January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

MossMan

We are talking dramatic improvement on the EPS.  Wow!

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

31 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Same.

I wasn’t able to pull up the 00z models or even this forum until I switched the WiFi off on my phone a minute ago.

I am just now able to pull up anything but google with wifi, from what I have been able to find out is it's a major issue nationwide tonight, according to a buddy who works for them locally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I lived in Bartlesville, Oklahoma for several years between 2006-2010 (Lickily the one winter I was in the PNW in that span was 08-09.). It got below zero a couple of times in that period, and that was at like 37N with almost no elevation (800’). In February 2011 they hit -28, which broke the all time record of -25 from 1930. They had highs in the mid single digits during the December 1983 blast. Cold air masses and strong CAA penetrate so much further south once you get east of the Rockies. 

When I talk to many non-native PNW people they often can't believe our latitude for that very reason. Salem which sits slightly inland is approximately the same latitude as Halifax, which sits on the coastline. Yet the January mean in Halifax is colder than Salem's coldest month on record and the mean snowfall in Halifax is higher than Salem's snowiest winter on record. The Pacific is a mighty strong force...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

You don't have to go very far north of Atlanta to find much colder weather east of the Rockies. Even the latitude of Nashville or Oklahoma City regularly outperforms the PNW for cold temps. It shouldn't be hard to admit that....

Oh I know.  We do have some exceptional winters that are pretty jaw dropping though.  One example I seem to recall is that NYC has only had one month that was colder than Seattle was in Jan 1950.  We can have great duration sometimes.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

25 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Nice trends on the models...February’s going to have to be pretty decent to save this first nina winters reputation. 

It may well happen.  The first half of February is very capable of some top drawer stuff here.  Maybe we will actually have the goods in January one of these days.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

After about this time, it is not quite as good, but not bad at all.  This looks to be about the peak of the cold.

image.thumb.png.3f03ce95185d664cc1c302a9fc966402.png

Compared to a couple of days ago that is frigid.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The EPS control is very good.  The third 0z run in a row that has been the case.  Let us hope we can build on this great improvement tonight.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Oh I know.  We do have some exceptional winters that are pretty jaw dropping though.  One example I seem to recall is that NYC has only had one month that was colder than Seattle was in Jan 1950.  We can have great duration sometimes.

Hmm, that's not quite accurate. Although they've been fewer and further between recently, Central Park has had a fairly large number of months that were comparable or slightly colder temp wise to that. Most recent being their crazy cold February in 2015 at 23.95F.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ny5801

Occasionally in the distant past our duration definitely does stack up. Portland a bit more so. The 8 consecutive highs below 20 in 1909 or the 19 consecutive subfreezing highs in 1930 do stack up very well with the extremes of the big Northeast cities.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

If the parallel GFS ends up leading the way here we need to take it very seriously. Even if it’s in its infant stages. And a great outlook for our weather forecast in general. I’m rooting for it. 

I'm still rooting for the displaced PV it has shown on a few runs.  I'm thinking that might be what happened in late Jan / early Feb 1893 when we had that epic cold and snow.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

17 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Hmm, that's not quite accurate. Although they've been fewer and further between recently, Central Park has had a fairly large number of months that were comparable or slightly colder temp wise to that. Most recent being their crazy cold February in 2015 at 23.95F.

Occasionally in the distant past our duration definitely does stack up. Portland a bit more so. The 8 consecutive highs below 20 in 1909 or the 19 consecutive subfreezing highs in 1930 do stack up very well with the extremes of the big Northeast cities.

November is a month we can stack up very well also.  I could have swore the book I looked at showed that NYC only had Jan 1977 as being colder than Seattle in Jan 1950.  As you know Jan 1862 was even colder.  At any rate I hate comparing like this.  Our climate is what it is and sometimes it delivers some solid stuff.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

00z Parallel GFS was dramatically less impressive, FWIW.

Yeah.....this run had the wrong tilt.  It would be rare for every run to be great at this range.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

I saw it was down and then it just came back up... at least temporarily.

tahoe3.png

Seems like my internet is up again so just checking out the snow down there. I look for certain point of interest on the camera to give me an indication how much snow have fallen there. There are black exhausts of some sort on top of one of the buildings that I look for when the camera is at this view. I can’t even look for it now since it’s completely blocked by the snow. lol 😂 

ECF91828-E234-4402-9B13-CCF45B14B9CC.png

• Like 2

Now we just need to get the good stuff showing up inside of a week.  Another cold February would be quite feat, and we may well do it.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I didn’t get a chance look at it yet due to net issues but thank you for the heads up! I’ll take a look at it :)

The parallel had chances to be great, but it took a wrong turn after day 10.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow! The PNA goes below -3 on he EPS mean on this run.  The really interesting thing is some members and the control tank (and I mean tank) the NAO and AO as well.  That would result in the displaced PV the parallel GFS has been showing.  It could happen.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

06z OP GFS sends it east again, but the GFSv16 has a better block placement. Still lots of numbercrunching to go here.

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 hour ago, AlTahoe said:

This has all fallen since 4pm yesterday. Storm total of about 36" now. Temps were Warner than expected which limited totals. 

20210128_045337.jpg

Still looks pretty good! 

How strong have the winds been thus far?

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

7 hours ago, BLI snowman said:

How did you get to this link on WRCC?    I can only find data for the western states.   I love seeing data go back to 1869... fascinating!

Just looked through the NYC stats... one thing that stood out is how much wetter is has been over the last 20 years compared to the first hundred years of this station.    Most years have been wetter than normal since 2000.   Also... there was about 8 different months with more than 10 inches of rain in the first hundred years and already 8 months with more than 10 inches of rain since 2000.     Its also much warmer than it used to be... and the warming has been pretty steady over the last 150 years.    Some of that is likely regional UHI.   I assume NYC and the surrounding area was much more rural and wooded back in the 1800s.  

• Rain 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A band of moderate rain moving from south to north over Seattle this morning... totally dry out here and likely to stay that way through the day.    I can tell it did not even rain overnight here.     The clouds are broken right now so there will probably be some sun today as well.     

Also interesting that models once showed this band might be snow this morning.   Its currently 42 at SEA with a dewpoint of 38.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

For some context though Atlanta's coldest HIGH is 7 and Seattle's only had 2 LOWS below 6 in the last 70 years.

Our lack of extreme cold doesn't bother me though. Below about 20 degrees you reach a point of diminishing returns for me since anything below about 25 freezes everything up solid anyway and it's harder to get snow at those temps. You also run into real headaches when temps get into the single digits and below. It's a small price to pay for our lack of extreme heat in the Summer since the proximity to the Pacific is what causes both.

Yeah, extreme cold can actually decrease the chance for heavier snowfalls across much of the CONUS, though you guys being downstream from such a prolific moisture source probably stems that concern to an extent.

The super cold air masses here are usually very dry, though. Exceedingly difficult for us to score a blizzard without an active Pacific/STJ. Usually (but not always) if the SW US is scoring, then we’re scoring too. Which might happen this weekend.

21 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just a bit snowy at the Tahoe airport this morning...

tahoe4.png

tahoe5.png

And more on the way too... doesn’t seems like it’ll let up until Friday morning. That’s like 36 hours of nonstop snow from yesterday afternoon after a brief break. Definitely an AR feature. 

• Like 1