January 2021 weather observations for the PNW

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

View outside...

Some pics on the way up to my property.  The ones on the road are 1/4 mile down the road and the gate is the beginning of my 120 acre land.

I SEE FLAKES! WE DID IT!  I would like to thank every single poster and lurker on this board for working so hard this winter. Everyone gave it their all and it ended up with Tigard getting their

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

EPS has a stronger ridge, deeper trough, and colder 850s from about day 7 through at least day 10

Good. Yeah what the operational Euro tries to do with the energy dropping down the backside of the ridge in the 7-10 day range seems to be a pretty common error for that model in that timeframe (although sometimes it ends up being correct). Hopefully the EPS prevails.

• Like 1

Got a weathermodels subscription. Probably will cancel when winter is over. Anyways, much stronger signal on the EPS than the 00z which means more members are agreeing on the upcoming pattern.

• Like 8
  • Excited 1

This is a snowy boom or bust pattern as shown by the EPS. I count about 8 of the 50 members as delivering significant snow region wide. Most have measurable snow. But there are a good handful that deliver nothing or next to nothing.

Spokane airport reported a 71 mph gust this morning. If that's confirmed it will be the 2nd strongest wind ever recorded there I believe.

• Like 4

Everett Snowfall

2018-19: 24.75"

2019-20: 10.5"

1/10: 0.5"

1/12: 5.5"

1/13: 1"

1/14: 1.5"

1/15: 2"

How the sneaky low snuck up on us and only the Euro saw it coming as it developed literally at the very last minute. GFS among other models needing a lot of work. 

• Like 4

It is currently 52F outside after a morning low of 41F. It looks like we will be running a +15F for the next 5 days or so. We might even hit 60F on Friday! Operational runs still show no storms for us through Jan. Hopefully the advertised pattern change makes it down here or we are in big trouble for the 3rd time in the last 4 winters. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jesse said:

The 12z Euro wanted to be pretty cutoffy with the pattern change a week out. Hopefully the EPS is more consolidated, since that seems to be a common problem with the operational in the 7-10 day range.

Euro still loves cutoffs/ULLs in the medium-long range. Better than it used to be but still has some bias there.

Of course the GFS has the opposite problem, and it’s worse in magnitude. Lol.

• Like 4

Very nice, this average is almost 2" more than the evening run last night.

1610539200-chufGV5T0F4.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 30 (Most recent: Jan 24, 2021)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 3 (Most recent: Dec 24)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

9 minutes ago, Dan the Weatherman said:

The PNW is hogging all the rain right now! I wish you could share some of it with California!

Something tells me if this big late month pattern change pans out the jet is going to be focused to the south for a little while.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Something tells me if this big late month pattern change pans out the jet is going to be focused to the south for a little while.

I really hope you are right! We desperately need mountain snow and low elevation rain in all of the state, since it has been so dry statewide except for the very far north near the Oregon border since the beginning of the season. The Intermountain West and the 4 Corners region are both also in desperate need of precip.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dolt said:

Did Andrew survive last night's gale?

I would imagine he lost power. The forum has felt pretty low on nitrates this morning.

• Excited 1
  • Troll 1
46 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Pressure rises are the first thing I look for ahead of a potential wind event. I can’t recall any legitimate wind event here that didn’t have a pressure surge.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MossMan said:

All of my FB memories for this date had a bit of a weather theme...

Two years ago today did end up putting shorts on, and was thinking winter was finished. 

564E1B9F-4E02-49E3-BA7C-E550ECFE8564.jpeg

755BA42E-24F4-4B4C-A136-D3F3EBDF9C0A.jpeg

F4DB9E4B-86F6-4468-83AE-AC13B070F5C7.jpeg

0D59316E-DEB3-4D10-8ECD-6551981B66F6.jpeg

Quite the variety! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SalemDuck said:

This is by far the snowiest EPS run of the winter. Really not even close.

Must've been picturing one of the GFS runs or something. I haven't kept track the snow maps.

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

DP down to 36 at PDX.  Good sign for another visit to Thirtiesville tonight.  

Could make for a nice diurnal spread if they due it before midnight.

• Weenie 1
9 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Could make for a nice diurnal spread if they due it before midnight.

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  Today’s numbers will be a little misleading.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

I was kinda thinking the same thing.  Today’s numbers will be a little misleading.

Strong ridging with afternoon downslope!!

• Weenie 1
32 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Still on generator power, but a nice and still blustery day. 

683C5D35-6A6E-4AD1-8636-00B63A5E6866.jpeg

My sump pump is firing off every 68 seconds under house from all this rain!!! So glad it’s done for a bit.  
Is old creaky still alive? 

8 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

My sump pump is firing off every 68 seconds under house from all this rain!!! So glad it’s done for a bit.  
Is old creaky still alive? 

It is!! All of my trees survived, lots of branches down however, spent the last few hours doing some cleanup. Definitely needs to cool down soon however...My grass has had a growth spike and the frogs were croaking last night!! 

• Like 1