January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

MossMan

6 minutes ago, wxmet said:

Snow to rain event 

Gotta take what we can get at this point. Have had just a trace of snowfall so far here this winter. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Gotta take what we can get at this point. Have had just a trace of snowfall so far here this winter. 

Its actually not snow to rain... its more diurnal in nature.  The air mass is not warming up overall in that time frame.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Its actually not snow to rain... its more diurnal in nature.  The air mass is not warming up overall in that time frame.

Maybe we will get lucky and get another trace of accumulation again. 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

11 minutes ago, Gummy said:

WRF GFS map is out, not buying those high snowfall totals though.

The GFS plumes mean from the noaa site show about the same totals as that Euro snowfall map.

wa_snow24_180_0000.thumb.gif.a1faed7bf6504f162f30b202220eaa6f.gif

I’m in the dark blue! 

• Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

8 minutes ago, wxmet said:

It is snow to rain. Your statement is non-sequitur. 

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Winds become southerly/925mb temps warm with the passage of the front and the airmass becomes too humid to support evaporative cooling. It's a pretty common pattern with our snow-rain "cold" fronts. 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

43 minutes ago, Gummy said:

WRF GFS map is out, not buying those high snowfall totals though.

The GFS plumes mean from the noaa site show about the same totals as that Euro snowfall map.

wa_snow24_180_0000.thumb.gif.a1faed7bf6504f162f30b202220eaa6f.gif

What is this a Hood Canal upslope special? Brinnon does phenomenal in those setups. 

2020-21 is the warmest first half of winter ever recorded at PDX. 

Despite seemingly every alphabet soup indice being against it and favoring cold, it still somehow happens. 

Honestly, even though we could still have small localized events, I’m just about ready to stick my fork in for anything big or Arctic this winter. Hope nature surprises me, but it’s not looking good for the latter. Bring on the downvotes.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

2020-21 is the warmest first half of winter ever recorded at PDX. 

Despite seemingly every alphabet soup indice being against it and favoring cold, it still somehow happens. 

Honestly, even though we could still have small localized events, I’m just about ready to stick my fork in for anything big or Arctic this winter. Hope nature surprises me, but it’s not looking good for the latter. Bring on the downvotes.

It's because of our cyclical weather.

Looks like we made it down to 41F but now back up to 45F. Pleasant and warm-ish night with some fog. 56/41 today. +7.3F on the month so far. Still ahead on rainfall which is a nice change of pace.

• Downvote 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

EPS must be a frosty turd or something. Maybe not even frosty. I don't yet see anything to suggest we see anything more than 2000-1000' snow levels perhaps dipping below that at times even though the 00z EURO suggested snow to the valley floor. IF the ridge Day 4-5 trends stronger with ridge bridge, and IF the PV lobe migrates further west/southwest the shortwave riding down the BC coast would be better connected to the bitter air mass. Maybe then we could consider legit snow chances for Portland, Seattle, etc. Onto the 6z and 12z runs today!

6z GFS in 1 hour 13 minutes

6z GEFS in 2 hours 44 minutes

12z GFS in 7 hours 13 minutes

12z GEM in 7 hours 43 minutes

12z GEFS in 8 hours 44 minutes

12z ECMWF in 9 hours 43 minutes

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DJ Droppin said:

EPS must be a frosty turd or something. Maybe not even frosty. I don't yet see anything to suggest we see anything more than 2000-1000' snow levels perhaps dipping below that at times even though the 00z EURO suggested snow to the valley floor. IF the ridge Day 4-5 trends stronger with ridge bridge, and IF the PV lobe migrates further west/southwest the shortwave riding down the BC coast would be better connected to the bitter air mass. Maybe then we could consider legit snow chances for Portland, Seattle, etc. Onto the 6z and 12z runs today!

6z GFS in 1 hour 13 minutes

6z GEFS in 2 hours 44 minutes

12z GFS in 7 hours 13 minutes

12z GEM in 7 hours 43 minutes

12z GEFS in 8 hours 44 minutes

12z ECMWF in 9 hours 43 minutes

Yeah quite nights are no fun. At least Temps stay below normal right? That's a plus

589744211_14-kmEPSGlobalNorthAmerica500hPaHeightAnom.gif

• Sad 1

195572.png?1673757432

I'm gonna try something new and maybe it'll work in our favor. So gonna stop monitor the models next couple days and hopefully comes back to see significant changes. Not saying what we're seeing is bad but it can be so much better! I feel like a mental reset is needed anyway.

• Like 3
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1