December 2014 Observations for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

I am convinced that you like the cold and snow in the Winter, but in all fairness, this is the fifth year that you have complained.

About what?   I was the one guaranteeing the arctic outbreak around Christmas last year.    Could not have been more wrong!

I am not blaming anyone... just pointing out something it seems we do every year.

I like the chances right now in about 10 days.    Just have been burned numerous years in a row.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

About what?   I was the one guaranteeing the arctic outbreak around Christmas last year.    Could not have been more wrong!

I am not blaming anyone... just pointing out something it seems we do every year.

I like the chances right now in about 10 days.    Just have been burned numerous years in a row.

Is that interesting?  Cold weather freaks wanting cold air during the coldest time of the year?  Weird, wacko stuff, man...

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Is that interesting?  Cold weather freaks wanting cold air during the coldest time of the year?  Weird, wacko stuff, man...

For me its also that the week between Christmas and New Years is the best of the entire cold season for obvious reasons... so I become even less objective!

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

For me its also that the week between Christmas and New Years is the best of the entire cold season for obvious reasons... so I become even less objective!

The days start getting longer a week from today!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

My god.... who cares.

You allowing what is said on here to affect you emotionally is weirder than what is talked about.

I have just simply stopped paying attention to him.  Just nothing but sour grapes this year.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Jan 2013 was the one winter I was really bullish on an early January Arctic event for the West. It worked out, but ended up fairly weak for the PNW.

Another time in recent years where it definitely got cold enough for you guys to get snow, but just didn't come together.

It was certainly cold enough.  I got an inch or so.  We just needed more moisture.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have just simply stopped paying attention to him.  Just nothing but sour grapes this year.

Sour grapes?   Can you tell me about what?   :lol:  

Awesome summer, fall, and now early winter.   I am running on 10 months of getting everything I hoped for weatherwise.    Does not get better.   And 2013 was awesome as well.

2014 has sealed itself has being one of my favorite weather years in my life.     

I wouldn't call January 2013 "Arctic" at all, at least not until after the 20th when the big blast slid east of the Rockies. The earlier airmass that came down over the intermountain west had no arctic connection..

Eh, I'm not going to argue about it, but I think some of the numbers in the West speak for themselves. 

Spokane: two sub-20 highs

Boise: 17/2

Salt Lake City: 14/-2

Denver: 11/-5

Those aren't numbers that happen without Arctic air.

A forum for the end of the world.

The PNW has until mid-January to score, as a Niño-esque pattern will likely return in late January..just a heads up..

I have generally thought this way all along for this winter.  On the other hand it appears the Nino could weaken pretty substantially in the coming weeks and you do have winters like 1994-95 that managed an Arctic event in Feb.  As long as we have a great Jan I really don't care if that's it though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Embodies this team's biggest weakness quite nicely.

Ironic to see they probably iced this game on an absolutely awful big play penalty... against the opposition.  Awful call, that is.  

Buck and Aikman are whining like babies about it. Score would be 13-7 and SEA defense has still dominated the entire half. Better excuse for SF would be Gore's injury, that was truly fortunate.

Embodies this team's biggest weakness quite nicely.

Ironic to see they probably iced this game on an absolutely awful big play penalty... against the opposition.  Awful call, that is.  

Yeah... Aikman will not stop talking about it.

But we have been the victim of crap calls in the past as well.

Buck and Aikman are whining like babies about it. Score would be 13-7 and SEA defense has still dominated the entire half. Better excuse for SF would be Gore's injury, that was truly fortunate.

I agree completely.  A comeback was still unlikely and the Gore injury was huge.  They were mixing it up nicely in the first half.  Almost made #7 look competent.  

Eh, I'm not going to argue about it, but I think some of the numbers in the West speak for themselves.

Spokane: two sub-20 highs

Boise: 17/2

Salt Lake City: 14/-2

Denver: 11/-5

Those aren't numbers that happen without Arctic air.

Sure they can, Canadian air is plenty cold. There was no Arctic connection at that time, though..

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

I have generally thought this way all along for this winter. On the other hand it appears the Nino could weaken pretty substantially in the coming weeks and you do have winters like 1994-95 that managed an Arctic event in Feb. As long as we have a great Jan I really don't care if that's it though.

I'm really craving a triple phaser right now, haha..just give me a few bombs and I'll be a happy camper.

Winter has started strong here despite the lack of significant Arctic air so far..

Sure they can, Canadian air is plenty cold. There was no Arctic connection at that time, though..

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here.

FWIW, I consider Arctic air and Canadian air to be the same thing. It came from the north. Its cold. Does it really matter if it originated at 58N or 66N?

FWIW, I consider Arctic air and Canadian air to be the same thing. It came from the north. Its cold. Does it really matter if it originated at 58N or 66N?

Yes 80N vs 55N matters..that's an entirely different jet you're talking about..

It's the concept of source region..The February of 2010 was devoid of any real Arctic air in the US, despite being a very cold month. The January 2014 blast was truly Arctic, as was December 2010..

FWIW, I consider Arctic air and Canadian air to be the same thing. It came from the north. Its cold. Does it really matter if it originated at 58N or 66N?[/quote

Well, I can tell you that here on the ground, it was indistinguishable from any other number of events that apparently originated at a higher latitude. The news even called it an Arctic blast. So there! :)

A forum for the end of the world.

Part of Canada is even in the Arctic! Whatever you want to call it, it came from the north, it was cold, and it affected the West with some major negative anomalies.

Lol, it "came" from central Alberta, there was no cross-polar flow, or even a polar low nearby.

Whatever floats your boat I guess. :)

It's the concept of source region..The February of 2010 was devoid of any real Arctic air in the US, despite being a very cold month. The January 2014 blast was truly Arctic, as was December 2010..

I don't really care about that stuff to be honest with you. To me, cold air is cold air. The only distinction I make is whether its "fake cold" or if there is upper level support.

Well, I can tell you that here on the ground, it was indistinguishable from any other number of events that apparently originated at a higher latitude. The news even called it an Arctic blast. So there! :)

Haha, I digress. It got cold, mid-latitude wave train was highly amplified. I just look at things in a detail-oriented manner.

No one had more than a inch and a half or so that I remember.  We were at WSU Vancouver that Saturday night and there was a little under an inch.  

At any rate, it was nice.  Cold too.  

Definitely 2-3" in the Salmon Creek area that morning, my mom reported about that too before sublimation kicked in.

https://fox12weather.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/marksnowtotalsnorthmetroonly.png

I don't really care about that stuff to be honest with you. To me, cold air is cold air. The only distinction I make is whether its "fake cold" or if there is upper level support.

That's fair. Specifics matter a lot to me, that's all. :)

I agree with you. It's maybe a fine line, but it seems like a reasonable distinction to make IMO. In any case the 2013 pattern was clearly lacking the low level CAA teeth that our legitimate arctic near misses still tend to exhibit.

I agree with you. It's maybe a fine line, but it seems like a reasonable distinction to make IMO. In any case the 2013 pattern was clearly lacking the low level CAA teeth that our legitimate arctic near misses still tend to exhibit.

I'm sticking to my guns on this one. There are usually benefits to big picture thinking, but I don't see this being one of those cases. Forget laypeople, even most weather weenies won't care if their cold airmass came down from Alberta or Nunavut. It doesn't matter.