keeps missing you.

Also @CentralNebWeather, I'm going with a huge bust on my part on the colder than average part of my forecast. That ship sailed 40 days ago. I'm sorry about that. I had forgotten about the massive inversions in the analogs I had and those stupid warm ridging episodes over the heartland rarely ever roll so far into the next winter from summer. Has made for some dynamic extremes in other areas of the globe though.

No problem.  I'm not upset with anyone, except mother nature.  😄 Just really am hoping for some arctic chill.  Seems to be something we have been lacking around here for several years.  So I guess if that is not coming, really hoping for a big storm or two, maybe 1 good blizzard, as usually February, March and April seem to be our months anymore for winter.

2 hours ago, Niko said:

Man, this pattern blows big time. My forecast is calling for cloudy skies endlessly. Thankfully, when I was in Albany, NY last week, I was able to see some snow falling. Temps were the same tho tbh w here, no big difference. Anyways, Ma Nature has to make a flip in pattern soon.

Btw: The arctic air that was supposed to be arriving has gotten deleted in my extended and why am I not surprised. Being replaced by upper 30s towards the 20th or so. Tbh , I have been here in MI, pushing  11 years now and the only true Winter I have seen was 2013-14. The rest were just normal MI Winters, if normal. I would say mild ones. There is an exception for 2019 in Jan, when the PV visited.

It's always there at the end of the GFS long range.  ALWAYS.  It gets pushed back over and over and over.  I'm staying optimistic though!.  It has to at least be in the 20's for the day at some point this winter.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stacsh said:

It's always there at the end of the GFS long range.  ALWAYS.  It gets pushed back over and over and over.  I'm staying optimistic though!.  It has to at least be in the 20's for the day at some point this winter.  

Me as well, but the bad news is that the Euro weeklies are advertising a mild February. Not too sure what to think of that.

April 2024:

Sunny, light breeze, and already 53 degrees today. Should hit 50+ again tomorrow before it cools back down to normal or just below.

4.9 degrees above normal for November.

4.5 degrees above normal for December.

5.4 degrees above normal so far this month.

I think the extreme winter bias on a site of winter weather fans has shown itself once again this year. 

• Sun 1

48 minutes ago, Niko said:

Me as well, but the bad news is that the Euro weeklies are advertising a mild February. Not too sure what to think of that.

saw that too - would effectively be the nail in the coffin for this winter if it comes to fruition in terms of being one of the least snowiest on record for west michigan. What might save you from that fate is the slightly above snowfall you received on the front end this winter if im not mistaken

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, whatitdo said:

saw that too - would effectively be the nail in the coffin for this winter if it comes to fruition in terms of being one of the least snowiest on record for west michigan. What might save you from that fate is the slightly above snowfall you received on the front end this winter if im not mistaken

Your 100% right. Thank goodness for that extra bonus snow I received, otherwise I would have been sitting at 0" as of now.

Tbh, time is running out. We are approaching mid January w/ end results so far being very poor, in terms of snow and cold "BN" that is and the other half isn't looking too promising as well. I have noticed everything getting pushed back. The change was dated for mid January irrc, but that aint happening. We have a CF coming by weeks end, but that is not doing anything, just cold and blustery w snowshowers.

What are yr thoughts?

April 2024:

The BEST winter ever continues! I LOVE it! Hardly any snow, cold or wind at all; though I could do without the lake effect clouds. Sunshine is good for the soul!

No amount of back-loading will make up for the wishcasting failures that called for an EPIC winter with comps to some of the most HISTORIC on record. I can’t stop laughing reading the first posts in this thread. Don’t quit your day jobs, folks!

That said, I fully expect this pattern to flip at some point and lead to a miserable late-winter when I am expecting to see some signs of SPRING. Seems that has been the norm the past few years — you winter nuts don’t get the cold at the right time to do the most damage and destruction possible and I don’t get to start thinking about taking the boat out of storage until Memorial Day. 

Think spring, boys!

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:14 PM, Stacsh said:

So many different factors.  All translate to  nothing on their own.  We may get winter yet, but I have 1 out of the next 10 days forecasted to be below freezing, let alone below average.  Forecast Temps are increasing as we head into January to near 40 next week.  ZERO and I mean ZERO sign of arctic or even cold air intruding into the continental United States any time soon.   The only good sign for me if we do get some arctic intrusions, the lakes will be WIDE open and ready to roll.  

I hate being right 2 weeks ago.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Madtown said:

Ah yes let's all get on the bandwagon of censorship. I come here for weather not this trash. Silence all opposition, then your right. Anyways pattern change coming?

This is science and weather is science and data.  I’m not arguing either way but people seem to argue facts with no evidence these days.   No one is silencing anyone.  Just calling out baseless opinions.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tStacsh said:

This is science and weather is science and data.  I’m not arguing either way but people seem to argue facts with no evidence these days.   No one is silencing anyone.  Just calling out baseless opinions.  

I suppose its a great January observation😉 Just laying the groundwork. Love how once everything is "fact" in the global warming convo it never can be revisited and those that suggest it should be are crazy because it's "fact". Enjoy your evening. I'll  keep watching the next model I mean "fact" runs for the pattern change coming. Hasn't been wrong yet, just keeps changing😉

• lol 1

44 minutes ago, Madtown said:

I suppose its a great January observation😉 Just laying the groundwork. Love how once everything is "fact" in the global warming convo it never can be revisited and those that suggest it should be are crazy because it's "fact". Enjoy your evening. I'll  keep watching the next model I mean "fact" runs for the pattern change coming. Hasn't been wrong yet, just keeps changing😉

We truly live in oppression.🙄🙄Censorship everywhere! If I want to go on Twitter and call for the murder of politicians and incitement of violence, I have the right to!!

You missed his point. He’s saying any person off the street is claiming climate change is a lie bc.... that’s what they want to believe, despite all the evidence and scientific agreement otherwise, and they never provide what they call PROOF. Kind of like the whole election fraud thing.....

Even better, the reason it’s fake is not bc science says otherwise, but bc it’s all a Chinese hoax in collaboration with all the world’s scientists and their actual peer reviewed articles, to get rich or whatever you all claim. Yeah totally not crazy.🙄

Someone else said it’s just the oceans as if the actual scientific community wouldn’t have thought of that possibility.

• Like 1
  • Windy 1
  • Weenie 1

14 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Appreciate the sentiment amigo! And it really means something coming from the most shafted member of our Sub. Snowfall wise, this has acted a lot like a strong Nino (minus the early winter snows up til Christmas). Nino's normally chuck us a bone towards the spring equinox. Might happen with this odd winter too. Who really knows?

• Like 1

Trends are our friends???  It's about time the models all hone in on the long awaited, favorable...pattern change...yes, while some seem to disagree...I beg to differ.  You want action???  The forthcoming pattern is heading towards an action packed 2nd half rally in January.  I'm convinced it will be loaded with systems as the jet stream aligns just right coupled with an immense amount of high lat blocking...things are 'bout to get busy.  

Once we get passed this weeks storm system, a hyper active wave train begins to evolve as the PAC jet sets up right through our Sub Forum.  SW Flow anyone???  This could very well be the beginning of this seasons "back-loaded" pattern.  Some of the top analogs suggest this idea and the models are now seeing this potential.  Do they have any merit??  Well, the LRC along with the BSR both have several systems on the calendar that suggest the remainder of this month will indeed be quite busy and the models are showing so.  

Can you ask for a better STJ set up???  Arctic connection + STJ = Build The Glacier

1.gif

The next large scale system on deck that is showing up in recent days will be between the 19th-22nd.  Both the EPS/GEFS and Euro Control all support a system coming out of the S Plains and heading towards the S MW/OHV.

3.png

It is conceivable that there will be systems to track every 2-4 days and with plenty of blocking across Canada, I fully anticipate west/east traversing systems.  Bowling Balls???  Sure, there is a high likelihood of this type of pattern developing.  Looking out farther, the models are backing off the unfavorable MJO phases in the extended.  The Euro is showing that by months end we could be in Phase 7 or 8.  

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

During the month of Jan, here are the temp composites...while Phase 7 is very warm in the East (which aligns well with the -PNA that is developing during this period) the stout west-based Greenland Block will influence this pattern across the east and seed cold enough air into this region to support snow.

MJO Temperature Composites and Significance for December - February period

00z EPS is trending very wintry...there are several opportunities for big hits in this pattern and what is setting up shop truly does support this to happen.

4.png

• Like 3

Modeling going pretty crazy right now. Going to be fun to see all the outcomes over the next few days. 

I'd watch trends and don't get too hung on one solution right now. One thing that's sure, somewhere from my backyard to the SE is getting ready to see a huge uptick in precipitation. 

Like @jaster220pointed out. Looking like a Nino for a bit until the flip and, as I hoped, the Gulf is open for business. 

The bad news is, someone's getting a ton of rain. By a ton, I mean like 10 inches. Glad it won't be me. Lol. As of right now though, GFS has it anywhere from Louisiana to West Virginia. Lol. 

Talk about consistent. 🤪

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MIKEKC said:

Thanks for the update, Tom. 

Lets hope KC can get into some cold and snow  very soon. 

Go Chiefs!

Man, I like the Chiefs because of Andy Reid and his character, but they have to be playing Baker Mayfield, and well, as an Okie first and foremost, you know where I'm going to choose. They could have throttled Pittsburgh but I think they backed off out of respect, honestly. I hate that so much. (My team for life, regardless, has always been the Steelers and always will be.) Would be cool to see some snow and cold get in there and mix it up.

If you can't tell, playoffs has me in a moral quandary this year. Bad. I've never had so many of the teams I like right at the top. It's usually a bit easier on my heart. 😆🤣

Anyway, enough football, let it snow!!

• Like 1
  • lol 1

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Trends are our friends???  It's about time the models all hone in on the long awaited, favorable...pattern change...yes, while some seem to disagree...I beg to differ.  You want action???  The forthcoming pattern is heading towards an action packed 2nd half rally in January.  I'm convinced it will be loaded with systems as the jet stream aligns just right coupled with an immense amount of high lat blocking...things are 'bout to get busy.  

Once we get passed this weeks storm system, a hyper active wave train begins to evolve as the PAC jet sets up right through our Sub Forum.  SW Flow anyone???  This could very well be the beginning of this seasons "back-loaded" pattern.  Some of the top analogs suggest this idea and the models are now seeing this potential.  Do they have any merit??  Well, the LRC along with the BSR both have several systems on the calendar that suggest the remainder of this month will indeed be quite busy and the models are showing so.  

Can you ask for a better STJ set up???  Arctic connection + STJ = Build The Glacier

1.gif

The next large scale system on deck that is showing up in recent days will be between the 19th-22nd.  Both the EPS/GEFS and Euro Control all support a system coming out of the S Plains and heading towards the S MW/OHV.

3.png

It is conceivable that there will be systems to track every 2-4 days and with plenty of blocking across Canada, I fully anticipate west/east traversing systems.  Bowling Balls???  Sure, there is a high likelihood of this type of pattern developing.  Looking out farther, the models are backing off the unfavorable MJO phases in the extended.  The Euro is showing that by months end we could be in Phase 7 or 8.  

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ECMF_phase_51m_small.gif

During the month of Jan, here are the temp composites...while Phase 7 is very warm in the East (which aligns well with the -PNA that is developing during this period) the stout west-based Greenland Block will influence this pattern across the east and seed cold enough air into this region to support snow.

MJO Temperature Composites and Significance for December - February period

00z EPS is trending very wintry...there are several opportunities for big hits in this pattern and what is setting up shop truly does support this to happen.

4.png

looking good hope it holds!

13 hours ago, Madtown said:

Ah yes let's all get on the bandwagon of censorship. I come here for weather not this trash. Silence all opposition, then your right. Anyways pattern change coming?

Saying fishel's post was "trash" and getting all worked up about censorship/silencing opposition is an overly defensive take. He's clearly talking about backing up what people are saying with facts. I think any reasonable level headed person, including everyone on this board, can appreciate that. Could he have been nicer...sure. But that doesn't take away from the valid points he's making.

Maybe i've missed something but idk why people get so guilt laden over this topic as if not the vast vast majority of meteorologists and atmospheric scientists agree global warming/climate change is real. On that note I think we should have a climate change thread or something instead of clogging stuff up in here

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whatitdo said:

Saying fishel's post was "trash" and getting all worked up about censorship/silencing opposition is an overly defensive take. He's clearly talking about backing up what people are saying with facts. I think any reasonable level headed person, including everyone on this board, can appreciate that. Could he have been nicer...sure. But that doesn't take away from the valid points he's making.

Maybe i've missed something but idk why people get so guilt laden over this topic as if not the vast vast majority of meteorologists and atmospheric scientists agree global warming/climate change is real. On that note I think we should have a climate change thread or something instead of clogging stuff up in here

whatitdo-

I will respond once to this thread and that will be it. First off- not a degreeed MET, but i have been pretty much grandfathered in with my job as one and work with several. Most MET's actually agree with Climate Change, but how is the question. Most MET's DO disagree with AGW (man made to the extent it's shown in the media) but will revert to "I agree" or they suffer "set backs' in their career. Trust me. Seen it happen many times on the broadcast MET front with many tv people let go because of their beliefs agst full out AGW. If you want a list- I can provide it. Many i know personally.  I could go on and on and on about many data points that point to a natural variation in climate being induced as AGW- one is urban heat island, but I know - that of course gets thrown out. I understand why- but no way is DSM IA going to break the all time min of -30F set on JAN 5th 1884 when official measurements were taken in river valley. If  FEB 1996 didn't break it(-26F) at the Airport - with all time record lows set in MN,IA,WI (-47F in IA) nothing will. My point before I leave is that it's not apples to apples when you compare temperatures from even 30 years ago.   Enjoy you day- but this is the last post I will have this topic in this thread. Peace out.

• Like 6

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.