1/23 - 1/26 Two Wave Major Winter Storm

Tom

Alright folks, I think its time to whip up a thread for our next storm system that is being advertised on the models for this upcoming weekend into the early part of next week.  During the previous 2 LRC cycles, this system was a signature storm and one that produced a lot of precip, esp the 2nd stronger piece that the operational models are flashing.  There is a lot of blocking in place during this period which will make tracking this system interesting.  That's why I believe we are seeing some good runs and bad mixed into the bunch.  With that being said, the ensemble trends are what I'm looking at this point in time and the EPS has been steadfast developing the 2nd wave which fits the LRC quite well.

Let's dive into the data...

00z EPS mean pretty much shows the 1st wave delivering up North and then spreads the mean snow shield farther south.  In fact, I think it did tick S a bit from previous run.  Actually, I just checked and it did quite a bit esp across the lower lakes region since 00z 19th run.

2.png

3.png

00z Euro Control...

1.png

I'd like to comment on the LRC and why I see support on the models that the 2nd stronger wave should develop into a widespread system with ample moisture.  Back in LRC cycle #1, it produced a signature storm that had a massive comma shape trowal feature on radar Oct 28th-29th (http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=usrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=100&interval=15&year=2020&month=10&day=28&hour=12&minute=0)

During LRC cycle # 2 it produced a SLP that tracked along a frontal boundary right through the S MW/Lower Lakes region...

Click Image For Station Plots

To cap off this post, I am encouraged to see the uptick in moisture from the EPS as it fits this pattern in my opinion...

5.png

• Like 5

• Tom pinned this topic

This blocking is currently massive! What concerns me is the suppression and that was my main issue from the start (couple of days ago ). Hopefully, it can lift further north, otherwise, it will be a miss (heaviest snow stays south for some peeps on here, including myself). Fingers crossed. Still several more days to track this potential.

FWIW: Some of the ensembles show some good hits for SEMI, but some are blah.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

I'm squarely in the shaft zone on the GFS.  It's been consistent run after run of having the heavy snow cutoff right along highway 30 in eastern Iowa.  Nearly 5" for CR and only 1.5" in Iowa City.  I live 10 miles south of the eastern Iowa airport, which is where the 4.8" amount is listed and the snow totals drop by about 75% in that distance.  Just nudge south 30 miles GFS, you know you want to.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 2

GFS is still suppressed and weak with wave 2, more than other models.

Update:  Wave 3 hits Kansas, then dies.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Model mayhem at its finest and of course we will pick what's best for our neck of the woods. Liking the Canadian and hoping it has a better physics wrt the blocking that is in place. At least the 1st wave/over running event on Saturday-Sunday looks to lay down a few inches for many in this forum so will have my eyes set on this one first and worry about early next week as we get closer to it.

• Like 2

I'm hopeful, but it's quite possible I only pick up an inch or two this weekend and then everything else gets suppressed.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Euro is still pretty weak with wave 1, but I'll gladly take that if it means wave 2 can come north and amp up.

For N IL peeps, the RN/SN line is to close for comfort at this range so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic at this range.  Here's what I'm thinking about:

1) We have cold air in place 

2) NE wind off the lake which can enhance snowfall lakeside

3) Ideal storm track through C IL 

4) Slow moving, long duration event (24+ hours) 

5) Copious moisture 

6) Almost an identical storm track during LRC cycle #2 which I showed in my first post

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

For N IL peeps, the RN/SN line is to close for comfort at this range so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic at this range.  Here's what I'm thinking about:

1) We have cold air in place 

2) NE wind off the lake which can enhance snowfall lakeside

3) Ideal storm track through C IL 

4) Slow moving, long duration event (24+ hours) 

5) Copious moisture 

6) Almost an identical storm track during LRC cycle #2 which I showed in my first post

This can only cut so far so actually liking where we sit right now. Expect bumps south in the future as that has been the case most of this winter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tony said:

This can only cut so far so actually liking where we sit right now. Expect bumps south in the future as that has been the case most of this winter.

Nice looking storm for sure. Get a little more Gulf moisture into this puppy and we could be in for a serious snowstorm...not saying this run is mediocre by any means but lets go Big on this thing...we are definitely due. 

• Like 2

12z EPS is a bit farther S with the mean SLP track taking it through S IL/S IN...it's also farther N with the heavy precip shield compared to 00z run last night...trends are certainly becoming our friends for many...for NE IL folks, this is by far one of the best signals all season long for a widespread winter storm....not to mention, but the LEHS signal at this range is eye opening.

1.png

2.png

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

12z EPS is a bit farther S with the mean SLP track taking it through S IL/S IN...it's also farther N with the heavy precip shield compared to 00z run last night...trends are certainly becoming our friends for many...for NE IL folks, this is by far one of the best signals all season long for a widespread winter storm....not to mention, but the LEHS signal at this range is eye opening.

1.png

2.png

I did forget about lake enhancement as that is definitely a bonus for our side of the pond.

Canadian is at least close to the Euro.  GFS at least has some overrunning snow.  This might be the best chance yet for SWMI  to get in on some action this year.   Still not getting my hopes up until I see back to back to back runs of consistency.  GFS being an outlier concerns me.  Will be interesting to see GRR AFD afternoon update.