Jump to content
The Weather Forums

January 2021 weather observations for the PNW


Recommended Posts

Picked up 0.16” so far this morning...4.46” on the month. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-5.26”

Cold season rainfall-32.08”

Snowfall-15.5”

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

View outside...

Some pics on the way up to my property.  The ones on the road are 1/4 mile down the road and the gate is the beginning of my 120 acre land.

I SEE FLAKES! WE DID IT!  I would like to thank every single poster and lurker on this board for working so hard this winter. Everyone gave it their all and it ended up with Tigard getting their

Posted Images

Looks like PDX managed to find some 50 degree magic this morning to make it eight straight to start the year. Unprecedented.

  • Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

12z GEFS is still nowhere close at 300 hours. ☹️

 

500h_anom.na (9).png

The ensemble trend has been pretty unmistakable and unfortunate...

image.thumb.png.5589060e703a6d634d25e725e7dbf091.png
 

image.thumb.png.1eb3de16d3580c4bc3f8b981afe4bc45.png

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

The ensemble trend has been pretty unmistakable and unfortunate...

image.thumb.png.5589060e703a6d634d25e725e7dbf091.png
 

image.thumb.png.1eb3de16d3580c4bc3f8b981afe4bc45.png

 

 

Careful, you are getting close to "Debbie Downer" territory.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Acer said:

Careful, you are getting close to "Debbie Downer" territory.

 

I think it’s more Debbie’s abusive and cyclonic husband Al that we have to worry about.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like we’ve gotta hope the EPS is right. 

  • Excited 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-5.26”

Cold season rainfall-32.08”

Snowfall-15.5”

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I think it’s more Debbie’s abusive and cyclonic husband Al that we have to worry about.

He is a bit twisted.

  • Excited 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point it is almost time to write off January. 

  • Downvote 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 10.5"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

At this point it is almost time to write off January. 

That big crash I just heard was Jim slamming the back door to the forum.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be fork time soon. January looking like yet another shietty blowtorch in a series of them.

Gotta love our current climate era. Get excited for a Nina with westerly QBO and everything seemingly lining up perfectly and then get another torchfest. 

Time to start aggressively pursuing every scholarship I can get to Montana State.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Juneuary morning. 46F.

  • Downvote 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

  • Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 36 (Most recent: Feb 24, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

24

Link to post
Share on other sites

February is going to be great above 1000'. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2020-21: 10.5"                        2020-21: 52.02"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

 

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Might be fork time soon. January looking like yet another shietty blowtorch in a series of them.

Gotta love our current climate era. Get excited for a Nina with westerly QBO and everything seemingly lining up perfectly and then get another torchfest. 

Time to start aggressively pursuing every scholarship I can get to Montana State.

Oh admit it you are loving that we have been warmer than some cherrypicked spots in Cali.

  • Downvote 1
  • Troll 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Oh admit it you are loving that we have been warmer than some cherrypicked spots in Cali.

If by “some cherrypicked spots” you mean “all of northern California sans the immediate coast”.

And no. Winter warmth is an absolute waste.

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jesse said:

Reminds me of inane cold. Chapped lips and donut holes.

So what. My opinion has changed greatly since then. I have wisened up and realized that there is no benefit whatsoever to winter torching.

  • lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deweydog said:

The ensemble trend has been pretty unmistakable and unfortunate...

image.thumb.png.5589060e703a6d634d25e725e7dbf091.png
 

image.thumb.png.1eb3de16d3580c4bc3f8b981afe4bc45.png

 

 

I guess until something shows up in the believable range, we’re just gonna have to deal with the pendulum.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

So what. My opinion has changed greatly since then. I have wisened up and realized that there is no benefit whatsoever to winter torching.

I’m sure you’ll find nothing whatsoever to complain about in Bozeman 😘 

  • Troll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

At this point it is almost time to write off January. 

Going to be between the 25th of Jan and 10th of Feb.  You know as well as i do the pattern will cave and change.  It still blows my mind the lack of cold onshore flow in the last 5 years. My place can do good with cold onshore and overrunning fronts Like 07 08.   I'd really liike to see something good in the December 10th through Jan 25th just for the Low sun angles.

  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t make much sense to put a fork into winter when we can only really see 10-14 days in advance (not even reliably). There’s also still about 7 weeks left until March...or 50 days roughly we can only see about 10-14 days out. If it’s February 20th and theres nothing happening I’d grab the fork. 

  • Like 2

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-25

Coldest high-32

Freezes-15

Monthly rainfall-5.26”

Cold season rainfall-32.08”

Snowfall-15.5”

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I guess until something shows up in the believable range, we’re just gonna have to deal with the pendulum.

At the moment there’s no distinct trackable sign of a large scale pattern change, just vague hints.  And vague might be a slight overstatement.  Still think things will edge that way late in the month but as is often the case with Al, it’s a tough egg to crack.

  • Like 1
  • Angry 1
  • Weenie 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

At the moment there’s no distinct trackable sign of a large scale pattern change, just vague hints.  And vague might be a slight overstatement.  Still think things will edge that way late in the month but as is often the case with Al, it’s a tough egg to crack.

Hopefully things will get back on track.

  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems REALLY obvious that models beyond six days are 100% worthless so why are they a thing?

Why do people even look at them?

This is not a downer, weenie emoji comment it's a serious question.

It's very apparent that when a pattern does verify it's not only rare but it's also a fluke that is not based on accurate science but instead based on coincidence.

Wouldn't it be a LOT funner to invest all of this time and effort on a deeper analysis of the next six days?

For me that's far more interesting and educational than what is happening now with all of this roller coaster model riding.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it’s not ballz to the walls inane, the long range 12z shows a much better pattern than we have endured this month so far. Seasonably chilly at very least.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Doesn’t make much sense to put a fork into winter when we can only really see 10-14 days in advance (not even reliably). There’s also still about 7 weeks left until March...or 50 days roughly we can only see about 10-14 days out. If it’s February 20th and theres nothing happening I’d grab the fork. 

Need to take this up with TigerFallsOmegadrew.

  • Excited 2
  • lol 1
  • Troll 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rsktkr said:

It seems REALLY obvious that models beyond six days are 100% worthless so why are they a thing?

Why do people even look at them?

This is not a downer, weenie emoji comment it's a serious question.

It's very apparent that when a pattern does verify it's not only rare but it's also a fluke that is not based on accurate science but instead based on coincidence.

Wouldn't it be a LOT funner to invest all of this time and effort on a deeper analysis of the next six days?

For me that's far more interesting and educational than what is happening now with all of this roller coaster model riding.

 

Next six days look fairly progressive, occasionally wet and seasonably mild to solidly warm.

  • Angry 1
  • Weenie 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rsktkr said:

It seems REALLY obvious that models beyond six days are 100% worthless so why are they a thing?

Why do people even look at them?

This is not a downer, weenie emoji comment it's a serious question.

It's very apparent that when a pattern does verify it's not only rare but it's also a fluke that is not based on accurate science but instead based on coincidence.

Wouldn't it be a LOT funner to invest all of this time and effort on a deeper analysis of the next six days?

For me that's far more interesting and educational than what is happening now with all of this roller coaster model riding.

 

This forum is not based on facts or reality. 

  • Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

This forum is just a imaginative online world ifred made up. We are all living in his simulation. 

I am simply one of his sarcastic rants that has gained self awareness.

  • Excited 1
  • lol 6
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rsktkr said:

It seems REALLY obvious that models beyond six days are 100% worthless so why are they a thing?

Why do people even look at them?

This is not a downer, weenie emoji comment it's a serious question.

It's very apparent that when a pattern does verify it's not only rare but it's also a fluke that is not based on accurate science but instead based on coincidence.

Wouldn't it be a LOT funner to invest all of this time and effort on a deeper analysis of the next six days?

For me that's far more interesting and educational than what is happening now with all of this roller coaster model riding.

 

I, for one, can't think of anything more fun than a deep dive into the analysis of the predicted weather for the next 6 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

All kidding aside i really feel like we will get hammered good around the end of the month and probable sooner. It will happen in the models fast. 

Same thing happened two years ago...

Some were pretty much writing winter off (later so in January than we are now), and then things shook up pretty quickly. 

(I know nobody needed a reminder, but it feels good to type it out)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Next six days look fairly progressive, occasionally wet and seasonably mild to solidly warm.

Should be some nice green-filtered tulip pics incoming! As well as some meltdowns on how we will never see snow again.

  • Excited 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

I, for one, can't think of anything more fun than a deep dive into the analysis of the predicted weather for the next 6 days.

It might not be as bad as some would think. There is pretty much always something meteorologically interesting happening, especially with all of the microclimates around here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Timmy said:

Should be some nice green-filtered tulip pics incoming! As well as some meltdowns on how we will never see snow again.

I think we have a block set aside for that early next week.  Let me know if you want me to pencil you in.

  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

I think we have a block set aside for that early next week.  Let me know if you want me to pencil you in.

Who uses a pencil these day's? WOW

  • Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Doesn’t make much sense to put a fork into winter when we can only really see 10-14 days in advance (not even reliably). There’s also still about 7 weeks left until March...or 50 days roughly we can only see about 10-14 days out. If it’s February 20th and theres nothing happening I’d grab the fork. 

There is no room for a voice of reason on this forum, how dare you.

  • lol 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Who uses a pencil these day's? WOW

I used them quite frequently in 1989.  You can thank me later.

  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

At the moment there’s no distinct trackable sign of a large scale pattern change, just vague hints.  And vague might be a slight overstatement.  Still think things will edge that way late in the month but as is often the case with Al, it’s a tough egg to crack.

No sign of a pattern change?

Maybe I'm just seeing things but all these look like a pattern change to me...

1611295200-2b31JzspWtU.png

1611165600-5giTQJpbhaI.png

1611208800-BtwzNhbUUKg.png

  • Like 2

Weather station: https://maplevalleywx.com

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Chris unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...