1/23 - 1/26 Two Wave Major Winter Storm

Tom

The snow just started back up an hour ago, but there are already more dry pockets lifting back up toward Cedar Rapids.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

14 minutes ago, Grizzcoat said:

These totals are from 6pm. Iam not far from Adel, , son  says it's pushing 10" at 8pm.

IMG_20210125_201100.jpg

HRRR- subtracting the first hour - but than adding the rest gives another 5-7". Someone is central Iowa is getting 15"+out of this.  ( remember pic totals were at 6pm)

• Like 1
  • scream 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

8 minutes ago, james1976 said:

Nice band sitting over me. This system in general goes way out through Nebraska. Impressive 

Thanks James! It's been awhile. It was fun to see! Most places around Lincoln should end up close to 13-14 1inches. County to the east may have hit 18 or so. And it happend in the daylight. That's a plus.

• Like 1
  • scream 2

Just shoveled the walk, went in and got my phone, and this much snow was already on the deck when I came out (the deck is grey).  The path in the picture is at least a foot deep.  That ground was bare yesterday.  It is still snowing hard, and the wind is stronger than it was this afternoon.  Picture taken at 8:45 PM CST.  Picture from the south side of Ankeny, between Ankeny and Des Moines.

20210125_204619[1].jpg

• Like 8
  • Snow 1

This is honestly boring. My 6" call should do pretty well though. Sitting at ~3". Light snow should continue into tomorrow morning at rates of what seems like half an inch an hour at best.

• Like 3

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

I just measured 3”. Couldn’t say with certainty how accurate it is due to the drifting. But I found a spot that seems to be not affected so bad. We might tack on a couple more yet. But overall a pretty big disappointment considering what models had shown for days. 

• Like 2

The best dendritic growth right now looks to be about 15-20 mile south of highway 20 in Iowa. These pulse like returns in Iowa are mostly spitting pixie dust and very small flakes. The more banded precip to the north is likely doing much better.

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

16 minutes ago, JeepinWX said:

Just shoveled the walk, went in and got my phone, and this much snow was already on the deck when I came out (the deck is grey).  The path in the picture is at least a foot deep.  That ground was bare yesterday.  It is still snowing hard, and the wind is stronger than it was this afternoon.  Picture taken at 8:45 PM CST.  Picture from the south side of Ankeny, between Ankeny and Des Moines.

20210125_204619[1].jpg

Welcome to the board!!! Always nice to have more Des Moines area folks....

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

15 minutes ago, shakjen said:

Has anyone seen the wind they were calling for? Had a couple gusts near 20 but nothing like the 30-35 they were talking about. 

KDSM gusted to 32mph at 4::23pm but since about 6 pm relaxing a tad....

The models that showed the best snow both south and north of Cedar Rapids may have been correct.  It is barely snowing here yet again.  Even when we were under the good radar returns an hour or two ago, it was only moderate.  Combine the inconsistent, less-than-heavy snow with the nighttime timing and I'm pretty unimpressed by this storm.  I think 6" is the max we could possibly get now, with 4" quite possible. :(  Even the driest models may have been too bullish for CR.

• Sad 2

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

The first 12" report just came in from just west of Des Moines.

Here's the latest HRRR.  Heaviest going north of CR... can't believe that's the way this will end up.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The first 12" report just came in from just west of Des Moines.

Here's the latest HRRR.  Heaviest going north of CR... can't believe that's the way this will end up.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

No way we even get 6.  Doesn’t matter what radar shows we get pixie dust.  If we are getting dry air how does further north of us get that?

1 minute ago, BMT said:

No way we even get 6.  Doesn’t matter what radar shows we get pixie dust.  If we are getting dry air how does further north of us get that?

At first the dry air was advecting in from the east/northeast.  Now it's coming from the south.

• Thanks 1

South, east, north, and now northwest of me.🙄 Every new focused area of returns has been all around me. It’s no wonder I’m at least 2-3” lower than most the other reports around the metro.

I think I’ve been in the dark green reflectivity for maybe an hour of the 15 hours it’s been snowing now today and definitely no yellow returns over me.

I realize I’ve been pretty D**n whiny and for that I apologize 😁😁

135A4376-1E97-405E-BFBD-D478B768D34E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 5