January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

MossMan

5 times I've experienced snow on December 29th. And I remember the event in the Portland Metro as I didn't come here until 2010. (12/29/2010 was a blizzard with 5-6" snow)

Pretty good rate of occurrence in the PNW climatologically. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 11
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Add it all up and here is the total snow map through next Monday afternoon per the 12Z ECMWF...

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-total_snow_10to1-2224000.png

So 7.8" at roughly where my apartment used to be but my brother may be lucky to see an inch lol (Wilsonville)

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Snowing here right now at a decent clip— hope I’ll see some flurries tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Storm 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

19 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

There is about 3 inches on top. Do you start at the gold creek staging area?

Yeah that’s where I usually start at. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

The difference between the GFS and the ECMWF is pretty noticeable at day 10... will the GFS win again?

12Z GFS on top and 12Z ECMWF on the bottom at 240 hours...

gfs_z500a_namer_41.png

ecmwf_z500a_namer_11 (1).png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The difference between the GFS and the ECMWF is pretty noticeable at day 10... will the GFS win again?

gfs_z500a_namer_41.png

King GFS!

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I still ride dirt bikes up there sometime. Have you been to the old gold mine? I live about 1 mile from there.

I’ve heard about it but never been, might have to do that Wednesday. I’ve only been up to the mountain a handful of times...last time was may 2018. Really cool spot I’ve never been there while it’s snowing. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

One positive is this cooler weather has brought down the temp anomaly to +2.3 here. Should go a little lower here in the last week of the month. 

• Like 2

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

12 minutes ago, umadbro said:

Had a light rain shower turn to a light short lived snow shower in Beaverton.

Had a few splats on the windshield from that shower, but obvious flakes never made it down to the surface in my banana belt neighborhood. Tomorrow should be my day of triumph. 

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

At this stage, I’m half-expecting my biggest snow of the season to come in April. Then it will of course all melt the following day, because April.

March perhaps, but April is hardly even a contributor for winter at my place. I know the cascades can certainly still make up in April.

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

At this stage, I’m half-expecting my biggest snow of the season to come in April. Then it will of course all melt the following day, because April.

I remember playing baseball games in March snowstorms before. Gotta say, it was hard to see the ball. 

25 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

gfs_z500a_namer_41.png

The 12Z EPS has weighed in now and agrees with the operational ECMWF at 240 hours...

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2440000.png

• Angry 1
  • scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, Timmy_Supercell said:

March perhaps, but April is hardly even a contributor for winter at my place. I know the cascades can certainly still make up in April.

I believe Seattle has recorded snow as late as April 18th. In 1976, KBLI recorded 3" of snow in April. What I forecast could happen.

• Popcorn 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

I remember playing baseball games in March snowstorms before. Gotta say, it was hard to see the ball. 

I remember a JV game up in Stanwood my sophomore year. It had been partly cloudy, mid-thirties all game. I came in to pitch probably in the fifth or sixth and it started flurrying a little. 

Tough to pitch with snow flying in your face and frigid hands!

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

7 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I believe Seattle has recorded snow as late as April 18th. In 1976, KBLI recorded 3" of snow in April. What I forecast could happen.

I've had snow in April before, never seen more than 3-4" though.

I had 15.2" in March 2012, and 9.0" in March 2019. Those amounts in mid-Spring get near impossible.

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

I think it was in 1977 or 1978 in the mountains of New Mexico (where I was living at the time) that basically the whole winter elapsed without a snowfall in excess of 3". Then on May 2nd, 8-12" fell. It is this memory that prompted me to make my semi-serious forecast about April snow.

And yes, everything that fell on the 2nd was gone by sundown on the 3rd.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Weenie 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I think it was in 1977 or 1978 in the mountains of New Mexico (where I was living at the time) that basically the whole winter elapsed without a snowfall in excess of 3". Then on May 2nd, 8-12" fell. It is this memory that prompted me to make my semi-serious forecast about April snow.

The 6.2" I had on 03/10/2019 closed Klamath County Schools, and by late afternoon only mere patches on grass were left of that. It happens a lot here 🤪

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"

3/26, 

3 minutes ago, Acer said:

A very Tim like post!  Welcome back.

Tim is on it today!! Even posting temp output maps showing everyone in the 40’s for as far as the eye can see!!! 

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

With today’s negative trends I might have to jump off board again. That and Tom Brady in yet another super bowl...This season is going to crap quickly. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

When I lived in Lake Stevens, I remember a day in June where the PSCZ was so persistent it dragged some snowflakes down mixing with the rain to where it was almost all snow briefly.  Probably back in the mid to late 2000's.  It probably happens more than we know, I mean who is watching the heavy rain in June hoping to see snowflakes?  Just a weirdo like myself.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Tim is on it today!! Even posting temp output maps showing everyone in the 40’s for as far as the eye can see!!! 

Just one day.  And I posted lots of snow maps for the Oregon folks too.   You take the good, you take the bad, you take em both and there you have the facts of life!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

With today’s negative trends I might have to jump off board again. That and Tom Brady in yet another super bowl...This season is going to crap quickly. 

Yesterday's 18Z had me stepping on the gang plank but now I'm firmly on the dock heading for town.  If you haven't disembarked it may be too late, I think our ship has sailed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

We had a 1/2" of snow and freezing temps about 15-20yrs ago? on May 5th, 400' elevation just SW of Port Orchard at my old house.  I remember other areas around the sound had snow too.  Some of my coldest memories are playing baseball in March/April.  The coldest was at Wilson HS in Tacoma on a windy mid 30 degree day.  I should have just put on a pair of ski gloves, at least I would have had feeling in my hands.

• Like 1

Dear the Weather Forums,

The winter of 2020-2021 was supposed to be our year. A moderate la Nina and a first year la Nina no less!! However, just like my ex-girlfriends, it was only a letdown. A regional wide snowstorm would have united this forum, yet all we are left with is anarchy. Maybe one day, @iFred will let it snow again, but until that day, the trend is not our friend.

With a heavy heart, this pains me to say this. However, it must be said. Winter is cancelled. Yes, I did just say it. It must be said. It is the end of January and we still do not have any snow. With no snow in sight, this is the end.  Now we head into endless ridging and 60-degree weather for February. @TT-SEA get’s his wish.

Sincerely,

A snowless Frosty the Snowman

bye bye goodbye GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• lol 2
  • Sad 2
  • scream 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 1
  • Weenie 3