January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

MossMan

26 minutes ago, Runtmc said:

Yeah, I mean pretty easy to cherry pick annoyances on this forum. For some, it might be a guy that downvotes profusely.  For others, it’s a guy who touts model volatility during a pattern change as a groundbreaking, personal discovery and then reminds everyone ad nausea that he did just that.  Or posts puppy photos.  Or aligns themselves with the most obvious possible model solutions and shows up when they verify to remind everyone that he knew better in a veiled arrogance.  It’s what makes this place great! 

WRONG, it's just me who's the problem here. ;)

3 minutes ago, Runtmc said:

Yeah, I mean pretty easy to cherry pick annoyances on this forum. For some, it might be a guy that downvotes profusely.  For others, it’s a guy who touts model volatility during a pattern change as a groundbreaking, personal discovery and then reminds everyone ad nausea that he did just that.  Or posts puppy photos.  Or aligns themselves with the most obvious possible model solutions and shows up when they verify to remind everyone that he knew better in a veiled arrogance.  It’s what makes this place great! 

Puppies are NEVER annoying!

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Jesse said:

I see. So they are just chunks of the polar vortex that exist with or without an SSW. Although of course an SSW would make them a lot more common since they destabilize the PV.

Yeah, picture them like cow utters. Tendrils that exist below the main stratospheric vortex which attach/couple to it. Following a SSW they are “untethered” and can be forced southward into the middle latitudes more easily. The TPVs contain the coldest air in the troposphere and are associated with all of the big league CONUS arctic blasts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Phil said:

Yeah, picture them like cow utters. Tendrils that exist below the main stratospheric vortex which attach/couple to it. Following a SSW they are “untethered” and can be forced southward into the middle latitudes more easily. The TPVs contain the coldest air in the troposphere and are associated with all of the big league CONUS arctic blasts. 

Utters untethered. I think I remember seeing a lot of adds for that one on VHS back in the day.

• lol 2

5 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Utters untethered. I think I remember seeing a lot of adds for that one on VHS back in the day.

Haha.

Here’s a little gif I just made of 00z GFS. Two TPVs, note how they’re wandering about in the absence of a strong PV aloft, dying and reforming, sensitive to even the slightest WAF.

image.thumb.gif.c9fff9fa1692f58963068ee3669be42d.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Haha.

Here’s a little gif I just made of 00z GFS. Two TPVs, note how they’re wandering about in the absence of a strong PV aloft, dying and reforming, sensitive to even the slightest WAF.

image.thumb.gif.c9fff9fa1692f58963068ee3669be42d.gif

Wasn't expecting it to die. 😕

• Sad 1

Was hopeful when I saw there was over 40 posts in the time that I was in the shower...What a letdown. 
Anyway it’s cloudy and 42 degrees. Yay. 

• Sad 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Was hopeful when I saw there was over 40 posts in the time that I was in the shower...What a letdown. 
Anyway it’s cloudy and 42 degrees. Yay. 

I'd feel worse if I thought it had any chance of verifying.  41 after a high of 45

• Like 1