2021 Weather Thread

Phil

Wind is roaring this afternoon. Must be at least 50mph at the treetops.

DCA has hit 55mph and they’re at sea level.

There’s blowing dust/dirt thanks to the dry weather lately. Probably lots of pollen mixed in too. 😂

Looks like BWI 54mph, DCA 55mph, IAD 46mph. In other words, it’s March.

Calming down a bit here. Though I suspect there’ll be another uptick as CAA increases later this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

Raining pretty good today. Just passed 0.6” here, DCA is at 1.5”. Over-performer for sure.

Stretch of warm weather begins tomorrow.  Could be 4 straight of 70s with 80s possible Friday, along with some gusty W/SW winds in the 40-50mph range, possibly stronger further N.

Now ~ 1.1” on the day. Badly needed.

Should help temper fire concerns around here on Friday.

Warm, windy morning. Tulip poplars, willows, and a few other species are leafing out. Temp is ~ 77°F, dewpoint 63°F. Very comfortable.

Wind advisory in effect for 50mph gusts this afternoon. Already had one ~ 40mph gust ~ 15mins ago. Front is crossing the Blue Ridge now, where a high wind warning is in effect for 60-65mph gusts.

Raining with some distant booming thunder as of 615AM. Looks like elevated convection is developing ahead of the warm front. First thunderstorm of 2021!

Should be a dynamic day. We’ll probably get (briefly) warm sectored this afternoon ahead of the cold front, w/ a strong wind field to tap into and modest sfc CAPE. Squall line/T-storms should blow through this afternoon along/just ahead of the cold front, followed by strong gradient winds gusting to 50mph or so.

Heard multiple trees go down in the woods. One fell on a house, another on power lines on Heatherhill Rd.

Gusts were easily 55+mph. My tree-obstructed anemometer registered a 51mph gust, which usually means winds are much stronger at the treetops. Strongest of the year so far.

Still ripping. Hard to capture at night so this vid doesn’t do it justice, but it’s loud.

Feels like January out there. Snow showers yesterday with winds gusting between 30-40mph. Like a typical January NW flow day with April sun angles. Lol.

This morning, wind chills dipped into the upper teens. Barely hit 40°F by noontime despite full sunshine. Afternoon high was 45°F.

Could drop into the middle 20s tonight.

Nice rainband moving through tonight. Hoping for at least a quarter inch before it wraps up. Currently 52/50.

Had our first two thunderstorm days early in the week. Nothing even remotely severe but it was nice to hear thunder again.

Now we have a dynamic pattern coming up over the next 10 days. Multiple opportunities for sharp cool fronts, forced squalls, and comfortable temperatures.

Currently 57 degrees with fair weather cumulus and NW winds 25-35mph. Beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting week of weather. Rough winds last Wednesday afternoon, much stronger than projected and stronger than anything we saw over the winter. Followed by two consecutive subfreezing nights.

Then a much needed 0.7” of rainfall last night. Trees looking happier again, after the young foliage got battered last week. Now partly to mostly sunny and in the mid-60s with a fresh NW breeze.

Tomorrow looks like a sunnier version of today. Then Tuesday - Thursday look much warmer with highs in the mid-80s, and lows in the upper 50s to middle 60s. Followed by another spring cold front.

Love this time of year.

High Wind Watch from 11AM Friday to 5AM Saturday. This one looks legit..strong cold/dry advection under a tropopause fold plus a downsloping component.

Given duration + leaves on trees, I think it’d be prudent to go with a high wind warning N/W of the fall line, assuming guidance holds.

If it were February or March, maybe I’d play it safe w/ a wind advisory for 55+mph, but it’ll probably be close either way.

Currently 81 degrees and a bit humid with mostly cloudy skies.

Already roaring out there this AM. Have had several gusts near/over 45mph already. I think this evening is gonna be rough with that vortmax/tropopause fold slicing through the region.

Latest in the season I can recall being under a high wind warning. At the moment it runs from 12 noon to 2AM. Strongest winds likely in the 5pm-midnight window, in my opinion.

Big time winds with that rain shower. Shook the house, our ears popped. Mixed down pretty much all of the available wind aloft thanks to evaporative cooling.

At least 60mph, possibly stronger.

• 4 weeks later...

Cicadas very loud again this AM. One heck of a showing from brood-x so far.

06z ECMWF maxes out the flash rate color bar this afternoon. Let’s see if it verifies.

27C33B59-C3F3-4810-843C-5CDD75AAA7DC.png

On 5/26/2021 at 9:42 PM, weatherfan2012 said:

Great thunderstorm day today best Event in quite sometime with the back to back lines.

It was a legit day. First line gapped us but the second one was a beast. Pulsing gusts at/above 60+mph and a torrent of rain and lightning. Some of the heaviest rain I’ve ever seen, in fact. Overwhelmed the gutters and cascaded off the roof like a waterfall.

Wind core passed directly overhead.

E4774EBE-5E1D-4FA4-AB98-C655785F0EFC.png

After a couple days off due to rain, the cicada party started again just after sunrise today w/ temps in the 40s. Did not expect that at all. Guess they were getting antsy.

Should be loud this week with overnight lows warming from upper 40s/low 50s into the mid/upper 60s.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, weatherfan2012 said:

Good storm just went by here heavey rains and some close lighting loud thunder.

I’m jealous. Nothing but sunshine and humidity here. Afternoon temp 91/77, for a heat index of 105.

How the heck is it only June 8th? I’m already drained.

Storm blew up overhead around 9PM. Was a gully washer, dumped roughly 1.5” of rain along with frequent/close lightning and winds around 30-35mph.

Now it’s just warm, muggy, and foggy with the sound of water dripping from the trees permeating the night air.

Decent storm last night. Not severe, but lots of lightning and torrential rainfall. Drought concerns alleviated for now.

Fantastic weather for the next couple days. Highs around 80, lows in the low 50s with low dewpoints. And the next 2 weeks don’t look to have any extended periods of heat.

But I fear what’s brewing in July. E-Hem MJO could be a furnace esp if it’s slow to propagate out of the Indo-Pacific. We’ll see.

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, weatherfan2012 said:

Holy crap tornado was confirmed in Dc Thursday ef0 but still mother nature must be pissed at Dc for sending a tornado :lol:

2 tornadoes. EF0 and EF1. We had a blast of straight line wind that tore through the treetops but that’s about it.