1/23 - 1/26 Two Wave Major Winter Storm

Tom

49 minutes ago, ToastedRavs said:

Live downtown Des Moines.Β  Just under 10 inches at midnight. Hard to find good place to measure though. Drifts 2 to 3 feet, which my little sports car didn't take kindly to as I drove to work. Luckily Iowa nice and had 3 folks shovel me out, myself included. Roads are not bad once you get to main ones. Snow covered and packed down, just those interchanges that are a b!tch. Still snowing so could get to the magic 12 inches downtownΒ 

Different story in rural Dallas. Borderline Blizzard, but not quite. My lower level windows which start at the ground and go up 3' are nearly 1/3 to 1/2 covered onΒ  the base. So you can only see out about half the window.

• Like 3
  • Snow 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Woke up not long ago and looked out my window and it was snowing as hard as it has during this storm.Β  Big fat dendrites and a howling wind.Β  As a kid, I remember these moments like they were yesterday, always have and always will enjoy waking up to heavy snow!Β  I was a little nervous about the slow start, but recent radar trends have intensified and I managed to pick up a about 2.5" since about 9:00pm when I only had a coating OTG.Β  I am worried about being dry slotted as radar trends indicate this storm actually may be tracking farther N than modeled.Β  I'm hoping there is more re-development south of I-80 as the defo band pivots.

Congrats to all of you who have seen and witnessed one of the more memorable snowstorms in recent history!Β  Love reading your commentary and seeing the videos being posted.Β  It appears the SW Flow delivered, ay???

Β 

• Like 1

BTW-

the ratios I got at midnight at KDSM were exactly 15:1 . 5.4" snow. Melted down was .36".

On my drive home- snow become much drier and temp dropped to 17. So guessing 17:1 or so. Much higher ratios that I thought. And maybr a reason totals are slightly higher than even Mr Kuchera was saying...

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

• Tom changed the title to 1/23 - 1/26 Two Wave Major Winter Storm

Downtown Chicago is getting crushed right now... @JayceeΒ Β is going to wake up into a winter wonderland!Β 

14.gif

Β 

Β 

FWIW, this is what the 00z Euro showed will fall by tonight...

2.png

Β 

LOT has my interests perked up a bit for the LES later tonight into Wednesday...

LES parameters become somewhat favorable Wednesday morning as CAA
increases lake-EL values to around 5kft with 850hPa-lake delta Ts
of ~14C. While these values do not suggest significant LES,
enhanced dynamics from a low-level convergent axis and a passing
mid-level trough should help overcome deficiencies in the thermal
profile. Concern still exists for a dominant LES band to affect
Cook and Lake(IN) counties during the morning and into the
afternoon. Evolution of single band LES can be difficult to
forecast even 24 hours out, but at this time the band should have
enough motion to prevent an extensive residence time over any
given location. For that reason, the current forecast is for 1-2"
Wednesday from far northeast Cook County through Chicago and into
northwest Lake(IN). With all that said, if conditions begin to
look more favorable for a stronger band to sit over an area for
several hours Wednesday morning, a Winter Weather Advisory for 3"+
in a narrow corridor may be needed, especially given the
potential impacts for the morning commute.

Β 

• Like 1

When I measured last night around 11:00pm I had at least 4”, but not much more. Hate windy snows for collecting/measuring. That December 29 storm was more exciting than this one. Maximum wind here yesterday was 36 mph. That’s probably a little low as a littleΒ snow collects in the anemometer cups even when it’s windy. Β 
Β 

Oh I forgot to mention I probably got only around 5.5” total. I measured several times early this morning.

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 1
  • lol 1

It mostly ended here by 4:00 am already. I’m not sure what to think, but my gauge catches (4 total) all melted down to over 1” of liquid. My core sample from around 5.3” of snow melted to only 0.62”. In windy snows I lean my gauges approximately 15Β°-20Β° into the wind. They are 3’ - 4’ above the ground and I think very little blew in from drifting. But the higher amounts seem to high. I’m confused once again! Lol.Β I need to do more research.

6 hours ago, jaster220 said:

Solid dusting here! Feels like an 80's storm. 5 hours into a headline and wondering when it's going to snow?? That was the era of mega-busts. You think this is bad? Believe it or not, the NWS has come a long ways with forecast accuracy. It's actually a rarity to see a storm FAIL like what happened last January 12th.

I have about an inch and it’s only freezing drizzle now. They were calling for like 4 inches as were most models. Bust.Β 

I just took a look at the long range radar loop and it looks like it just ripped down here right after i went to bed.Β  Snow just kept redeveloping right over my area.Β  Gonna try to confirm my measurement, but based on how far down in the snow the dogs are when they went out, I think 8" may be accurate.Β 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Here’s the latest map. It should change a few more times. That person in Iowa county (adjacent co. west of me) must of stuck his ruler in a little drift. Looks a little iffy.

Β 

B2ED739F-8F5E-406C-A3D4-6128114CBACA.png

I can see close to 8” by my place. Did not set my gauge out because I only thought we would get 3” or so. Course with the wind probably would not have mattered..

Dubuque 2007-2008 Winter

Β 

78.1" Β Total snowfall

February Snowfall 32.5"

City salt usage Β : 12,211 tons

Days of measurable snow Β : 40

I just returned from drift busting in rural Dallas CTY and several of the roads were so obscure I could not tell road from fields. Turned around twice. (30 years ago I'd be in the ditch) -- Blizzard was worse- but this is much more snow and harder to tell what is what even with smaller drifts as the ditches are full of snow.

• Like 4

Officially finished with a two-day total of 12.5” at Omaha Eppley, the 11.9" that fell yesterday registers as the biggest one day snowfall since 1975. This will be a storm that will be remembered around here for a long time.

Lots of school and business closings locally again today as we will need some time toΒ dig out from this one.

• Like 5

Getting hit hard again as the lake is becoming an influence. Β You can see the lake enhancement on radar and I could tell the snow is fluffier than before. Β Picked up an additional 1.2” since last measurement bringing me to a total so far of 5.2”.

• Like 5