December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Guest Winterdog

Down to 27F so if the clouds (grrr) don't mess things up it should be my 10th low in the teens this fall.  Also with 3 sub-freezing highs and 3" of snow, this autumn is a rare bird indeed.

A pretty unusual inversion situation right now.  Brisk north winds blowing below the inversion layer in many places.  The temp fell like a rock this evening here in spite of the breeze still coming up at times.  This also appears to be killing the down sloping east winds I was worried about for tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Down to 27F so if the clouds (grrr) don't mess things up it should be my 10th low in the teens this fall. Also with 3 sub-freezing highs and 3" of snow, this autumn is a rare bird indeed.

Had my 5th sub-freezing high this season so far today and I've also seen 5" of snow thus far. Not bad for only December 2nd, especially considering the imminent blockbuster January on the way. ;)

• Like 1

I hadn't thought about it until today, but the last few weeks have been similar to 1994. That year we also had a cold snap in mid-November (37/30 at PDX with 0.3" of snow) and again in early December, when PDX pulled off 36/24 along with a 1" to 1.5" snowfall around town on December 5th.

That was also a Nino.

I hadn't thought about it until today, but the last few weeks have been similar to 1994. That year we also had a cold snap in mid-November (37/30 at PDX with 0.3" of snow) and again in early December, when PDX pulled off 36/24 along with a 1" to 1.5" snowfall around town on December 5th.

That was also a Nino.

Warm summer and record warm September (tied with this year at PDX) in 1994 too.

January 1995 wasn't too exciting.

That was also a Nino.

I was wondering if there was any relation to 1994. The Portland area might do well later in the winter snow-wise, with Bellingham remaining fairly dry, assuming we see another decent cold snap or two. Hopefully we'll all see a little snow.

I was wondering if there was any relation to 1994. The Portland area might do well later in the winter snow-wise, with Bellingham remaining fairly dry, assuming we see another decent cold snap or two. Hopefully we'll all see a little snow.

Portland also had a near miss in early January 1995. We did get some wet snowfall and highs in the 30's, but I remember forecasts being a lot more dreamy. It was a bust.

A pretty unusual inversion situation right now.  Brisk north winds blowing below the inversion layer in many places.  The temp fell like a rock this evening here in spite of the breeze still coming up at times.  This also appears to be killing the down sloping east winds I was worried about for tonight.

You were worried about that?   :)

As long as you are worrying about a couple degrees here or there in the middle of the night... might want to look at the IR satellite and that massive shield of high clouds moving in!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

You were worried about that? :)

As long as you are worrying about a couple degrees here or there in the middle of the night... might want to look at the IR satellite and that massive shield of high clouds moving in!

Sounds on par with a marine push nightmare.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

And actually that event Cliff is erroneously referring to as a marine push was in fact a strong outflow boundary from the decaying severe thunderstorm complex over NW OR. June 4, 2009. Big time, baby. Remember it well. 

It was a combo.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

19 for a low in Battle Ground. 

Then dense fog quickly formed.  It was thick for much of the morning, then it burned off and more clouds rolled in.  Forecast high was around 42-44, ended up at 38.

No east wind here until this evening, and it's just a drift.

Meanwhile at Crown Point, gusts at 90 mph on the sensor.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=D6193&table=1&banner=off

Was 19 when I left my house about 45min ago. I wish we would stay cold and dry all week, most all of my snow is still preserved right now.

So I went to my property in eastern wa for the thanksgiving weekend. Property is 25 miles nw of republic about 8 miles south of the Canadian border. At 2:30 friday afternoon it was raining and 43. 24 hrs later it was clear and windy after a little snow and 2 degrees! We had a low of 14 below. Whole different world working in those temps.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

19 for a low in Battle Ground. 

Then dense fog quickly formed.  It was thick for much of the morning, then it burned off and more clouds rolled in.  Forecast high was around 42-44, ended up at 38.

No east wind here until this evening, and it's just a drift.

Meanwhile at Crown Point, gusts at 90 mph on the sensor.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=D6193&table=1&banner=off

I always know when Crown Point is being blasted.  When there is a strong easterly gradient but it's calm here they have insane winds.  It seems to have something to do with inversions.  Could someone explain the mechanics of how an inversion has the power to stop outflow winds here?

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

So I went to my property in eastern wa for the thanksgiving weekend. Property is 25 miles nw of republic about 8 miles south of the Canadian border. At 2:30 friday afternoon it was raining and 43. 24 hrs later it was clear and windy after a little snow and 2 degrees! We had a low of 14 below. Whole different world working in those temps.

-14 is pretty impressive for this early in the season.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Good stuff, Abbotsford_wx.

Confirms a couple things. The long term trend is for less snowfall, and the 1940's sucked.

I personally think 1938 through 1945 was the most horrible period on record here for lame winters.  Jan 1943 was a notable exception but other than that....horrible.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Very surprisingly the GFS shows a minus PNA returning later in week two.  Regardless I think we get one more round this winter and it will be the biggy.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Very surprisingly the GFS shows a minus PNA returning later in week two. Regardless I think we get one more round this winter and it will be the biggy.

One more round left? And then we spend the next 11 months analyzing the next exciting winter! :)

Here is my view off my deck and the little cabin. Talked to a guy who has lived up there for 25 years and the coldest he has seen it there is - 42 and the deepest snow about 6 feet.

Love it... how long is the drive?