1/23 - 1/26 Two Wave Major Winter Storm

Tom

Per SPC mesoanalysis, deeper omega values & higher dendritic layer RH values gradually shifting northwards through Nebraska, which ought to be more conducive to heavier snow. Could also help intensify those >30 dBZ radar returns which seem to have a bit of trouble getting established much north of Nebraska City, like OmahaSnowFan remarked on. Trending positively, just need to translate it to having it actually happen!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Stormhunter87 said:

There is some dry air in northeastern KS I'm worried about.

Same here kinda. Still pounding as I type, at least 8-9" is basically locked in but it would be a slight bummer if Lincoln was cut off at 3 pm. 

• Like 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

Just started to flurry here.  I wasn't expecting snow til 4-6pm.

Yea top down saturation was rapid here. Returns only started blossoming over E IA about a half hour ago.

though really, the dry layer here was modest at 12z and one can only assume that persistent SEly moisture advection eroded that further through the noon hour.

DVN.gif

• Like 1

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

31 minutes ago, Stormhunter87 said:

There is some dry air in northeastern KS I'm worried about.

Looks like it's associated with a modest area of surface moisture divergence, a small pocket of divergence which has been moving northeast through Kansas for the last several hours. Should maintain its motion and stay away from the area, I'd be more concerned if I were in southwest Iowa.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Snowman said:

Looks like it's associated with a modest area of surface moisture divergence, a small pocket of divergence which has been moving northeast through Kansas for the last several hours. Should maintain its motion and stay away from the area, I'd be more concerned if I were in southwest Iowa.

I hope so. Already looking dry by falls city west.

Final full-storm HRRR.... although this doesn't take into account the full Chicago lake-effect snow.

snku_acc.us_mw.png

• Like 2

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

2 minutes ago, Stormhunter87 said:

I hope so. Already looking dry by falls city west.

Watching Bill Randby now and he is saying snow may linger all the way into 9a tomorrow. Additional 7-9" on top of what we already have now, and like 10-16" totals! 

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Started snowing in the last 5 -10 minutes. It’s mostly grauple already with a bunch of little balls on the sidewalk.

Same here.  The first "flurries" were like little white plant fertilizer balls.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Just now, Hawkeye said:

Same here.  The first "flurries" were like little white plant fertilizer balls.

Iowa City has transitioned to a light snow now with small flakes. Shouldn't be long for you guys.

2021-22 Snowfall: (Hiawatha)

TOTAL: 10.2"

(12/28: 3.0") (12/29: 0.8") 

(1/1: 6.4")

KOAX showing a little filling in on radar down by Tecumseh; nothing to write home about, but at least signals that we don't appear to be at risk of the column rapidly drying out in the near future in southeast Nebraska. Aforementioned small pocket of surface divergence that seemed to be drying out returns in northeast Kansas is also now moving into northern Missouri, perhaps driving some of that filling-in nearby. 

• Like 2