February 2021 Observations and Discussion

Hawkeye

6 hours ago, snowstorm83 said:

00z GFS not really all that mild in the long range. It looks like just mid 30s at best for most around the weekend time frame and then colder. Which actually will feel like summer after exiting the deep freezer. I'm kind of looking forward to a sharp warm up by the end of the month, but I'll let mother nature do what it do. 

I thought temps in the long range may come down a little.  By Wednesday night the snow cover and depth will be insane deep into Texas.  Going to take awhile to warm up much, plus clouds and fog with melting snow will keep temps down for awhile.

• Like 1

❄️Thursday looks promising for another big snowmaker possibly for SMI. Similar track is projected. Have to keep an really close eye on it.

• Snow 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024:

Season So Far: 26.7"

With just over inch of new snow fall here over night I now have 12.2" of snow on the ground. The sun has just came out here and the current temperature is now at 12° I had a over night low of 9. Officially at GRR the seasons snow fall is now at 35.8" As of yesterday the officially there was 10" of snow on the ground.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChiTownWeather said:

Two inches last night before today’s main event. 

You can see the “snapshot in time” of recent snows (I was able to decipher bc each snow by consistency/weight/shade). 

404C2C8C-9D44-40A2-A2BC-FA32DABFAE87.jpeg

I noticed the same thing on my deck.  Pretty neat stuff.

Accu-Weather on board w another big snowmaker for SMI for late week system......6-12 "❄️

https://cms.accuweather.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/hd23-1.jpg?w=632

• Like 1
  • scream 1

April 2024:

I've managed to cross the zero degrees threshold so it looks like I won't set any kind of really long consecutive hours stretch below zero.

It's been pretty cool to watch the temps jump around real time with the network of Ambient weather stations online on this site: https://ambientweather.net/ 

I'm zoomed into Omaha and you can see the variance across town. My temperature seems a bit warmer compared to other parts of the city, but there is another station not too far away that's been pretty close to what mine has been reporting. It refreshes every two minutes and has been jumping around by sometimes more than a degree with each 2 minute update!

That's where I have my weather station shared to as well:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/530ccfef4ca30329b2e6d1d76dceeac7

I was sitting at -2.9 at 235p and by 245p I was at 0.9 above zero. Since then it's been going back and forth around -1.5 degrees and has now gone back down to -3.3 degrees.

Winter weather temps especially have always fascinated me with the way the temps can jump around so much with the wind, clouds, etc.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

I've managed to cross the zero degrees threshold so it looks like I won't set any kind of really long consecutive hours stretch below zero.

It's been pretty cool to watch the temps jump around real time with the network of Ambient weather stations online on this site: https://ambientweather.net/ 

I'm zoomed into Omaha and you can see the variance across town. My temperature seems a bit warmer compared to other parts of the city, but there is another station not too far away that's been pretty close to what mine has been reporting. It refreshes every two minutes and has been jumping around by sometimes more than a degree with each 2 minute update!

That's where I have my weather station shared to as well:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/530ccfef4ca30329b2e6d1d76dceeac7

I was sitting at -2.9 at 235p and by 245p I was at 0.9 above zero. Since then it's been going back and forth around -1.5 degrees and has now gone back down to -3.3 degrees.

Winter weather temps especially have always fascinated me with the way the temps can jump around so much with the wind, clouds, etc.

I have tried getting my weather station online but can’t figure it out! Any tips?!

Tomorrow nite when skies clear out, my temp will plummet like crazy. I am expecting record lows here as temps are forecasted to drop between -10 to -15F or lower. Freshdeep snowpack, clear skies, no wind will do the trick. Vibes of Winter 2013-14. Absolutely brutal.

• Like 2

April 2024:

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

You got above zero??? D**n look at you toasting over there lol. 

• lol 1

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

17 minutes ago, gabel23 said:

2902 b actually! Looks like yours is one better than mine!! 😂 

Here's the manual. https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@site.ambientweatherstore.com/ssl/Manuals/WS-2902A.pdf

Page 34 section 7 gives instructions on how to get it online. You'll need to download the AWNET console app first. That creates an online account for you. You then can put your station online on ambientweather.net and other web hosting sites like weatherunderground. I also downloaded the ambient weather app for my phone. I mainly use this app though for my weather station that I like the "look" of better, PWS monitor. Hope this helps! If you have any issues, let me know and I can try and help. Otherwise, I know ambient weather has a Facebook group and they are very helpful too!

ON a lighter note- with the epic winter conditions-last night when I got home from work I was bit disappointed that TWC was not in 24 hour mode with the "C" team on in the early morning hours like they do with hurricanes. That usually means a Ray Stagich sighting- everyone's favorite TV met!!!

• Confused 1

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

13 hours ago, Niko said:

Accu-Weather on board w another big snowmaker for SMI for late week system......6-12 "❄️

https://cms.accuweather.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/hd23-1.jpg?w=632

WPC agrees and picks it up on the 18th (d3):

20210215 CPC hazards_d3_7_contours.png

• Like 2

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 52.8" (89% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.1 Apr: 0.0

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = xx.x" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

By the time this week is over, the majority of our Sub will have experienced the culmination of peak winter for this season.  The past couple weeks are going to go down in the history books as one of the most memorable attacks of extreme Winter wx for a large majority of our nation.  What remains for the rest of this month?  As we back out of this incredibly cold pattern that has been influenced by the displaced Polar Vortex, I opined that the Hudson Bay block would then influence our pattern post PV.  The next system that appears to be our next MW/GL's snow maker is showing up for late this weekend.

Last night's 00z UKIE/GGEM all see a decent moderate snow event for parts of NE/IA/IL into the GL's...00z Euro was a lot weaker this run and developed later once near MI.  

00z Ukie...

snku_acc.us_c.png

snku_024h.us_mw.png

00z Candian...

snku_024h.us_mw.png

snku_024h.us_c.png

So, while we get out of this extreme cold, the pattern will still be conducive to produce snow systems.  Keep 'em coming???

• Like 3
  • Snow 2

Another WWA has been issued for tomorrow.  NWS going with an additional 1-3.  The NAM keeps the piece of energy breaking from the main storm going and effects all the same areas that have just been hit.  The other models have it falling apart once it leaves MO.  GFS has 5in totals near mby.  @OKwx2k4 looks like another 4-6 for you maybe more. @Niko some models tack on another 2-3 for you on Thursday with the main storm.

6z GFS

snku_acc.us_ov.png

6z NAM

snku_acc.us_ov.png

snku_024h.us_mw.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Snow 1

27 minutes ago, FV-Mike said:

Crazy note from LOT on Chicago area's Feb so far. 

A remarkable stretch, with Chicago having seen measurable
snow on 12 of the 16 days of February including today and going
back to January 25th, 16 of the past 23 days with measurable snow

I think we just tied the old record for 9 consecutive days with measurable snow.  An extraordinary stretch of winter weather.  Unlike the previous record streak in Feb ‘18, this one will surpass it in many ways.  The amount of powdery snows on top of snow is a visual I’ll never forget. On the drive to the gym this morning, the piles and drifts look like the snow belts up north.  Just amazing to see.  A lot of people (including Tom Skilling) in Chicago have been referencing the late 70’s as being a comparable stretch.  How much do you have OTG?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Tom said:

I think we just tied the old record for 9 consecutive days with measurable snow.  An extraordinary stretch of winter weather.  Unlike the previous record streak in Feb ‘18, this one will surpass it in many ways.  The amount of powdery snows on top of snow is a visual I’ll never forget. On the drive to the gym this morning, the piles and drifts look like the snow belts up north.  Just amazing to see.  A lot of people (including Tom Skilling) in Chicago have been referencing the late 70’s as being a comparable stretch.  How much do you have OTG?

Yep, I am amazed at the piles. I live on a cul-de-sac and  our town had the front loader out this morning pushing the snow and loading into dump trucks. its been since 13-14 since the last time saw that!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FV-Mike said:

Yep, I am amazed at the piles. I live on a cul-de-sac and  our town had the front loader out this morning pushing the snow and loading into dump trucks. its been since 13-14 since the last time saw that!

That sounds amazing.  I'm reading some of the snow reports in the city and many locals have 2 Foot snow depths.  Just remarkable.  It's like nature literally balanced out the seasons snow totals/depths in NE IL when basically everyone in the NW burbs and into NW IL have had snow OTG since late December.

• Like 3

As of today, I currently have 19.0" of snow otg. Huge mountains everywhere ya look. Now, this is real Winter! Oh, and my temp is a chilly 14F attm w mostly cloudy skies. Snow has pretty much ended, except for a few snowshowers that may develop from lake Huron later on this afternoon.

• Like 4

April 2024: