Jan 14th-16th Upper MW/GL's Storm System

Tom

Things about to get a fresh blanket of white in KC. WWA for 1-3 inches of snow and lots of wind. Should be a wintry day tomorrow.

Crazy thing is, local mets including Lezak mention nothing of this until yesterday evening. Now, we could have blizzard conditions tomorrow. I'll take it. Latest NAM looks like a solid 2-3 inches of snow in the city. 

Good luck everyone. 

• Like 5

It seems like short range models including the NAM are picking up on a dry slot from Lincoln to Wahoo. So it kind of falls apart and then gets it’s act together again once it’s to the south.

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

Blizzard warning now only a couple counties away.......crazy how insane the cut off is to the west. Good luck to all, I seen a blizzard with only 2" of snow back in December. Can't imagine what you guys in Iowa are gonna experience!!

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Omaha/Valley NE
249 PM CST Thu Jan 14 2021

...Blizzard conditions expected tonight and Friday...

NEZ043-051-066-090-092-150600-
/O.EXA.KOAX.BZ.W.0001.210115T0600Z-210116T0000Z/
Colfax-Saunders-Lancaster-Johnson-Pawnee-
Including the cities of Schuyler, Wahoo, Ashland, Yutan, Lincoln,
Tecumseh, Sterling, Pawnee City, and Table Rock
249 PM CST Thu Jan 14 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 6 PM CST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
  of up to two inches. Winds gusting as high as 60 mph.

* WHERE...Colfax, Saunders, Lancaster, Johnson and Pawnee
  Counties.

* WHEN...From midnight tonight to 6 PM CST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Difficult to impossible travel due to near zero
  visibility and roads becoming snow covered. The Friday morning
  and evening commutes will be heavily impacted. Power outages and
  tree damage are also possible.
  • Like 1
  • scream 1

Precip just started in Cedar Rapids.  It's something in between sleet and snow, but leaning toward sleet.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Well that wouldn't have been my choice to put Lincoln in a Blizz Warning, but I'm not a meteorologist. I guess it's better safe than sorry if **** hits the fan, people can't pretend they didn't know it was a possibility. And oddly enough, Seward county just to the west doesn't even have an advisory...

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

7 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

Well that wouldn't have been my choice to put Lincoln in a Blizz Warning, but I'm not a meteorologist. I guess it's better safe than sorry if **** hits the fan, people can't pretend they didn't know it was a possibility. And oddly enough, Seward county just to the west doesn't even have an advisory...

Insane gradient setting up. If the low aligns just right, seward and a few counties to the west could get into the fun including my area. Even an inch of snow with these winds will be a major problem. I seen it a month ago with the previous blizzard. 

• Like 2

This Sh!T is awesome (the whole Met mess ). Really could care less about who gets what. Just sit back and enjoy- after all --there nothing we can do about it anyway.

• Like 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

We're just getting some light snow that is barely sticking to the pavement.  It appears we will not be getting much at all.  Last night's Euro was real bad.

• Like 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Looks like this will be a non event down here. It’s too warm to accumulate and the snow is light. Radar is showing that it’s not going to last much longer here and the wrap around will miss us to the west. So I suppose this will go down as a trace here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The extremely light snow rate is unable to do anything but maintain the dusting on pavement.