December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

1 minute ago, CentralNebWeather said:

With all this weather action, I saw the ends of the Raiders/Dolphins and Liberty/Coastal Carolina games. My gosh those were amazing. Can’t begin to describe them here. 

The Raiders being eliminated from the playoffs brings a smile to my face!

• lol 1

31 minutes ago, Clinton said:

0z GFS Mean

1609545600-pMMMx9fSkvk.png

1609545600-subBuHidPmQ.png

That [M]ean covers a TON of real estate!

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

Major change on the Euro from last run to this one.  Last run has a sharp trough connecting the north and south energy.  The new run sweeps the northern energy through the region, more like other models.

12z

500hv.conus.png

00z

500hv.conus.png

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I think odds are the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City area won't get much from either wave, but here is the latest Euro.  Someone could get some real nice snow if the two waves can overlap.

sn10_acc.us_mw.png

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

regardless of where the heaviest bands set up, guidance is slowly shrinking that band and reducing totals overall. Which is to be expected. 4-8" in heaviest - with isolated 9"+. James looks to be in sweet spot. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

What I'm noticing (and what has happened a couple times this season) and this will ultimately be the key for us farther east, is the separation of the N stream and S stream energy.  Based off of the latest guidance, it's now looking likely that we will be focusing in on the southern stream energy developing deep down near the gulf states and ride up into the OHV.  I believe we tracked a system as such way back in the Autumn months and were hoping to see a system like this during met Winter.  Well, here we are, it may be coming into fruition.

00z Euro...cuts a bit to far west for my liking but I'm liking the trends so far for a deep, moisture laden storm coming up from the deep south.  

1.png

@OKwx2k4, joining the party???

2.png

After looking into the 00z EPS, there is a noticeable shift SE with the 6" mean and overall snow shield across the Lower Lakes region....trend is our friend???  Also of note, it has certainly weakened the once broad based 6-12" snow mean across the Great Plains into Upper MW.

3.png

4.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Looking back in years past, I think the last time the MW/GL's tracked a large winter storm was back on Jan '99 if I'm not mistaken.  Iirc, that storm started off on NYE into New Year's Day and delivered quite the blizzard in the region.  I was a senior in H.S. back then and remember filling up my car with gas the day before the storm (the price of gas was .95/gal back then).  It would be awesome if this storm could come together and deliver something similar.

Meantime, 06z GEFS still showing a wound up S stream Lower Lakes cutter....

• Like 2
  • Snow 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

Looking back in years past, I think the last time the MW/GL's tracked a large winter storm was back on Jan '99 if I'm not mistaken.  Iirc, that storm started off on NYE into New Year's Day and delivered quite the blizzard in the region.  I was a senior in H.S. back then and remember filling up my car with gas the day before the storm (the price of gas was .95/gal back then).  It would be awesome if this storm could come together and deliver something similar.

Meantime, 06z GEFS still showing a wound up S stream Lower Lakes cutter....

This is starting to look like that crazy type of storm that jaster, you and myself were all dreaming up a few years back. Holy smokes. 

This gets some of our other friends some badly needed snow also. I hope it works out for all of us.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

This is starting to look like that crazy type of storm that jaster, you and myself were all dreaming up a few years back. Holy smokes. 

This gets some of our other friends some badly needed snow also. I hope it works out for all of us.

I'm still a bit nervous where I sit as there could still very well be a warm nose out ahead of this storm like we saw earlier on in the season.  The trends in the GEFS backing westward need to stop...I'd like to see more H.P. to the north rather than having it slide east before the storm cuts up this way.  It's like the "up tenth" time this season and in seasons past, we literally need all elements come together.  If its not one thing, it's another...so, hopefully this is the one that breaks the trend.

• Like 2

Just now, Tom said:

I'm still a bit nervous where I sit as there could still very well be a warm nose out ahead of this storm like we saw earlier on in the season.  The trends in the GEFS backing westward need to stop...I'd like to see more H.P. to the north rather than having it slide east before the storm cuts up this way.  It's like the "up tenth" time this season and in seasons past, we literally need all elements come together.  If its not one thing, it's another...so, hopefully this is the one that breaks the trend.

I'm going to throw a major caveat that cannot be ignored. Theres a growing swath of area anywhere from me to Maine that could get absolutely demolished in an ice storm.

If this becomes a jammed up, sheared out trough with long-term overrunning, we're going to have a major disaster on our hands. There's not a stacked column of cold air sitting here ready to go like the last time.

Things just got very exciting is what I'm saying.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

8 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

Yeah, those are very much more than subtle changes.

These are normal progressive changes we see with every event on models.  Always overdone at 7+ days, then days 6-5-4 , the trend shift and more reasonable qpf, day 3 mods come to a general agreement,  day 2 , make a forecast.  Same thing every storm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OKwx2k4 said:

0z Euro is perfect for me.  Best part is it snows Friday great way to kick off the weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I've noticed several of the models showing a lot of frz rain and sleet with this southern wave.  Kinda scary, the GFS V16 and the Euro, show heavy amounts of ice as well as snow.

1609545600-gHOnd8dVjdY.png

zr_acc.us_mw.png

• Thanks 1
  • Rain 1

2 minutes ago, Clinton said:

6z Euro Control dropping a lot of ice and snow.  Has a significant west shift.

1609567200-ZZPgjAW7l6A.png

That’s insane. Might need a separate thread for that system soon if trends continue. So far models have the New Years storm as far west as central KS and as Far East as central IN 

• Like 1

Just now, bud2380 said:

That’s insane. Might need a separate thread for that system soon if trends continue. So far models have the New Years storm as far west as central KS and as Far East as central IN 

Its crazy.  I think we could just extend the date on this thread to Jan 2nd since the precip never completely stops.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Clinton said:

Here are the 6z long range models for the second storm.  The Euro Control is posted above.

6z GFS V16

sn10_acc.us_c.png

The west shift needs to stop.  This is two 06z models that are now too far west.

• Like 2