January 2021 Observations and Discussion

Grizzcoat

17 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The Euro has the final slug of good energy slowly traversing the region late in the period.  Alas, after dumping big time on NE into central IA, this energy also hits the blocking over the lakes and gets squashed southeastward.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

Grrrr.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Boy, that GFS is quite toasty for KC the rest of the month. It actually has 60's and 70's showing up in the Plains first part of Feb. Our soil temps are well above average for this time of year. Cool season weeds are germinating in "warm" mulch beds

I have only dropped below 20 degrees 4 times since Dec. 1st. WOW! ZERO morning lows below 25 on the latest GFS run. I don't believe I have seen any ice on the ponds and lakes this winter.

Hopefully we see a major data flip or spring will be very early this year. 

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

I was not able to see it, but it seems a cell of at least moderate snow just moved through Cedar Rapids and whitened up the surface.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Following the burst of snow, strong wind has arrived.  Even the little bit of snow was really blowing around.

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

54 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

12Z GFS has LOWS in the upper 50s in Nebraska on 2/3

so does the 18Z. The call for Arctic charge is looking very bleak.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

8 hours ago, jaster220 said:

@whatitdo

Congrats on joining the WWA party. Should be a good time this evening.

.UPDATE...
Issued at 1002 AM EST Tue Jan 19 2021

We added Kalamazoo County to the advisory. With the likelihood of
the snow to impact the intersection of I 94 and US 131 we went
ahead and included this county in the advisory. The morning
guidance that is coming shows a several inches of snow possible
for the Kalamazoo region as well.

Unfortunately havent seen much yet bc kzoo is in a hole between 2 rather heavy bands. Should see some of it soon. Need to. 

• Like 1

Moderate snow attm, w everything snow covered. Tbh, I did not expect this to be this far north. The majority of this should remain south of my area, but then again, who knows. Temp at 29F.

Special Weather Statement

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Detroit/Pontiac MI
819 PM EST Tue Jan 19 2021

MIZ063-068>070-075-076-082-083-200430-
St. Clair-Livingston-Oakland-Macomb-Washtenaw-Wayne-Lenawee-
Monroe-
Including the cities of Port Huron, Howell, Pontiac, Warren,
Ann Arbor, Detroit, Adrian, and Monroe
819 PM EST Tue Jan 19 2021

...POTENTIAL FOR SLICK CONDITIONS TO DEVELOP OVERNIGHT AS SNOW
EXPANDS ACROSS THE AREA.

WEATHER...

* Widespread area of light snow will continue to lift across the
   area early tonight. The potential exists for brief bursts of
   heavier snow during this time, resulting in a quick
   accumulation on area roadways and rapid reduction of
   visibility.

* Air temperatures will range between 28 and 32 degrees.

IMPACTS...

* Accumulating snow may lead to slippery roads particularly on
   bridges, exit ramps and overpasses.

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I'm about to be underneath a sweet looking heavy band with this last pivot of snow.  Might be the best snowfall rates of the season.  It looks beautiful outside right now with the fresh powder.  After stuffing myself at dinner from a feast, I'm going to head outside and burn off some of this food and soak it all in.  Gotta take what mother nature gives ya!

1.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I'm about to be underneath a sweet looking heavy band with this last pivot of snow.  Might be the best snowfall rates of the season.  It looks beautiful outside right now with the fresh powder.  After stuffing myself at dinner from a feast, I'm going to head outside and burn off some of this food and soak it all in.  Gotta take what mother nature gives ya!

1.gif

Gorgeous snowfall!  Has that lake effect snow look to it.  Absolute rippage right now on the back end of this intense band.  Very impressive...rates gotta be 1.5”+ per hour.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Holy smoke!  I thought it was bad just 5 min ago, it’s insane now!  It looks like sheets of snow falling from the sky.  Like a heavy thunderstorm in the summer.  Omg,  whiteout!  There are millions of people in the direct line of this band heading for Chicagoland.  Hopefully it doesn’t loose its punch.  I’d like to see videos of this in the city skylines.

• Like 4
  • Snow 2

All out snowstorm occurring now w over an inch and approaching 2" w temps in the 20s. Couple of inches now forecasted for my vicinity. I am stunned by this. Rates are moderately intense. This was forecasted to be south of my area.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

April 2024:

00z GFS... weekend wave

The GFS has sharpened the northern stream wave quite a bit just since the 12z run.  The Euro was pretty flat this morning and much weaker with the snow.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Downvote 1

Canadian hits the w/sw part of the subforum with wave 2 before suppressing and shooting it eastward, then the w/sw also gets some snow from wave 3, but then the wave dies as it crosses Iowa.  The blocking is too strong.

Looks like the main band of snow situated over my area. Sweet! 😀

Seems like I will be adding some snow in the dept soon....finally!

Btw: Just by eyeballing, I am seeing roughly between 2 to 3" have fallen so far in mby. Wow...what a nice surprise this is. Also, w cold air remaining in place, this snow aint going nowhere.

• Like 3

April 2024:

@Tom, @Grizzcoat, @someweatherdude, @jaster220 and anyone else I forget (there are probably 4 more of you, at least) who make the board what it is. Just keep doing what you do. Forget the haters. We tried, and I'm actually glad that some of you to my north aren't sitting under the great NW flow shaftola today like we would have been under anomalous PV and what EVERY RELEVANT SIGN AVAILABLE showed us long range guys. If you "Critics" (to put it politely) could go back to August/September boards where Tom and I were studying and get closer, please teach us how. I'm all ears. The rarity of events on the other side of our hemisphere is off the rails in terms of history, so quite frankly, get a life and look around every once in awhile. It took literal <1% events over there to shank our predictions so shove off.

You guys have fun up there. I'm legitimately happy for you great guys and beautiful and kind ladies up north around Chicago who are having a blast right now. With all my heart. I know you all miss the snow when it's gone every bit as bad as I do. Keep sharing the pictures, too. I love them. I get to, at least, live vicariously through them for a minute or 2.

Snow and dynamic winter storms will come back my way. Gulf-loaded power punches and I-40 specials will return. If TX and OKC can beat me 2 years in a row, it will come back my way again. If I've brought my winter blues here, I'm sorry for that. I love snow too, ya know. I just can't help it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • lol 1

The Euro is still quite weak with the weekend wave.  It looks like it's in a great position to lift good wave 2 snow up across Iowa, but then suddenly kicks it all eastward.