December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

1 minute ago, The Snowman said:

Southeast Nebraska saved from a mere 3" total by an eleventh-hour model consensus ... think my 3" call might need to be bumped up to 5"

Starting to think I'm missing out on a decent event. Looks like Lincoln should get a solid front end thump at least. I'll be slightly upset if I miss the first 5"+ storm since Feb 2019, but at least it'll still be fresh and waiting on me when I get back. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

7 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

Starting to think I'm missing out on a decent event. Looks like Lincoln should get a solid front end thump at least. I'll be slightly upset if I miss the first 5"+ storm since Feb 2019, but at least it'll still be fresh and waiting on me when I get back. 

On the plus side, long-range guidance expects a wicked trough in the Gulf of Alaska after January 4th, combined with an expansive ridge in eastern Canada which could extend into the East U.S. ... in other words, ample storm opportunities with at least some chance for our area to be impacted if that East U.S. ridging comes to fruition (which could be a lot to ask for, since that eastern Canadian ridge also extends into Greenland as a de facto -NAO)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, centralweather44 said:

Radar shows snow moved into Lincoln area but nothing hitting the ground. Dry air, typical problem with decent snows here. Dewpoint at 17. Going to take a bit to saturate. 

Looking at webcams I'm seeing flakes in southern and western parts of the city, it's coming

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

This 1st initial wave means business...nice way to start the party...

Current conditions at

Lincoln, Lincoln Municipal Airport (KLNK)

Lat: 40.83°NLon: 96.76°WElev: 1214ft.
nsn.png

Snow Freezing Fog

23°F

-5°C

Humidity 85%
Wind Speed NE 17 G 21 mph
Barometer 30.32 in (1028.1 mb)
Dewpoint 19°F (-7°C)
Visibility 0.50 mi
Wind Chill 9°F (-13°C)
Last update 29 Dec 2:54 am CST
  • Like 1

Nice write up from LOT on the possibility of extended the warnings farther SE and including the heavy snow wording...I don't recall seeing those words in an AFD in quite some time...looks like we will have some fat dendrites falling from the sky later today...

Precipitation type looks to be snow, and it appears that it could
be heavy for few hour period into early Tuesday evening. Model
forecast soundings indicate favorable conditions for heavy snow,
namely very steep mid-level lapse rates with forced ascent
becoming maximized with the dendritic growth zone. This in
combination with deep isothermal layer around -3 to -4 C from the
surface to around 700 mb also suggests the likelihood for good
aggregation and large snow flakes. With this in mind, I would not
be surprised to see some 1 to 2 inch per hour rates over far
northern IL for a period early Tuesday evening.

The main thing we will continue to monitor is if the winter storm
warning needs any adjustment south and eastward, possibly into
northwestern parts of the Chicago metro due to the possibility
for heavy snowfall rates dropping 3 to 6 inches in a matter of a
few hours.

• Like 3

It's nice to be finally tracking a system that has cold air out ahead of it.  Temps have dipped into the 10's locally (17F) along with pockets of single digits in NW IL.  Frozen ground should aid in rapid accumulations.  Snow should be falling around dinner time (5:00pm).  Looking forward to seeing the flakes fly at a rapid clip for a few hours tonight along with cold temps. 

hrrr_ref_frzn_ncus_15.png

• Like 1