2021 Weather Thread

Phil

Ripping real good now. Lots of deadwooding (typical of the 1st cool season wind event).

Temp now dropping into the 50s under some clouds/CAA, after a midday high of 64.Ā 

Ā 

• Windy 1

10 hours ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

First nor-easter of the season.Ā 

It was a decent one too.Ā Severe weather and several inches of rain the first day, then 45-55mph winds on the backside.

Only unfortunate aspect is it essentially ended foliage season before it even peaked. Stripped most of the trees bare, except the oaks which are still full and green.

• Sad 1

Today is a firehose right off the Atlantic and Chesapeake. Looking at several inches of rain and an unusually strong easterly fetch.

In fact already gusting above 30mph here, with 60-70kts projected at 850mb by midday.

Not all of that will mix down given the presence of a stable layer, but trees arenā€™t well acclimated to east winds around here, so could be dicey.

• scream 1

Deck went from clean to covered in tree debris in the blink of an eye. A little over 1ā€ of rain as of 350pm.

6FC442C6-23EB-43B0-A912-8B65879C39BA.jpeg

• scream 1

Last two nights have bottomed out at exactly 32.5Ā°F. Frost on many exposed surfaces.

Tonight should drop below freezing and officially end the growing season.

• Snow 1

Hard freeze finally. 29.1Ā°F with some ground fog in the creek valley. Good riddance skeeters.

Now well into the 50s in the noon hour with full sunshine.

Looks like my complaining paid off. Second consecutive hard freeze this AM.Ā Bottomed out at 28.6Ā°F and killed off the remainder of above-ground insects. First completely silent night since June.

Quickly shot up into the 50s by midday today. Warming trend through the next week, with another cycle of troughing/storminess increasingly likely thereafter.

Decent squall last night. Summer-like downpours and 30mph winds.

Another front pushes through tomorrow around sunrise. Stronger CAA/pressure surge so will probably have a 30-35mph spike between 15-18z. Dampen diurnal cycle with lows returning close to average tomorrow night.

Repeat affair Sunday/Monday, gusts possibly up near 40mph based on current guidance. Highs in the 40s Monday?

• Storm 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks cool and crisp for the next week or so.

Modest cold front tonight. Stronger front with some gusty winds possible Friday.

Ā 

• Excited 1

Wanted to post this amazing Ā image of a Scud Cloud taken in S. Carolina. Ā 
Amazing thing. Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

44FE2642-1B80-49C9-B9E9-B58780F1C16C.jpeg

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

ā€œIfĀ I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and liveĀ in Hell.ā€ Ā Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Low this AM was 24.4Ā°F, coolest of the season so far.

Decent front looks to blow through tomorrow night. Friday looks pretty gusty with a deep mixing layer under CAA/pressure rises and downsloping flow. Gusts likely around 45mph, so just under advisory criteria.

Clipper system Sunday/Monday could also deliver the first snowflakes of the season. But thatā€™s a bit farther out.

• Snow 1

Cold front hit like a ton of bricks. Big gust smacked the house at roughly 550AM. Both me & the gf were jarred awake simultaneously.

• scream 1

52mph at Dulles. So far 44mph here. Probably will be reaching advisory criteria here shortly.

• Windy 1

Peaked at 48mph here. A bit stronger than I was expecting.

Either way, an old-fashioned, breezy late autumn day.

Ā 

DC21E34C-F752-4279-AA29-49BF8E485FD4.jpeg

Downslope wind event looks likely Thursday afternoon/night along/Lee side of terrain where 60mph gusts are possible.Ā Unlikely to be excessively windy here, but it wouldnā€™t shock me if a few 35-40mph gusts are observed west of the fall line in the evening hours.

A few years ago we had a nocturnal downslope event that spiked temps from 38 to 60 degrees in 30mins, with 40+mph gusts. Not the same setup, but interesting nonetheless.

Ā 

• Like 1

Immediate temp spike back into the upper 60s here as of 9pm, as the winds arrive out of the mountains.

Some gusts near 60mph out west. Mostly up in the terrain.

On 12/3/2021 at 1:08 PM, FAR_Weather said:

I'll be visiting NC in a week to look at homes. My first glimpse!

Nice! Where in?

• Like 1

Looks like a solid front poised to blow through today.

Gusts to 50mph and a narrow squall line possible. But LWX says duration is too short for wind advisory.

KMRB just hit 55mph. Looks like a solid wall of wind incoming.

Definitely behaving like a niƱa winter thus far.

Edit: Now 56mph.

• Windy 1

Last nightā€™s front was legit. Two pulses of hard winds and a rapid temperature/dewpoint drop.

In the span of a few hours, the dewpoint dropped from the mid 50s to the upper teens, while the temperature dropped from 70Ā°F to 33.8Ā°F by dawn.

Despite obstruction by pine trees, gusts still approached 50mph (likely higher in reality).

3A5F2ED6-2711-45E4-A895-110AA26CA445.jpeg

Ahh good ole La NiƱa, the hairdryer.

Another wind advisory.Ā Decent pressure surge on the LLJ tail tomorrow evening. Should be a quick but strong burst of wind.

F9E77844-2DBD-4DA2-AEF4-2DF29D0F666E.jpeg

• Windy 1

On 12/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, FAR_Weather said:

Hello from Salisbury, NC. It's been a while since I've felt calm, humid cold as that's not really a thing in the Dakotas. 34Ā°F.

Welcome to the swamp. šŸ»

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I thought Iā€™d pop in next door to visit and say Merry Christmas! And Have A Happy & Healthy 2022!

No Texas will see Highs Christmas weekend at 82*. Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  ( sorry no ā›„ļø)

Low of 60*. Ā  7% Clouds !! šŸ¤ šŸ‘

Shorts and Tee Shirts šŸ‘• Permitted!

***The beaches are open. ***Ā 

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

ā€œIfĀ I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and liveĀ in Hell.ā€ Ā Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*