Some RAWS records for Oregon

wx_statman

Fremont may also have the record low for June as well.   Supposedly it was 10F on June 3 1931.  I'm not sure why that one didn't make it into the state records, but Fremont's low records for March, (now) May, and July did.  

I've wondered about that one as well. I've never looked into it though. 

It also shows 11 on June 2, 1929. Which would tie the 11 at Crater Lake from 1952. 

Personally, I don't think that the 0F at Juniper Lake on May 2 1968 is legit. The high at Juniper Lake that day supposedly was 81F.   If that is legit, it must be either the or one of the greatest diurnal temperature changes ever to occur in the country, or at least the greatest that I am aware of.

Looking at the WRCC data though, it appears that the reading may not be legit.  The WRCC data gives a record low of 25F for May 2, recorded in 1967.

If the 0F is legit, then the May record low is colder than the record low for November.   It would also make it the coldest temperature at that location recorded anytime between March 1 and December 11.  None of the other nearby weather stations have gotten even close to that cold in May either (actually none of the nearby stations have even gotten that cold in April, or even that close to 0F in April). Those stats paired with the reported high of 81F that day, would mean that it would have to be one of the most freak instances of a 0F ever recorded.  

Thanks for mentioning this...yeah I think we hatched this out in a discussion awhile back (but after this thread ended). Fremont makes sense as the May record. The Juniper Lake data comes from a COOP sheet. I've seen some diurnal spreads of 60+ degrees at a few Oregon RAWS in April/May and Sept/Oct but 80 degrees seems a bit too fantastic.

Of course the most notorious error is the reputed Oregon record high of 119 at Pendleton which was just an averaged value from various thermometers in the city. Incredibly NCDC accepts this value as official! It was definitely hot in Aug 1898 just not 119. Kennewick reached 114 that day and Walla Walla 113. The 117 value at Umatilla is thought to be the hottest accurate Oregon temp on record.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Incredibly NCDC accepts this value as official!

They seem to have done that a lot.   For years, the record high in Colorado was listed as 118F at Bennett on July 11 1888 (on some websites and sources, it is still listed as such).  

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/pub/data/special/maxtemps.pdf

Bennett is at 5500 feet elevation.   I don't know of anywhere in the world that gets that hot at such an elevation.

I've seen some diurnal spreads of 60+ degrees at a few Oregon RAWS in April/May and Sept/Oct but 80 degrees seems a bit too fantastic.

Occasionally, it does that where I live as well, usually sometime in June through October.  

They seem to have done that a lot. For years, the record high in Colorado was listed as 118F at Bennett on July 11 1888 (on some websites and sources, it is still listed as such).

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/pub/data/special/maxtemps.pdf

Bennett is at 5500 feet elevation. I don't know if anywhere in the world that gets that hot at such an elevation.

Yeah, no way that's right. Close to 110 would be the absolute max I could see it getting at this elevation.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Thanks for mentioning this...yeah I think we hatched this out in a discussion awhile back (but after this thread ended). Fremont makes sense as the May record. The Juniper Lake data comes from a COOP sheet. I've seen some diurnal spreads of 60+ degrees at a few Oregon RAWS in April/May and Sept/Oct but 80 degrees seems a bit too fantastic.

Of course the most notorious error is the reputed Oregon record high of 119 at Pendleton which was just an averaged value from various thermometers in the city. Incredibly NCDC accepts this value as official! It was definitely hot in Aug 1898 just not 119. Kennewick reached 114 that day and Walla Walla 113. The 117 value at Umatilla is thought to be the hottest accurate Oregon temp on record.

Then there's the 119 at Prineville in July 1898. Which is even more absurd. 

I remember reading that the 119 @ Pendleton was actually extrapolated from a thermo that only read to 113/114 degrees. There's no way something like that would be accepted as official today. Very likely overexposed as well, since the next highest reading in the PNW from that heat wave was 115 at Kennewick. Which is at a lower elevation than Pendleton. 

• Like 1

Yeah, no way that's right. Close to 110 would be the absolute max I could see it getting at this elevation.

NOAA's State Climate Extremes Committee (SCEC) actually took care of this one a few years ago. 

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/scec/records

A 118°F temperature that had persisted in the record books at Bennett, CO on July 11, 1888 was found to be a typographical transcription error. Area temperatures were at least 15-20 degrees cooler that date (the highest being a 105°F observation at Glenwood Springs).

The state record is now listed as 114 at Las Animas (7/1/1933) and Sedgwick (7/11/1954).

I'm not sure why the 114 at Las Animas on 6/24/2012 didn't make it onto that list. That reading was widely reported at the time and shows up @ the WRCC. 

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2133

• Like 1

90 degree temps at higher elevations are strongly correlated to 700 mb temp...probably the warmest locations at altitude in North America are on the Mexican plateau across the states of Chihuahua, Coahuila and Durango. While many Mexican stations have exposure issues/siting issues it's a safe bet that 90s are possible up to about 9,000 foot elevation (Zacatecas at 8,010' has reached 97 F). Durango at 6,170' has reached 103. Tacubaya in Mexico City has reached 93 at approx 7,500' elevation. The peak 700 mb temps lie north of Mexico City during June/July however and straddle a point from about Four Corners down into north-central Mexico. Similar peaks in highland temps can be seen in subtropical highland areas shielded from oceanic influence such as the interior of Iran/Afghanistan.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

NOAA's State Climate Extremes Committee (SCEC) actually took care of this one a few years ago. 

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/extremes/scec/records

A 118°F temperature that had persisted in the record books at Bennett, CO on July 11, 1888 was found to be a typographical transcription error. Area temperatures were at least 15-20 degrees cooler that date (the highest being a 105°F observation at Glenwood Springs).

The state record is now listed as 114 at Las Animas (7/1/1933) and Sedgwick (7/11/1954).

I'm not sure why the 114 at Las Animas on 6/24/2012 didn't make it onto that list. That reading was widely reported at the time and shows up @ the WRCC. 

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2133

Yep, and those temps make much more sense for those locations/elevations.

WRCC seems to take a long time to update things.    There was a verified 118F recorded in Utah in July 2007, but it still doesn't seem to be updated anywhere.   Maybe it was decided not to update it for some reason?  

While many Mexican stations have exposure issues/siting issues it's a safe bet that 90s are possible up to about 9,000 foot elevation (Zacatecas at 8,010' has reached 97 F). Durango at 6,170' has reached 103. Tacubaya in Mexico City has reached 93 at approx 7,500' elevation. 

The Rocky Mountain region does have occasional temperatures reaching or exceeding 100F above 6000 feet as well.   It does occasionally reach 90F at 8000 feet as well, but not much higher than that.

Even some of the larger cities such as Salt Lake City, Denver, Colorado Springs, or Cheyenne do seem to get pretty hot considering their elevations and latitude.  

90 degree temps at higher elevations are strongly correlated to 700 mb temp...probably the warmest locations at altitude in North America are on the Mexican plateau across the states of Chihuahua, Coahuila and Durango. While many Mexican stations have exposure issues/siting issues it's a safe bet that 90s are possible up to about 9,000 foot elevation (Zacatecas at 8,010' has reached 97 F). Durango at 6,170' has reached 103. Tacubaya in Mexico City has reached 93 at approx 7,500' elevation. The peak 700 mb temps lie north of Mexico City during June/July however and straddle a point from about Four Corners down into north-central Mexico. Similar peaks in highland temps can be seen in subtropical highland areas shielded from oceanic influence such as the interior of Iran/Afghanistan.

This is also the case in the interior of South Africa/Zimbabwe/Botswana. They had a record breaking heat wave last January that apparently set global benchmarks for temperatures @ elevations between 1000-1600 meters. This is from a Wunderground blog post in February about the heat wave:

Botswana set its all-time hottest record on January 7, 2016, when the mercury hit 43.8°C (110.8°F) at Maun. The old record was set just the previous day  (January 6, 2016) with 43.5°C (110.3°F) at Tsabong. The record heat in Botswana during the first week of January was part of a remarkable heat wave that affected much of southern Africa, causing at least $250 million in drought-related damages to South Africa in January. Mr. Herrera noted in an email to me that temperatures in South Africa at elevations between 1000 and 1600 meters were higher than any previous temperatures ever recorded at those altitudes anywhere in the world. The national heat records of Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, and Swaziland might all have fallen were it not for the lack of observing stations in the hottest areas. Lesotho has no weather stations that issue the standard "synoptic" weather observations every six hours anymore; Mozambique and Swaziland have closed all their stations in the hottest areas; and Namibia just closed its Noordower station, which was its hottest station. 

• Like 1

WRCC seems to take a long time to update things.    There was a verified 118F recorded in Utah in July 2007, but it still doesn't seem to be updated anywhere.   Maybe it was decided not to update it for some reason?  

I think you misread what I wrote. The WRCC actually has the 114 from Las Animas in 2012 listed. Its in there. The issue is that this reading is not reflected in the SCEC table of state records. I see no reason why it shouldn't be. A possible oversight? 

Regarding Utah, the 118 at St. George RAWS on 7/4/2007 can't be counted as official because unfortunately NCDC/NOAA doesn't consider readings from automated sensors for record purposes. 

• Like 1

I've wondered about that one as well. I've never looked into it though. 

It also shows 11 on June 2, 1929. Which would tie the 11 at Crater Lake from 1952.

I just noticed that Crater Lake also has a 10 degree reading on the books from 6/18/1954. I wonder if that reading is legit? There was a cold trough in place at the time. Gov't Camp had a record low of 30 that day and Klamath Falls saw a record low of 27 on the 16th. 

The previous mega cold wave down there had occurred in January 1847 (also an exceptionally severe cold wave here), just before the gold rush and when the territory was still officially part of Mexico, and during the Mexican American war to boot. So there weren't really any settlers there yet to have a collective memory of that event. 

There are also reports from present day San Francisco - at that time home to Mexican presidios as well as US military personnel involved in the Mexican American War - of very cold weather and frozen ponds, enough to allow ice skating. So this speaks of a similar Arctic blast to 1854 or 1888, or more recently 1972 or 1990 down there. What's interesting is that there was another big late cold wave in the 2nd week of March, around March 10th - snow and ice pellets were reported in San Francisco with a high "around 40." Also a US Naval hospital ship anchored in Monterey Bay reported snow from that event on the ship decks, as well as in town in Monterey itself, as noted by a naval surgeon on board who kept a diary of the weather. 

Yikes!  During that time period (November 1846 to February 1847), the Donner Party was stranded in the Sierra Nevada.

Yikes!  During that time period (November 1846 to February 1847), the Donner Party was stranded in the Sierra Nevada.

At least they weren't stranded on Mt. Washington :D 

• Like 2

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Regarding hot temperatures at higher elevations from earlier in this thread - check out Medina, Saudi Arabia. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina#Climate

110.7F average high in August and 108.1F in September @ 2,000 feet ASL. Various sources list the elevation of Medina between 1,995 and 2,087 feet. 

• Like 1

Regarding hot temperatures at higher elevations from earlier in this thread - check out Medina, Saudi Arabia. 

110.7F average high in August and 108.1F in September @ 2,000 feet ASL. Various sources list the elevation of Medina between 1,995 and 2,087 feet. 

Good one.   In the US, the 1981-2010 average for Hanksville Utah in July is 100.1 degrees.  The weather station is at 4460 feet.   I am guessing that this one might be the highest station in the US with an average high of more than 100 degrees for any month?  Actually, I don't know of any anywhere in the world for that elevation (though there probably are some in the Middle East)?     

• Like 1

Not terribly different than Las Vegas and areas nearby. Las Vegas is at 2000' and averages 106 high in July.

• Like 1

Good one.   In the US, the 1981-2010 average for Hanksville Utah in July is 100.1 degrees.  The weather station is at 4460 feet.   I am guessing that this one might be the highest station in the US with an average high of more than 100 degrees for any month?  Actually, I don't know of any anywhere in the world for that elevation (though there probably are some in the Middle East)?     

There are. Here's Shiraz, Iran @ 5,200 feet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiraz#Climate

100.0F average high in July. 

• Like 1

Not terribly different than Las Vegas and areas nearby. Las Vegas is at 2000' and averages 106 high in July.

Las Vegas averages a high of 103.9F in July per the 1981-2010 normals. 

To me, there is a significant difference between 110.7F and 103.9F especially when discussing monthly averages.

Las Vegas averages a high of 103.9F in July per the 1981-2010 normals. 

To me, there is a significant difference between 110.7F and 103.9F especially when discussing monthly averages.

Well, the North Las Vegas station is at 105.9 for 1990-2016: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv5705

In addition, another coop station in Vegas averaged 107.6 from 1951-1989: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv7925

I think it's safe to say there are places in that area in the 1,500-2,000' level that average July high temps in the 105-110 range.

Well, the North Las Vegas station is at 105.9 for 1990-2016: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv5705

In addition, another coop station in Vegas averaged 107.6 from 1951-1989: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv7925

I think it's safe to say there are places in that area in the 1,500-2,000' level that average July high temps in the 105-110 range.

I just don't see it. Laughlin at 558' averages 110.6F for July (1988-2016). That's quite a bit lower in elevation.

I just don't see it. Laughlin at 558' averages 110.6F for July (1988-2016). That's quite a bit lower in elevation.

Eh, Vegas is at 2,000' and locations in the city area average 106-107 in July. Really not much different than 110.

Plus, look at other locations in the region in the 1500-2000' range.

108.7 Temple Bar, AZ: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?az8516

107.8 Echo Bay, NV: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv2497

Eh, Vegas is at 2,000' and locations in the city area average 106-107 in July. Really not much different than 110.

Plus, look at other locations in the region in the 1500-2000' range.

108.7 Temple Bar, AZ: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?az8516

107.8 Echo Bay, NV: http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?nv2497

The point I was making is that Medina, Saudi Arabia is notable for averaging a maximum of 110.7F in its warmest month despite being located at 2,000 feet ASL. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I have the following records for Oregon, by month

Record Hi Max

Jan: 80 at Brookings on 28/1994

Feb: 85 at Coquille, Myrtle Point on 25/1992

Mar: 88 at Brookings on 18/1914

Apr: 98 at Cave Junction on 21/2009

May: 108 at Cave Junction on 16/2008

Jun: 113 at Pelton Dam on 23/1992

Jul: 117 at Umatilla on 27/1939 (119 at Pendleton incorrect)

Aug: 116 at Spray on 4/1961

Sept: 111 at Illahe on 3/1955

Oct: 104 at Dora on 2/1980

Nov: 88 at Brookings on 2/1929

Dec: 79 at Brookings on 11/1951

I didn't know about most of those RAWS values, so a big thanks for digging those up. Flynn Prairie near Red Mound hit 83 on Jan 15, 2014 (with a low of 67).

Record Lo Min:

Jan: -52 at Austin on 8/1937

Feb: -54 at Seneca and Ukiah on 9/1933

Mar: -30 at Fremont on 1/1922

Apr: -23 at Meacham on 1/1936

May: 0 at Juniper Lake on 2/1968

Jun: 11 at Crater Lake NP on 12/1952

Jul: 14 at Fremont on 2/1955

Aug: 13 at Seneca on 28/1937

Sep: 1 at Seneca on 1/1931

Oct: -11 at Seneca and Fort Rock on 31/2002

Nov: -32 at Ukiah on 23/1985

Dec: -53 at Riverside on 25/1924

Rec Lo Max: -21 at Austin on Jan 19, 1937

Rec Hi Min: 85 at Arlington on Jul 13, 2002

I also found a 98F for April on April 27 1926 at Grants Pass.  Maybe it isn't legitimate though?  There were some other places that had pretty high readings during that heat wave though, such as 94F at Talent and 97F at Modoc Orchard.  

(Oops, I just noticed after I posted this that you already had that one).

I'm pretty sure that Centerville reading in February 1895 is bogus. The real WA state record high for February is in the upper 70's from either 1968 or 1995. I remember looking into it but I never made a database...so I can't remember the details.

The warmest I can find for February is 78F at Glenoma on February 28 1986.   

At least three other places have hit 77F.

Packwood:  77F on February 26 1992

Startup:  77F on February 29 1968

Walla Walla WSO:  77F on February 24 1986

Since folks may be interested in WA stats here they are:

Oct: -5 at Bumping Lake on 31/1935

Republic also reached the same reading on October 31 1935.

Apr: -7 at Lake Keechelus on 1/1936

Nespelem 2S supposedly has a -12F on April 19 1924, but maybe it isn't legitimate?  It might be worth checking into this one.

Sep: 11 at Newport on 25/1934

Mount Adams Ranger station has an 11F on September 25 2000.  It might be legitimate?   There were some pretty low readings at other stations in the area during that time.  It might be worth checking into this one as well.  

Last occurrence of -40 or below in Oregon: -42 at Fremont on 12/21/1990.

Fremont was -40F on December 22 1990, so that one would be the last time, but only a day later.  

The warmest I can find for February is 78F at Glenoma on February 28 1986.   

At least three other places have hit 77F.

Packwood:  77F on February 26 1992

Startup:  77F on February 29 1968

Walla Walla WSO:  77F on February 24 1986

Yeah that appears to be the February record for WA. It was actually discussed earlier in this thread. 

I also found a 98F for April on April 27 1926 at Grants Pass.  Maybe it isn't legitimate though?  There were some other places that had pretty high readings during that heat wave though, such as 94F at Talent and 97F at Modoc Orchard.  

(Oops, I just noticed after I posted this that you already had that one).

If you read further into the thread, you'll see that we zeroed in on 99F in Echo on 4/28/1926 as the probable state record for Oregon.