January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

MossMan

10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It would sure be something if we do pick up another wintry February.  That would make 6 solid Febs in an 11 year period....2011, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2021 (if it happens).  All of the others had either significant snow, significant cold, or both.

Amazingly we went from 1963 through 1984 (a period that had some really solid winters) without a single decent February just to emphasize how odd this is.

February 1971 had a nice regional snow event at the end and there were some other little events in there like 1980 and 1982. And BC did really well in 1975. But yeah that period was very December/January centric.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I have been randomly checking that web cam all day! 

Yeah, the last time I checked was them having a plow clearing  up the runway with a lot of snow still. Just checked again and even though it's dark, you could tell it's completely clear of snow. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cloud said:

Yeah, the last time I checked was them having a plow clearing  up the runway with a lot of snow still. Just checked again and even though it's dark, you could tell it's completely clear of snow. 

Just noticed that... right down to the pavement.   I also see snow starting to fall under the lights.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

00z NAM has a bit more more moisture tomorrow night around the Sound. Spits out 0.8" of snow for Seattle and 2-4" for Kitsap/Hood Canal.

ref1km_ptype.us_nw (4).png

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

19 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It would sure be something if we do pick up another wintry February.  That would make 6 solid Febs in an 11 year period....2011, 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2021 (if it happens).  All of the others had either significant snow, significant cold, or both.

Amazingly we went from 1963 through 1984 (a period that had some really solid winters) without a single decent February just to emphasize how odd this is.

February is our new January it would seem.

Last February almost worked out too but that stubborn vortex ruined it. 

Thankfully that shouldn't be a problem this time around because of the SSW event.

8 minutes ago, nwsnow said:

Do you find these euro maps a bit exaggerated? A lot of that precip around PDX falls with temps above freezing. 

I am not sure... sometimes it seems to overstate snow totals in very marginal situations and assumes accumulating snow with temps in the mid to upper 30s.    But it does not make this error as often when there is offshore flow and dewpoints are at or below freezing so I would feel better about what it shows tomorrow down there. 

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

NAM sticking to its guns! Keep in mind the 06z and 12z NAM runs were poo today so it has actually trended a smidge better again the last two runs. Sucks to be in Oregon City though.

Comparing the last 4 runs, the NAM definitely trended snowier overall for both WA and Oregon.

trend-nam-2021012600-f036.sn10_acc.us_nw (1).gif

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

4 minutes ago, Bryant said:

Alright Whatcom County members, we need to start bitching about the models to get some future snowy runs. Seems to work for the PDX members 😉

JK

Works wonders for Randy too! 

• Excited 1

46 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

NAM sticking to its guns! Keep in mind the 06z and 12z NAM runs were poo today so it has actually trended a smidge better again the last two runs. Sucks to be in Oregon City though.

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

Last 3 of the 3km NAM appears to be going in the wrong direction though. 

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Bryant said:

Alright Whatcom County members, we need to start bitching about the models to get some future snowy runs. Seems to work for the PDX members 😉

JK

I’ll trade you all the snowy runs in the world for an actual run of snowy weather.

• Like 3

Just now, nwsnow said:

How damning is this development to our event tomorrow?

Wouldn’t think it matters much overall but it would reduce the east slope enhancement potential.  GFS and Euro both seem more in tune with some upslope help though.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

18 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

That was from this! I put some makeup on it but is was quite an impressive cell in the middle of lots O blue sky! It was bubbling good :) 

F8DC2052-CC01-482C-AC0C-CC6918746A62.jpeg

EACA0676-3B3D-4276-85F0-507E1ACFCCDE.jpeg

Awesome picture. It completely snuck up on me this afternoon. This picture was from 430ish in Seatac

B3DC6076-82B4-4E19-863C-E739E9D15BD2.jpeg

D14DDAC3-C0F7-49D7-9431-8D6F7FD10AF9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

Yeah, coming back to reality there. Accumulations look very unlikely aside from the westside. But... will be nice to see snow in the air again, in the daytime no less!

Yeah at least snow in the air for most is probably a decent bet. I'm between Banks and HIO so will be interesting to see if I can manage a dusting or something since I'm on the west end. 

• Like 1

34F DP 30F with some sprinkles.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

12 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

It definitely looks very similar to Jan 10, 2017, just one problem.  Gorge temps are about 10-15 degrees warmer.  No way anyone outside of westside 500'+ sees much of anything IMO.  Sunset summit may be the best place to be this time.

What are the similarities???

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.