January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

MossMan

The EPS mean and control run too are making slow, but certain progress with the pattern in the long range.

NPAC heights beginning to rise with more wave amplification as the jet slowly pulls back. Colder temperatures begin to develop in the US. Polar blocking continuing.

Big daddy cold pool is still over in Russia/East Asia. Going to be historic for them. But no longer is it a sea of torch in North America. A few EPS members actually have legitimate cold building on our side of the pole.

image.thumb.png.e56c1dcfac797ef133931b3aedfc93f8.pngimage.thumb.png.fe2d7631054262bee3a48a8fe61edf24.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Really nice of this Nina to feature a permanent SE US trough!  

Good thing it hasn’t. ;)

Definitely was an efficient NH torch pattern though. Until now, that is.

image.gif.d589da0434db4b6932cd82040bc0e820.gif

• Like 1

This cold season has been pretty similar to the last one it seems up to this point. Similar temp anomalies and a little wetter. No real noteable wind events last year and none really this year either. This January seems like it could end up pretty wet like last year if the models are to be trusted...maybe we can score a bit of snow before the end of the month but doesn’t seem like the first half has any real hope. Really seems like February is the new January...thought this year would break the cycle but maybe not. If we do end up with measurable snow in February this year it’ll be the 5th in a row.

• Excited 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Good thing it hasn’t. ;)

Definitely was an efficient NH torch pattern though. Until now, that is.

image.gif.d589da0434db4b6932cd82040bc0e820.gif

Watching the EPS loop... it feels permanent.

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

NWS going with 25-35 gusts here in Portland, seems a bit on the lower side.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

25 minutes ago, Phil said:

The EPS mean and control run too are making slow, but certain progress with the pattern in the long range.

NPAC heights beginning to rise with more wave amplification as the jet slowly pulls back. Colder temperatures begin to develop in the US. Polar blocking continuing.

Big daddy cold pool is still over in Russia/East Asia. Going to be historic for them. But no longer is it a sea of torch in North America. A few EPS members actually have legitimate cold building on our side of the pole.

image.thumb.png.e56c1dcfac797ef133931b3aedfc93f8.pngimage.thumb.png.fe2d7631054262bee3a48a8fe61edf24.png

Northern Canada is much less of a torch end of run than last nights EPS

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fubario said:

that's not his job

Yeah... I never post the loop of the entire run.    And did not post the entire loop in response to his question.   🙄

Its been about the same for a long time now.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

22 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Just kidding by the way shawnigan have no problem with you or Tim. 

No offence taken.  I doubt you were expecting anything tonight anyway. Tim is probably the only one with a shot at anything meaningful. 

up to 1.5” of rain today. 

2 hours ago, luvssnow_seattle said:

Hey everyone!  I have been loving the life here in Spokane WA. So glad to leave western WA (the swamp) behind. Had numerous snow since living here. Recent storm brought about 5 to 6  inches here in Spokane Valley. I will share more as winter progresses. Been very absent this year, since our move. :)

Glad you are doing well, and I think a lot of people here would be happier about the weather if they made such a move.

• Excited 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

13 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

No offence taken.  I doubt you were expecting anything tonight anyway. Tim is probably the only one with a shot at anything meaningful. 

up to 1.5” of rain today. 

I’m not even home yet, will be back from Texas on Monday morning. Nothing meaningful in the way of snow coming for atleast 2 weeks anyways. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

28 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Looks like quite the frontal system moving in tonight according to Cliff Mass. Cell phone videos would be nice.

Westport Wa. already having fun with huge waves submerging the jetty at times!  Love this web cam! 
winds gusting to 40 currently 

95170B0A-5D74-417D-B722-1F762F1419D7.jpeg

CDA994C2-68EC-4F0E-AE36-61E4400B3568.jpeg

• Excited 2

They are lucky...It’s snows in Bubbleguppyville which is underwater...But the lowlands of the PNW...Forget about it! 

2F5A2B67-FEF5-461A-8975-3391AEAB804C.jpeg

• lol 1
  • Troll 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!