December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

00z ICON has no change.  It looks just like the NAM... one county north of Cedar Rapids is the place to be.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Don't the setups with warm advection aloft and a sleet area tend to get sleet at least as far north as expected, if not more?

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

GFS still surges sleet up through eastern Iowa, even up to Waterloo/Dubuque.  The RDPS has heavy snow in southern Iowa while the GFS has rain there.

3 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

Wow. Almost a foot this run for Iowa city. 

The snow only lasts for about six hours, so I wouldn't go with more than 6".

• Like 1

Hey all! New to the forum. Pursuing a master's in meteorology at SLU-- looking forward to some great weather discussion! 

https://whatgoesonoutside.wordpress.com/2020/12/27/an-all-of-the-above-kind-of-week/

Subscribe to my blog! I blog about weather in the KC (being from there) and STL.

Really looking forward to especially tracking the end of the week storm-- not going to be much in the form of snow here in KC, but Tuesday morning does look interesting with temps being just below freezing presenting chances for snow, sleet, freezing rain, then going to all rain by the afternoon. 

Jack 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Jack_GradStudent said:

Hey all! New to the forum. Pursuing a master's in meteorology at SLU-- looking forward to some great weather discussion! 

https://whatgoesonoutside.wordpress.com/2020/12/27/an-all-of-the-above-kind-of-week/

Subscribe to my blog! I blog about weather in the KC (being from there) and STL.

Really looking forward to especially tracking the end of the week storm-- not going to be much in the form of snow here in KC, but Tuesday morning does look interesting with temps being just below freezing presenting chances for snow, sleet, freezing rain, then going to all rain by the afternoon. 

Jack 

Welcome!  I'm in the Warrensburg area and glad to have another Missouri fella on the forum.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jack_GradStudent said:

Jack 

That's cool. My co-worker who sometimes is on here (ToastedRavs)  graduated from SLU with a Met degree. Welcome to the board.

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

1 minute ago, james1976 said:

Yeah DMX fired off warnings way quicker than they said they would. Looks like a widespread 4-8" thru the CWA.

You mean watches, but I get your drift....

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

FGF is hugging & kissing the ensembles. What a pathetic Winter here.

Confidence continues to increase regarding the Colorado system
taking a more south and easterly track in its evolution Tue into
Wed. Ensemble solutions still exhibit small variability within the
solution envelope. This is also reflected by the suite of
deterministic solutions taking on a low track farther east of our
forecast area, over a Iowa/Wisconsin tract. Isentropically induced
forcing well ahead of the low pressure center looks to be the
primary snow generating mechanism over most of the area from Tue
afternoon into the night. Wind induced impacts, at least for now,
appear to be on the low side, more aligned with drifting as opposed
to blowing. Maximum wind speeds would most likely be attained over
areas after the snow has fallen, further reducing impacts to low
levels.

Snowfall amounts for our area still the main question mark, but
again would turn out the lowest from Devils Lake through the
northern Valley, with increasing amounts for southeast North Dakota
and west central Minnesota. High pressure building over us Wed will
then bring near seasonal temps our way for couple of days, followed
by a weekend warmup.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.