November 2014 Observations and Discussion

Tom

What I like about the NAO and AO is that the AO is more negative than the NAO. That signal shouldn't overwhelm the pattern with cold and push everything south and to the East Coast. 

---

I guess I'm getting used to the 20s, because it doesn't feel that bad outside right now!  :lol:

• Like 1

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

I hear crickets in here! Any updates on thanksgiving storm?

I think everyone is waiting for the 0z runs. I am.'

Was just looking at this live webcam from downtown Buffalo. Whiteout!

http://www.wgrz.com/videos/news/2014/03/02/3498599/

Mercer Island, 350 ft

Yeah GFS hardly has anything but a trough in the northeast in that timeframe. Sure doesn't look like a potential snowstorm. Oh well still have a whole winter to go through lol.

Don't sweat it just yet, GFS bias is to move storms off to the east to fast and form troughs to the east to much.

For those who have Wx Bell, JB has been indicating that a pullback is prone to happen in early December.  He's basing this prediction because of his analogs that he's using for this winter.  IMO, even though he is using the analogs of some of the big winter hitters that did have a pullback after starting out of the gate fast and furious in November ( like Nov 1976), sometimes analogs don't always play out.  Last year Wx Bell believed that winter would flip in March (bc of his analogs of 1993-94) and that didn't happen and it kept going into April.  The LRC won that battle and it kept coming.  What's to say this winter can't start early and never let go???  I think the temporary reloading period is about to happen this weekend into Monday.  This coming major storm to hit the Lakes will set the stage for another cold and stormy period leading into December.

I've been watching the Euro ensembles over the past month or so correct themselves in the shorter term when in the Day 10-15 they showed sometimes the complete opposite over and over again.  Maybe they have some merit this time around and the pattern will be tranquil as we head into December (this is what the Euro ensembles are showing now).  Something tells me that won't happen and knowing how this model has behaved in the past couple months can't be discounted.  

Another point is, the LRC will begin Cycle 2 soon and if you remember back on Oct 4th there was a PV feature near Hudson Bay and we entered a very cold period to open the month of October (esp near the Lakes) with lots of blocking....something the CFSv2 is now showing.  I'm very curious to see what happens over the next 2 weeks and who comes out on top.  I have a feeling the LRC will win again. 

I'm going to show you the GFS's models bias correction westward using the GFS Ensemble 500mb pattern from yesterday's 00z 19th run to tonight 00z 20th run.  What I want to point out is, look at the main trough's correction over eastern NAMER from yesterday to tonight's run.  The models deeper blues/greens are located just SW of Greenland 24 hours ago, now the model is seeing them just north of the Lakes and therefore the main trough is farther west.  Notice also that circular pattern just north of Hudson Bay (Polar Vortex).  Is this Cycle 2 starting to repeat itself like we saw in early October???  Hint, hint, hint...

My goodness...00z Euro back to trying to develop a Monster OV/Lower Lakes cutter...Winter 2014-15 will be remembered as the year of monster phased storms.  I knew there would be model mayhem in this range and flip flopping but when I see the Euro come back to showing this biggie, something tells me the Pattern will keep on giving.

Predicted snow cover to end November with a bang....insane amount of snow to see on a map like this and its not even meteorological Winter.  Check out the day time highs nxt Saturday being predicted...the Polar Plunge will come again.

• Like 1

My area is now under a Winter Weather Advisory for 2-4 inches of snow today. From looking at my radar, I am getting lake effect snows now from the western portion of the state and it looks like they are surviving the trip across. Yesterday, it was snowing all day on and off and received 2.8 inches and another 2-4 today.....wow. This was a surprise, for sure. Everything outside is snowcover and roads are very bad.  :D

• Like 2

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Wow, the EURO came in with a real nice storm last night! 

I guess this storm is the Black Friday and Saturday after storm!

Mercer Island, 350 ft

From LOT:

...UNPRECEDENTED EARLY SEASON FREQUENCY OF SNOWFALL...

FREQUENT SNOW HAS COMBINED WITH THE COLD TO PROVIDE A FEEL OF
WINTER ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS AND NORTHWEST INDIANA. FOR BOTH LONG
TERM CLIMATE SITES OF CHICAGO AND ROCKFORD THIS HAS BEEN IN RECORD
BREAKING TERRITORY.

CHICAGO...

AS OF NOVEMBER 19TH...CHICAGO HAD OBSERVED EIGHT CONSECUTIVE DAYS
WITH AT LEAST A TRACE OF SNOWFALL SINCE NOVEMBER 12TH. THIS WAS THE
EARLIEST STRETCH OF OVER A WEEK /EIGHT DAYS PLUS/ OF DAILY
SNOWFALL ON RECORD...WHICH HAD BEEN NOVEMBER 13TH-20TH 1937. THE
CURRENT EIGHT DAY STRETCH OF CONSECUTIVE SNOWFALL JOINS ONLY THE
1937 SPAN AND NOVEMBER 23RD-30TH 1954 AS EIGHT CONSECUTIVE DAYS
WITH SNOWFALL IN NOVEMBER.

Predicted snow cover to end November with a bang....insane amount of snow to see on a map like this and its not even meteorological Winter.  Check out the day time highs nxt Saturday being predicted...the Polar Plunge will come again.

Based off of the temperature map we could be looking at around 18/20:1 ratios which would be well over a 1' to maybe 18" of snow. I know way too early to be talking amounts but just wanted to throw that out.

Based off of the temperature map we could be looking at around 18/20:1 ratios which would be well over a 1' to maybe 18" of snow. I know way too early to be talking amounts but just wanted to throw that out.

it could snow for 3 to 4 inches per hour with thundersnow and with a 20 to 1 snow ratio means that this would be fluffy kind.

The dynamics for this to happen would have to be perfect.

Don't worry, every storm is going to be like this if you ask Tim...   There's always reference to the Groundhog's Day Blizzard. That was a once in probably 20 year event, but yet every storm that shows up on a 7 day outlook is going to have 4" snowfall rates and thundersnow ;)

• Like 1

Based off of the temperature map we could be looking at around 18/20:1 ratios which would be well over a foot of snow.

Still a LONG way off but I like our chances with this one.

Until we see model consensus then to me this is just a fantasy storm but nonetheless still fun to track and talk about.

Surprisingly, a majority of the Euro ensembles are showing some big hitters...still plenty of time to digest what will happen.

• Like 1

Case point I made last night about the Euro showing a blow torch as we head into December on yesterday's and the previous days runs for the first few days of December.  Last night's runs, the flip begins to colder.  The models bias to hang the trough near the coast (Day 10-15) has been happening over and over again.  IMO, there is too much warm water now hugging the coastline to have a trough in that area.

Check out the reversal....

This storm has potential of course, but it's still well in fantasy land. Pretty much all of the Euro ensembles are at least showing something during this time period. Still there is no use in hyping a storm that may not even come into fruition. We will see...

I always love the wishcasting on this forum by all the snow lovers here. I'm guilty of it myself. That's why I come here for the optimism and to at least get temporarily excited about the prospects of snow, until I watch it all crumble in front of me on the models. There are a few on here who are definitely the supreme optimists when it comes to snowstorms and winter weather, and please don't feel I'm saying this is a bad thing!! :)

If everything that people here "felt" was going to happen, happened across the US, we would all always be buried under 3 feet of snow and be below zero for 4 months straight!

Unfortunately in the real world, most big storms never come to fruition or they fall in the form of rain or something else happens to mess things up. Just the brutal cold reality, I guess!

That's why here in Nebraska, we only average about 26" of snow per year and I saw a stat where we only get one 5+" snowfall on average per year.

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Nebraska/Places/omaha-snowfall-totals-snow-accumulation-averages.php

Did we lose the storm for Thanksgiving already too? A couple of days ago, it was showing a storm for Thanksgiving right along I-80, and then another one a couple of days later. Now it seems like there is just the one, the days after Thanksgiving. I'm kindof glad if we don't have one on Thanksgiving as we have to travel.

Did we lose the storm for Thanksgiving already too? A couple of days ago, it was showing a storm for Thanksgiving right along I-80, and then another one a couple of days later. Now it seems like there is just the one, the days after Thanksgiving. I'm kindof glad if we don't have one on Thanksgiving as we have to travel.

It's still there.  What I believe will happen is another storm system will come off the Pacific into Oregon/Washington and then develop in the Plains like we have been seeing with systems as of late.  What happens from there is up in the air.