December 29th - 30th Snowstorm

bud2380

Okay I am super confused. They just added Cass and Otoe counties into Winter Storm Warnings. This does not include Lancaster or Douglas/Omaha. They also included several counties in SW Iowa. They must be favoring the more southern solutions? 

OAX: for 4-7" and Wind gust over 35mph

3 minutes ago, NH4NU said:

Okay I am super confused. They just added Cass and Otoe counties into Winter Storm Warnings. This does not include Lancaster or Douglas/Omaha. They also included several counties in SW Iowa. They must be favoring the more southern solutions? 

That's weird. I thought it might be the higher potential for ice on top of snow but then the WSW is saying 4-7" vs. 3-5" for the advisory.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

2 minutes ago, NH4NU said:

My guess is that they may add us but knowing OAX probably will wait until tomorrow morning at 5 am. Lol they are terrible for that. They are probably basing it on the serf plumes, and short range models.

Just now, Stormhunter87 said:

My guess is that they may add us but knowing OAX probably will wait until tomorrow morning at 5 am. Lol they are terrible for that. They are probably basing it on the serf plumes, and short range models.

Crazy that I am agreeing with this but that is right where my mind went in that they are playing it safe... I could easily have seen Sarpy, Douglas, Saunders, and or Washington go before Cass and Otoe.. 

5 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

GFS switched back to way warm.

The para is still cold and has a nice 8-10" band through CR/IC. The op GFS is alone with it's solution of ZR/IP through hwy 20.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

6 minutes ago, East Dubzz said:

Not that it necessarily correlates to this storm, but the GFS struggled with the thermos on the last big storm, no?

Yes, it really did.  It showed 1/2" of snow for here and many locations due to poor handling of the thermal profiles in eastern Iowa and we got 4-5".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stormhunter87 said:

Yeah based on OAX forecast discussion they will be keeping Omaha metro out of the warning. They feel like the warm air will get in a win out for totals. They are basically riding gfs/nam solution.

I would too after all the busted storms similar to these in the past! 

• Like 1

This HRRR run is more realistic with snow totals.  The precip clears a bit earlier and ends with a mix, too.

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"