January 2021 Observations and Discussion

Grizzcoat

Jim Flowers just put out a great video on the potential for a storm next Thursday. Gives what has to happen for the storm to develop, and what might hinder it. Fascinating stuff. I highly encourage it for meteorology lessons. I have a lot of respect for his skills. He called this last storm days before and was spot on with amounts. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mlgamer said:

Got a dusting here last night and it is still on the ground. SO....with another 1-2" forecast for tonight, I'm gonna say I'll get to enjoy a poor man's version of snow on snow for the first time in awhile. You just have to take what they give you...🥴

We have to take what we can get lol. Good luck tonight I have flurries starting to fall here so maybe that's a good sign.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clinton said:

We have to take what we can get lol. Good luck tonight I have flurries starting to fall here so maybe that's a good sign.

Yep...good luck Clinton! We might be back in the rain soon, so hopefully we can enjoy this...even though most of it will fall during the night here...still not complaining tho...lol

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

1 hour ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Jim Flowers just put out a great video on the potential for a storm next Thursday. Gives what has to happen for the storm to develop, and what might hinder it. Fascinating stuff. I highly encourage it for meteorology lessons. I have a lot of respect for his skills. He called this last storm days before and was spot on with amounts. 

Good video. I only know about Jim from this forum, but I really like his enthusiasm and insights. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Feb 4/5 system take a similar track as this last one....which would mean another rainer for me...yuck.

• Like 1

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

6 minutes ago, mlgamer said:

Good video. I only know about Jim from this forum, but I really like his enthusiasm and insights. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Feb 4/5 system take a similar track as this last one....which would mean another rainer for me...yuck.

I like his genuine attitude and humor. You can tell he loves talking weather. 

• Like 2

Seems like cloud cover will likely limit low temps here tomorrow night. Kind of unfortunate bc I was excited to see what kind of ridiculous number KLNK would end up with. It would likely clock in around -15 there with calm winds and clear skies. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

3 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

What's the snow depth? Nothing worst than bare ground and one of those as you know from your days in Lincoln! 

Oof dont remind me. Even in the snowy winter of 18-19, the -30 wind chills late in the month occurred with very little snow OTG.

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

35 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Here’s a link to Jim’s video and early take on next week’s system 

https://fb.watch/3gDd2tFCdG/

First I've ever watched him. I like him  after just one video and following on F-Book. Thanks for sharing.!!!

• Like 3

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

1 hour ago, gabel23 said:

What's the snow depth? Nothing worst than bare ground and one of those as you know from your days in Lincoln! 

Way below where it should be this time of year. Ranges from 2-5" depending on where you're standing.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

2 hours ago, Grizzcoat said:

First I've ever watched him. I like him  after just one video and following on F-Book. Thanks for sharing.!!!

He did great on this last storm. Only ended up being slightly conservative on amounts. He has great insight and does old school weather. If only I could get my old man to do it. He learned old school but only watches models anymore.

NWS Hastings morning disco:  

“peeking slightly beyond our official forecast, it`s at least worth a brief-but-cautionary mention that both the ECMWF/GFS both bring the POTENTIAL for another strong system into our area around the next Wed-Thurs time frame, and particularly the ECMWF is making very-early suggestions that significant snow/strong winds cannot be ruled out.”

44 minutes ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Our school just called a 10 am start. Maintenance needs the extra time to clear the latest snow. If you look at next weeks Euro, could be another big storm in the Central Plains. @Tomyou we’re correct, winter would come with a vengeance. 

I’m glad to hear your benefitting from this pattern.  It wasn’t looking pretty for your area not long ago, but nature has decided to turn the corner.  The LR signals keep the storm track in the vicinity of the Plains/MW into early Feb.  Nature should keep on giving.

I know I got criticized for my LR calls and I took the heat.  In the end, some of the key storm systems did verify and more are yet to come.  It tickles me with excitement. Some people on here will be digging tunnels in the coming weeks.  I do believe those of us farther east who have missed out will eventually see more action. 

• Like 2

Attm, it's 16F w some glorious sunshine and a magnificent snowcover.  This is what January should look like.  😀

• Like 3

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

2 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

NWS Hastings morning disco:  

“peeking slightly beyond our official forecast, it`s at least worth a brief-but-cautionary mention that both the ECMWF/GFS both bring the POTENTIAL for another strong system into our area around the next Wed-Thurs time frame, and particularly the ECMWF is making very-early suggestions that significant snow/strong winds cannot be ruled out.”

They also mentioned this, man this is funny! 

However, this is just the kind of
"gloom and doom"/way-out-in-time computer model forecast that
could start appearing on any number of non- professional weather
social media posts around this time, so just a friendly reminder
to avoid buying into possible unwarranted hype for anything beyond
a week away, and stick to trusted professional weather sources.
Okay, off the soap box now.
  • Like 1
  • lol 4

2 hours ago, CentralNebWeather said:

Our school just called a 10 am start. Maintenance needs the extra time to clear the latest snow. If you look at next weeks Euro, could be another big storm in the Central Plains. @Tomyou we’re correct, winter would come with a vengeance. 

The hits just keep on coming. Only picked up about an additional half inch to an inch of snow in Omaha this morning, but it caused a lot of problems for the morning commute - very slow going out there. 

It is absolutely crazy to think that in this relatively warm winter pattern that we are in "bonus time" when it comes to snowfall, as we have surpassed our seasonal average of 28" (currently sitting at 29.9" for the season). 

• Like 3
  • Snow 2

33 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

They also mentioned this, man this is funny! 

However, this is just the kind of
"gloom and doom"/way-out-in-time computer model forecast that
could start appearing on any number of non- professional weather
social media posts around this time, so just a friendly reminder
to avoid buying into possible unwarranted hype for anything beyond
a week away, and stick to trusted professional weather sources.
Okay, off the soap box now.

I didn't post this, but I find it interesting they don't want us doing other research.  I could tell them that there are guys on here that I trust more than some of the NWS Meteorologists at Hastings.  How bout they let us make up our own mind.  My goodness.

• Like 6
  • lol 1

I've said it before, but this is my type of winter. We're running 6 degrees above average this month after being 5 degrees above average in November and December. And we've hit our seasonal average for snowfall. Even crazier is that despite all the warmth, we really haven't had a system that was rain and 33 degrees. When there's been precip, it's still been all snow falling for the most part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bud2380 said:

Looks like an active pattern.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

... Guess I'd rather get missed to the West than to the East for the 8366820847th time. If anyone has been more screwed than me this winter it's been everywhere west of me.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

Currently skies are mostly sunny and temps holding at 24F.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

1 minute ago, mlgamer said:

"...so just a friendly reminder to avoid buying into possible unwarranted hype for anything beyond a week away, and stick to trusted professional weather sources."

dogewx.png

Craig hasn't been on much recently.

• Like 1
  • lol 3

28 minutes ago, FAR_Weather said:

... Guess I'd rather get missed to the West than to the East for the 8366820847th time. If anyone has been more screwed than me this winter it's been everywhere west of me.

This winter is starting to remind me of the late 90s and first half of the 00s here.  After the historic winters of 95-96 and 96-97, there was a real void of winter snow for northern minnesota and north dakota.  There were sping and fall snowstorms but nothing of note for Thanksging-Mid March, every snowstorm forecast hyped up just seemed to fizzle out or miss the region.  

• Like 1

Still a solid 14” OTG after 1/2-1” last night. I’m actually really impressed with how well the city has handled the 2nd biggest storm on record. Main roads are mostly cleared and my residential street has been plowed. Still very slick and snow covered but you can’t get stuck anymore at least. Though I’ve heard other people complain about how their neighborhood hasn’t been touched so maybe I’m one of the lucky ones. Seems like an improvement from the 2018-19 debacle at least.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE: