MJO/LR Forecasting Thread

Probably more optomistic than how this winter will actually turn out.

Not sure why you are so down on our chances.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would be too if just looking at what our recent climate has to offer in Nino situations. We just need a good regional event to lift most of our spirits.

Hope springs eternal.

Actually the last 2 Nino winters had significant Arctic outbreaks. As Phil has emphasized there is much more to weather patterns than ENSO. In actuality November has been extremely dynamic...especially when you add the last couple of days. I see no reason to write this winter off.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS is finally catching on to this MJO wave, but is still to eager to greatly weaken it.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Taking the above ENSO criteria (warm neutral), plotting a 500mb analysis of the MJO in phases 4/5 yields results which show potential, but has lacks the amplification we'd like to see due to an ugly +EPO which the models have shown for a while now

It looks like the pattern may end up almost exactly like this. Hopefully we will get lucky and be on the colder side of the envelope with this. Maybe the next shot will be with a more negative EPO.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It looks like the pattern may end up almost exactly like this. Hopefully we will get lucky and be on the colder side of the envelope with this. Maybe the next shot will be with a more negative EPO.

Definitely looks like a tight gradient on a few of the model runs. The northern locations may get lucky, but it's borderline at this point. Given the warm SST's, the MJO cycle duration is at it's shortest, around 30-40 days. Lack of convective budget with a weak walker cell increases the propagation speed. 

At this point, I say our window of opportunity is ~Dec 1-10 while the MJO is centered around the Maritime Continent. After that, convection moves into the Pacific, with cold favoring the Central US at first, then shifting into the East. What happens from there is up in the air. Not saying we can't see any cold, just that tropical forcing favors warmth in the west for 2/3 of December. If a new MJO wave initiates over the IO, given the current MJO duration, early-mid January could be our next major window of opportunity, which lines up with the LRC so far this season. I was linked a great article by @webberweather, which illustrates the MJO cycle duration by month. Keep in mind, as mentioned above, cycle duration is on the low end this season. 

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/JCLI4230.1

http://i.imgur.com/SLq3wCl.jpg

Given the warm SST's, the MJO cycle duration is at it's shortest, around 30-40 days. Lack of convective budget with a weak walker cell increases the propagation speed.

Love your posts..you're really tearing it up. Agreed that mean period frequency has been elevated over the last 3-4 months due to ENSO/QBO forcing on eddy transport.

What are you referring to when you mention the lack of a convective budget? I get that SST anomalies are somewhat uniform longitudinally for a Niño (destabilizes Walker-Hadley intensity ratio), but the tropical tropopause is higher than normal, and macroscale mixing is quite deep.

At this point, I say our window of opportunity is ~Dec 1-10 while the MJO is centered around the Maritime Continent. After that, convection moves into the Pacific, with cold favoring the Central US at first, then shifting into the East. What happens from there is up in the air. Not saying we can't see any cold, just that tropical forcing favors warmth in the west for 2/3 of December. If a new MJO wave initiates over the IO, given the current MJO duration, early-mid January could be our next major window of opportunity, which lines up with the LRC so far this season. I was linked a great article by @webberweather, which illustrates the MJO cycle duration by month. Keep in mind, as mentioned above, cycle duration is on the low end this season.

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/JCLI4230.1

http://i.imgur.com/SLq3wCl.jpg

Great analysis! Best of luck to you here. Personally I favor January over December. I agree with your thoughts on the longwave progression, but I suspect most of December will be highly zonal due to the observed poleward AAM transport since September and the near record low in the Walker-Hadley intensity ratio. Biggest question for me is in the timing of the SSW/PVA implosion..whenever it occurs, it'll lead to extreme cold for at least 3-5 weeks, I suspect..

Definitely looks like a tight gradient on a few of the model runs. The northern locations may get lucky, but it's borderline at this point. Given the warm SST's, the MJO cycle duration is at it's shortest, around 30-40 days. Lack of convective budget with a weak walker cell increases the propagation speed. 

At this point, I say our window of opportunity is ~Dec 1-10 while the MJO is centered around the Maritime Continent. After that, convection moves into the Pacific, with cold favoring the Central US at first, then shifting into the East. What happens from there is up in the air. Not saying we can't see any cold, just that tropical forcing favors warmth in the west for 2/3 of December. If a new MJO wave initiates over the IO, given the current MJO duration, early-mid January could be our next major window of opportunity, which lines up with the LRC so far this season. I was linked a great article by @webberweather, which illustrates the MJO cycle duration by month. Keep in mind, as mentioned above, cycle duration is on the low end this season.

Wow! You're digging into this stuff deeper than I do. One thing I did notice with the ECMWF MJO forecast is the possibility of the MJO getting much weaker as it approaches octant 6. If so it could collapse and re-emerge in a good location for us. I hope the waves progressing so quickly doesn't mean any windows of opportunity for us this winter will be quite short.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The new EURO MJO Index Forecast from Nov. 24 to Dec. 8.  Looks like the Southwest will be cooler than normal until the end of Phase 6. Models show this will be true as a cool system will bring significant rain to So. Cal and keep the entire SW cool. Phase 7 is what I'm keeping a close eye on as of right now. Phase 7 will be cooler/colder for the PNW with a decently high significance % and strong signal. My confidence is growing that we could a significant arctic air at this time. From the EURO MJO it looks like we will hit Phase 7 on Dec. 8 but not be there for long, maybe until Dec. 11? Still long ways away to pinpoint the exact duration of being in Phase 7. My only concern is that if we blast right through Phase 7 quickly is that all we see is a backdoor event as the majority of the arctic air slides east. Then Phase 8 will be warmer but once we get back to Phase 1/2 we should have another chance of arctic air. The EURO MJO correctly predicted our arctic backdoor event two weeks ago when we were in Phase 1 with a strong signal. Significance % not very high in Phase 1 like before so Phase 2 looks more likely. I'm sticking to my initial forecast of arctic air sometime during the last 10 days of December and my confidence is higher now that we might see something more than a backdoor event at that time.

As a side note notice how Phase 3 shows colder air along the east coast depicting the Nor'easter that they will see this weekend. After that Phase 4 to Phase 7 will be warm and the significant % is very high showing this as a near lock for them. Phase 8 will finally end it and bring them arctic air through the end of Phase 2.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/Composites/Temperature/DJF/combined_image.png

Love your posts..you're really tearing it up. Agreed that mean period frequency has been elevated over the last 3-4 months due to ENSO/QBO forcing on eddy transport.

What are you referring to when you mention the lack of a convective budget? I get that SST anomalies are somewhat uniform longitudinally for a Niño (destabilizes Walker-Hadley intensity ratio), but the tropical tropopause is higher than normal, and macroscale mixing is quite deep.

Great analysis! Best of luck to you here. Personally I favor January over December. I agree with your thoughts on the longwave progression, but I suspect most of December will be highly zonal due to the observed poleward AAM transport since September and the near record low in the Walker-Hadley intensity ratio. Biggest question for me is in the timing of the SSW/PVA implosion..whenever it occurs, it'll lead to extreme cold for at least 3-5 weeks, I suspect..

Hey Phil,

Took forever to respond, sorry about that. When I mentioned "convective budget", I was simply referring to the amount of convection currently in the tropics. From the papers I've read, a "wet" convective regime will slow down an MJO wave, and a "dry" suppressed regime speeds it up. This goes for La Nina's and El Nino's in general, as the MJO propagates quicker in El Nino's vs La Nina's. Still digging into research and far as the reasoning behind this however. 

I tend to favor January over December as well, purely due to more available cold. However, this MJO wave looks to deliver the cold as expected. I'm curious to see if we still see another cold shot begin to show on the models while the tropical forcing is still around the MC. Definite possibility.

Wow! You're digging into this stuff deeper than I do. One thing I did notice with the ECMWF MJO forecast is the possibility of the MJO getting much weaker as it approaches octant 6. If so it could collapse and re-emerge in a good location for us. I hope the waves progressing so quickly doesn't mean any windows of opportunity for us this winter will be quite short.

Wanted to touch base on the ECMWF forecast you mentioned. As with any forecast, data becomes less reliable the further in time you go. Often times, the MJO wave is shown to die off in the dynamical forecasts, only to strengthen as we get closer. As far as our windows of opportunity, you may have a point. However, given the warm SST's and El Nino regime, the MJO propagates much quicker, resulting in more potential shots of cold. We saw cold in November, and now cold is coming for the beginning of December. Will January be the memorable month this year? 

• Like 1

The new EURO MJO Index Forecast from Nov. 24 to Dec. 8.  Looks like the Southwest will be cooler than normal until the end of Phase 6. Models show this will be true as a cool system will bring significant rain to So. Cal and keep the entire SW cool. Phase 7 is what I'm keeping a close eye on as of right now. Phase 7 will be cooler/colder for the PNW with a decently high significance % and strong signal. My confidence is growing that we could a significant arctic air at this time. From the EURO MJO it looks like we will hit Phase 7 on Dec. 8 but not be there for long, maybe until Dec. 11? Still long ways away to pinpoint the exact duration of being in Phase 7. My only concern is that if we blast right through Phase 7 quickly is that all we see is a backdoor event as the majority of the arctic air slides east. Then Phase 8 will be warmer but once we get back to Phase 1/2 we should have another chance of arctic air. The EURO MJO correctly predicted our arctic backdoor event two weeks ago when we were in Phase 1 with a strong signal. Significance % not very high in Phase 1 like before so Phase 2 looks more likely. I'm sticking to my initial forecast of arctic air sometime during the last 10 days of December and my confidence is higher now that we might see something more than a backdoor event at that time.

As a side note notice how Phase 3 shows colder air along the east coast depicting the Nor'easter that they will see this weekend. After that Phase 4 to Phase 7 will be warm and the significant % is very high showing this as a near lock for them. Phase 8 will finally end it and bring them arctic air through the end of Phase 2.

I love the work you put into these posts! I love seeing the feedback I've seen so far with this thread, and having someone else make forecasts alongside me using the MJO is a great learning experience for the both of us. As far as the rest of the month goes, I've had the 1-10th as my time frame for cold for a while now. I'm still waiting for the models to show a solid secondary shot of cold air, as I think it's a definite possibility. The last 2/3 of the month in my opinion will be pretty dull, with the bulk of the cold East of the Rockies. Keep in mind, that the CPC composites you use aren't 100% the way to go. There are other resources out there as well, and I try to make the best of all of them. I'm hoping the MJO shows signs of a new wave once this wave dies off, then we can begin estimating our time frame for January 

Wanted to touch base on the ECMWF forecast you mentioned. As with any forecast, data becomes less reliable the further in time you go. Often times, the MJO wave is shown to die off in the dynamical forecasts, only to strengthen as we get closer. As far as our windows of opportunity, you may have a point. However, given the warm SST's and El Nino regime, the MJO propagates much quicker, resulting in more potential shots of cold. We saw cold in November, and now cold is coming for the beginning of December. Will January be the memorable month this year? 

Is the MJO usually more robust in el nino? It seems to be pretty strong and moving quickly for now.

I love the work you put into these posts! I love seeing the feedback I've seen so far with this thread, and having someone else make forecasts alongside me using the MJO is a great learning experience for the both of us. As far as the rest of the month goes, I've had the 1-10th as my time frame for cold for a while now. I'm still waiting for the models to show a solid secondary shot of cold air, as I think it's a definite possibility. The last 2/3 of the month in my opinion will be pretty dull, with the bulk of the cold East of the Rockies. Keep in mind, that the CPC composites you use aren't 100% the way to go. There are other resources out there as well, and I try to make the best of all of them. I'm hoping the MJO shows signs of a new wave once this wave dies off, then we can begin estimating our time frame for January 

Based off of what we are seeing above on the ECMWF forecast it could be in phase 8 by Dec 10th or so and into phases 1-2 shortly after. At least according to SNOW's composites that would put cold and perhaps snow in the Dec 10-20 timeframe instead of 1-10. What is leading you to say the 1-10 could be interesting?

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Is the MJO usually more robust in el nino? It seems to be pretty strong and moving quickly for now.

Based off of what we are seeing above on the ECMWF forecast it could be in phase 8 by Dec 10th or so and into phases 1-2 shortly after. At least according to SNOW's composites that would put cold and perhaps snow in the Dec 10-20 timeframe instead of 1-10. What is leading you to say the 1-10 could be interesting?

Earlier forecasts had the MJO centered around the Maritime Continent until ~10th, which is where the original call came from. Now however, the MJO looks to enter the west pacific earlier than thought, closing our window of opportunity. I also have learned a bit more about the MJO based off my own composites, which I discuss below. This is all still a learning process, and I'll definitely make mistakes, but that's how we all learn right?

As far as December is concerned, I'm quite curious as to what will actually happen. CFS has a torch for the whole month, while the teleconnectors paint a different story. The below composite features dates in which the AO was between -3 and 1, the PNA was between .5 and 2, during a >0 ENSO during the month of December. As you see, a trough should be a definite feature in the east after the 1st week of December based off tele's.

http://i.imgur.com/Eb4D742.gif

http://i.imgur.com/GFj3l1j.gif

As far as the MJO, my gut would tell me that the core of cold would transfer to east of the Rockies, due to convection further east, causing mean ridge and trough to shift east as well. If you follow any of the same people I follow on twitter, they are all singing the same tune... MJO in phase 7/8 = return of the cold (for the east).

http://i.imgur.com/2VFtdJx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/E89amp0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/DwFgDSR.jpg

CPC MJO phase maps

http://i.imgur.com/5LAwzJF.jpg

I'm really curious as to how the last 1/2 of this month turns out honestly. I made some of my own composites to take a look at phase 7/8 myself, however, noticed some big differences between the above image, and my own results. After looking further into it, it appears based off history, the MJO plays a much bigger role on our weather pattern come Jan and Feb. Jan phases 7/8 look much more like I'd expect them to look given the position of tropical forcing, leading me to believe other factors are much more at play this month. I'm also going to conclude that this coming cold spell won't be as long lasting as I had originally thought, due to MJO not playing as big of a role as I realized early in winter.

http://i.imgur.com/Hrpnyuf.gif

Final thoughts for December....

Although the above image shows cold for the West in phase 7 during December, I don't feel we'll see anything close to that verifying. Other factors are at play here, and with the tele's heading where they are, the cold will most likely return to the east until further notice with a strong +PNA pattern locked in. If we're going to see any cold in the next few weeks (besides the obvious), it would most likely be a backdoor type event if anything. While we can reevaluate in 2-3 weeks from now, I'm not hopeful for December currently. Hope I eat my words here in 2 weeks :unsure:

http://i.imgur.com/B9q2RFG.gif

Thanks for the love. Yeah the CPC isn't 100%, it will be interesting to see how December plays out in regards to how we progress through the MJO Phases and what the resulting weather will be.

Thanks for the love. Yeah the CPC isn't 100%, it will be interesting to see how December plays out in regards to how we progress through the MJO Phases and what the resulting weather will be.

As I mentioned above in the new post, the 1-10 timeframe I mentioned will be a bust. MJO progressed much quicker than I originally thought. Dec should be dominated by a +PNA pattern with a -NAO developing around mid month due to MJO moving into the West Pacific.

No doubt the MJO came through for us again.  I have no doubt our current bout of winter was brought on by that.  Usually a good wave will bring us something fun somewhere in the 3 - 7 area.  As others have pointed out factors that work in conjunction with the MJO and time of year effect what octant will deliver the goods.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF insists the current wave will die before reaching region 6.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

There's some competition in the tropics now, I believe, which should be noted. There's some higher-frequency behavior in the velocity data, indicating CCKW activity to some extent. The MJO signal is weakening somewhat, however the phase diagrams may be slightly contaminated, for now.

I'm getting really frustrated that the AAM data hasn't been updated for over a week now.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I'm getting really frustrated that the AAM data hasn't been updated for over a week now.

The scientist who plotted much of the AAM et al data has retired, unfortunately. I might be taking over the job :lol:

The scientist who plotted much of the AAM et al data has retired, unfortunately. I might be taking over the job :lol:

Are you serious?  Was that Ed Berry or Klaus Weickmann?

So the person retired and they have just left nobody to do it?  Geeze.  I'm also wondering if there will be any way to go back and recreate all of the data from the missing days.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Are you serious? Was that Ed Berry or Klaus Weickmann?

So the person retired and they have just left nobody to do it? Geeze. I'm also wondering if there will be any way to go back and recreate all of the data from the missing days.

Lol, I didn't mean the actual job, but I'm thinking of taking the data and plotting it myself. I used that page on a semi-regular basis..wouldn't be too difficult with the right software.

Talk about LR models hinting at cold towards the end of December got me thinking. Around Nov 10th, right as the MJO gained amplitude into region 8/1, the PNW had a backdoor cold event. Could this be a possibility as the MJO propagates east over the Pacific towards the Western Hemisphere? Not likely. Not only do MJO cycles lengthen as we progress towards winter, their influences vary month to month as well

http://i.imgur.com/rvDvxHB.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome post. Might be important to note that the phase diagrams are heavily contaminated right now..they've been messing with a lot of people lately..even pro mets who don't isolate the velocity frequencies and misplace the MJO as a result. Here's a post I recently wrote in the main PNW thread:

For those looking at the MJO phase diagrams, keep in mind there's a lot of CCKW contamination ongoing...the real MJO is not that amplified, and has not progressed that far eastward yet..the MJO wave itself doesn't look favored to progress past region 7-8, assuming it gets there..? Walker/Hadley I/R looks blah..

Tropical forcing won't favor a -EPO/-NAO until the last week of December..the +PNA should flip later..

So, yeah, I suspect the next 20-25 days will look fairly zonal over the lower-48

• Like 1

Awesome post. Might be important to note that the phase diagrams are heavily contaminated right now..they've been messing with a lot of people lately..even pro mets who don't isolate the velocity frequencies and misplace the MJO as a result. Here's a post I recently wrote in the main PNW thread:

So, yeah, I suspect the next 20-25 days will look fairly zonal over the lower-48

I agree that the overall theme for 2/3 of December will be zonal. Also, the CCKW definitely alters the phase diagrams, causing the MJO to travel much quicker than it will. I'm curious as to why you feel the MJO may not even make it to 7/8? The warm SST's stretch clear to the Western Hemisphere, leaving an easy path for the MJO to propagate to.  

I know composites based off lag times aren't the best, but more evidence supporting zonal flow across the US followed by a crash in the NAO

http://i.imgur.com/RvURaCd.gif

Agreed on the SSTs...I'm not confident the MJO will complete a full propagation intact due to potentially detrimental effects of the CCKW activity on the low-freq MJO cell, and possibly the effects of the final warming event in ongoing over the SH stratosphere...could impact the Hadley Cells during the initial +SAM response?

Agreed on the SSTs...I'm not confident the MJO will complete a full propagation intact due to potentially detrimental effects of the CCKW activity on the low-freq MJO cell, and possibly the effects of the final warming event in ongoing over the SH stratosphere...could impact the Hadley Cells during the initial +SAM response?

It does appear the CCKW and MJO are traveling in tandem right now, what that will cause down the road though I'm unsure of. If only tropical forcing was an easier subject to learn =P

It does appear the CCKW and MJO are traveling in tandem right now, what that will cause down the road though I'm unsure of. If only tropical forcing was an easier subject to learn =P

I'm still learning too, lol. I'm guessing it's a battle between SSTs/antecedent Niño inertia (Walker/Hadley intensity ratio(s)) versus the stratosphere and the higher-frequency instabilities? What are your thoughts on all this? Your guess is as good as mine on this :)

I'm still learning too, lol. I'm guessing it's a battle between SSTs/antecedent Niño inertia (Walker/Hadley intensity ratio(s)) versus the stratosphere and the higher-frequency instabilities? What are your thoughts on all this? Your guess is as good as mine on this :)

I'll get back to you.... *goes to do research*

• Like 1

That paper would suggest a SSW would be possible in 13-24 days from now, or mid-late December. I suppose that is similar to what some have been saying.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

The ECMWF insists the MJO wave will soon collapse with a strong re-emergence into octant 4 at the end of week 2.  If so the models showing a cold West around Christmas could be right.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The ECMWF insists the MJO wave will soon collapse with a strong re-emergence into octant 4 at the end of week 2. If so the models showing a cold West around Christmas could be right.

Those phase diagrams are heavily contaminated right now..that has almost no chance of happening..

Those phase diagrams are heavily contaminated right now..that has almost no chance of happening..

We'll see.  Regardless of noise or whatever the ECMWF has been calling the MJO pretty well lately and this latest wave did deliver for us.  I think late December is possible for cold here, although I think Jan is more likely.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Guest daniel1

The ECMWF insists the MJO wave will soon collapse with a strong re-emergence into octant 4 at the end of week 2.  If so the models showing a cold West around Christmas could be right.

Why are you so insistent on this?

Why are you so insistent on this?

For one it's pretty atypical behavior for warm ENSO.  Secondly...if the MJO behaves like the ECMWF is indicating we could easily see cold weather in the NW again before New Years.  Maritime Continent is usually good for us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9